D16A1 Total Advance?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
I've researched for several days and can't seem to find a good number. D15/EW seems to be about 33/34 (not sure that's for a stock motor either) max but can't find a good number for the A1. I gotta invest in a better timing light since tuning base timing is a gamble at best. Seems to be some power in timing since the 2* I gave it Friday seemed to work. Well, I did give it some cooler air.

Stock block, Delta 272's, header, pg7, 91 octane, nuttin fancy.

Thanks y'all!

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Mine has been cranked full advance for the past 3 years (20,000-25,000 miles) with no problems.

Just keep good 93 in it.

Joseph

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
What is "full advance?" I understand turning the dizzy as far as you can but curious what that # is. I'm sure there is a point of diminishing return.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

The timing mark is at 14* and the two marks on either side are 2* each. You could measure the gap and add more 2* marks and see what the timing light lines them up at.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

I understand, I think I asked the question wrong.....  Since my car runs mostly at WOT above 4500 RPM's, I am curious what the maximum total timing advance should be, factory setting notwithstanding.  So, my question should have been, "What is the maximum ignition timing advance, in degrees, for a race only D16A1?"  Short of detonation, I'd like to find the optimum total advance for my application.  At least an educated guess.  Maybe I need to find a dyno. 

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Max that shit out.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

I gotta invest in a better timing light since tuning base timing is a gamble at best. Seems to be some power in timing since the 2* I gave it Friday seemed to work.

Stock block, Delta 272's, header, pg7, 91 octane, nuttin fancy.

Thanks y'all!

A good, adjustable advance timing light are a great tool. I use mine A LOT!

With the parts listed and using 91 octane I wouldn't think that adding a lot more advance over stock would:

1. be a very good move long term.

2. Give you a huge performance improvement.

Obviously a little more is beneficial but much more than the 2* you've already added might be pushing it with 91 octane. Again, the adjustable timing light should be able to tell you exactly where your timing is at.

Maybe I need to find a dyno.

Yep, while sometimes finding and getting on one is a PITA, that's what I was thinking.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx

As I am racing on the cheap, I notch the front flywheel at 33 degrees using a protractor, Dave

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Is 33 what you run an A1?  Or EW?  Maybe they are the same...  That's the number I was looking for if that works for either engine.  I used a vernier calieper and measured what the red notch was and added that again.  I was under the impression it was 12* but someone said 14* which is probably more accurate.  So I have a mark for probably 28* but it goes quite a good bit past that.  I'll find a protractor.

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx

I run a  EW, I've head from road racers, with whatever engine, that 34 is the most you should run. I've run lots more than this, and blown head gaskets, Dave

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Thanks! I shoulda got a gallon of 110 at the track tonight. I'll push it to 33ish and add some octane boost.