• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 CRX
    Garage View Garage
Today I want to take the tranny off my parts car ( motors out ) and I got it apart from the block but I am unable to turn the crank to remove the drive plate bolts. Is there a way that I can remove them without turning the block? By the way the torque converter is on the crank and the tranny is off.
Conceal nothing... And watch the fools search forever!

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
<--------Flywheel tool
You need one of these, they are availible at autoZone and you can purchase them from snap-on They arent cheap. Its used to keep the flywheel/torque converter from moving when you are trying to break loose bolts.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Breaking the bolts loose isn't the problem. The problem is that the motor is locked up and I cant turn it to get to all the bolts.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
You're screwed.

Open up the oil pan and figure out why the motor is seized. You won't be able to do anything without removing the plate and converter since these need to be removed in order to remove the rear seal, and the rear seal needs to be removed in order to pull the crank. You might also have to pull the head off the block depending on what's damaged inside the block.

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thats what I was afraid of. I was going to rebuild the motor as long as there was no major damage. I just wanted to get it onto the engine stand to work on that all.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That tool is also used to turn the crank, by utilizing the teeth on the flywheel and the torque converter, when trying to get around to those bolts. I had to rent one because my motor wasn't seized, I just couldn't turn it by hand, I didn't have the leverage I needed to do so.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I've blown up a few motors, but the most spectacular one had to be when I blew a rod cap and sent the piston flying into the valves where they immediately imbedded themselves into the piston locking it in place. The rod end expanded out and wedged itself between the crank and cylinder walls, while the cap snapped and wedged itself against it's sister rod. On the outside the motor looked fine, but I couldn't turn the motor over at all. Needless to say this motor was toast and there was no tool that was going help me turn it over.

BTW, this was a Dodge Dart slant 6, which everyone claims to be indestructible, yet somehow I found a way to destroy it. rolleyes.gif

Edited by lxndr, 28 May 2007 - 04:12 PM.

a4x0n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 1987 CRX DX
can't you drop the rod caps and turn the crank?

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I could I just was trying other methods first. The motor has been sitting for almost 2 years so who knows whats in it. The PO has started to do a rebuild and just cut hoses and wires. THere were no plugs in it so I think that it may be full of water, the tranny was.