What Grit Sandpaper To Polish Taillights?

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

gqstylesupreme

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX
i've heard you can restore old crappy looking taillights by sanding them with wet/dry paper. has anyone done this, and what grits would i use?

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (gqstylesupreme @ Nov 11 2005, 08:23 AM)
i've heard you can restore old crappy looking taillights by sanding them with wet/dry paper. has anyone done this, and what grits would i use?

toothpaste and a lot of time. I am not kidding. i even used them on other flushmount headlamps.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

redsautorehab

• 3gen enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 00 Dodge Durango, 01 Ford F250, 99 Chevy Tracker, 82 suzuki rm250
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you need a buffer, or badpenny's idea

i,ve tried 2200 grit sandpaper, and it leaves a slight haze, that needs constant waxing
"You play hard to get, I play hard to get rid of" Fez, That 70's Show

my website if you need parts for your car, and i don't have them at on my website, just pm me. I can get most of the common parts for our cars.

my vouch thread

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
From my KAKABOX thread:
"Then, with all the rear lenses removed, I clamped them up individually in a B-D Workmate and took the scratches out using a couple of grades of polishing compound on a foam pad attached to a Porter-Cable random orbital buffer. I restored their gloss using Klasse All-In-One on a waxing foam pad and the Porter-Cable."

Before:

...after:

I used Griott Garage Machine Polish #1 & #2, but other similar polishes (Meguires #4 or #2 & #9) would probably work just as well. The polishes used on foam pads w/a machine buffer get the scratches out, but the Klasse All-In-One is really the key to restoring the gloss...and it lasts a very long time. I recommend using foam pads; wool/fiber pads can get hot and melt the plastic if you're not careful. Klasse: http://superiorcarcare.net/klalpo.html

Cheers.

yodaboy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
QUOTE (gqstylesupreme @ Nov 11 2005, 08:23 AM)

3M makes a great plastic polish which only needs a little rubbing and gives a great shine. Pour a little dab on a terry cloth and rub away. Then buff with a clean terry cloth towel and voila!! New looking lenses. You can even wax them to keep'em shiny

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx si
i second the 3m polish,

just ask for 3m plastic polish, it works great on motorcycle windsheilds , cd's , goggles, anything polycarbonate or plastic.

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

My project needs your help
Parts wanted

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
i 3rd the 3m polish, we used it to take some really bad scuff marks out of my new paint on my rear bumper, was hauling firewood on rack that we made to go behind the car and the bundles scratched the hell out of my bumper..... anyway, half an hour of polishing and now you cant even tell anything happened. i just pulled a really superduper nice set of tail lights off my parts car and i'm going to give the 3M a shot on those. i'll post pics when their done.....

Edited by JeepGirl, 15 May 2006 - 08:40 AM.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depending on how bad the lights are scratched, you can wetsand with 2000 grit paper, polish with 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, then polish with Mequiar's Plasti-X plastic polish. I've done this by hand on my 3G, both of my DSMs and my dad's Neon and the results were great.

DSMTimeline.jpg

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
way i do it is, sand em with some 1500-2000 get the new plastic back, then hit it with a couple coats of Clear, then pollish out the clear with some wax, looks great and should help them from fading ever again
Posted Image

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Mother's plastic polish.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx ,98 malibu ,90 hatch,87 hatch trailer,87 legend,95 dodge neon,90 civic sedan SE
    • Image Gallery
what about heating them up wont that bring back the shine ????

My Webpage
(quote by RareCrx)HAVE A MADD TYTE DIGGITY DOGG ,BUBBLES SPRAYIN ON THE INTERCOOLER, poopin ON A 8 SECOND CHEVELLE WITH MY MINI-ME SWAP DAY..

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I use finess-it rubbing compound from a local auto paint supplier by hand or with a buffer it works great also Bluemagic plastic & plexiglass cleaned and light scratch remover work surprisingly well and can be picked up at your local auto parts store.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
QUOTE (phatboycrxhf @ May 16 2006, 02:37 AM)
what about heating them up wont that bring back the shine ????

have you thought that this might crack/distort/damage them?
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation