Why Me?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 1.5L, 1989 Acura Legend 2.7L
I own a 86 Sedan if you don't know by now. I just did a partial tune up today. Sparks, Wires, Air Filter, Carb Cleaner, and Thermostat. Tommorrow is brakes, belts, and oil. Now when my car is cold, it will idle. But when it gets warm and starts to idle lower it just turns off. I will be driving and if I dont put the car in Nuetral then it will just turn right off, and I have to start it up again. The oil levels are fine. The plugs are gapped right. The wires are new. All vacuum lines seem to be in order. Does ANYONE have any suggestions. I am not ruling out a vaccum leak, but maybe if anyone has had the same problem I can avoid the mechanic. Please help! You guys here at RPR have been the BEST to me, so please dont fail me now. I want my baby running so I can start making her look good too. How can I keep her running? Also even turning the idle up doesnt help once shes warm it will still turn off. The battery is fine, the altenator is a rebuild I bought just 3 months ago. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OL' Skool, 19 January 2007 - 08:33 PM.

It may look fugly, BUT OH LOOK!!....You're walking! Need A Ride?....Hmm...Naaaaaaa!

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
if you have some carb cleaner left over, spray it around on the vacuum lines, and listen for the engine to rev up, and whever you sprayed it, is a leak
Posted Image

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Jan 19 2007, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you have some carb cleaner left over, spray it around on the vacuum lines, and listen for the engine to rev up, and whever you sprayed it, is a leak

agreed, its definatley a vacuum leak. And a large one from the sounds of it. That or your radiator fluid isn't fully pressurized.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Okay, tommorrow I will check for the leak. If I find one, will I be better off doing the De-Vac or just replacing the source of the leak?

It may look fugly, BUT OH LOOK!!....You're walking! Need A Ride?....Hmm...Naaaaaaa!

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
De-Vac is your friend on this 1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Most likely you just knocked off/cracked/fortot to reconnect a vacuum hose when doing all that stuff.

An easy one to forget is the one on the botom of the Air Filter Canister.

You US people have a rat's nest of vauum lines haning out arround the thermostat area... could be any one of those...

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok guys I am going to perform the de-vac tommorrow. SO PLEASE SOME OF YOU BE ONLINE FOR WHEN I MIGHT MISS A LINE. I know there is supposed to be three left. Also is there anything I have to add. Please send links with ALL the materials I am going to need. or just pics would be nice also.

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I want to say we already went through this with you, but it is a common thing. You need vacuum caps and look for crxfanatics engine pics
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
No, I am ttalking about a parts list. Like what size caps, he told me about making a T with vaccum lines, do I have to buy this T or is there already one in the system you see what I am saying. CRXFanatics pics show what to do, not what to buy to DO the mod. What I am saying is what do I have to buy tommorrow to do this? Just the caps? Or caps, some vaccum lines and the T joint?

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Go to Autozone or your local parts store, and in the "Help" section, you should find some vacuum caps. Anyone at the store will be able to help you out. And the t fitting would be something you want to purchase as well as a few feet of hose (the 20 year old hose you have may or may not be worth using) You might be looking at $15 spent.

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok cool. Thanks BP!

OL' Skool

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK well I sealed up the thermostat cuz it was leaking. No Imma see if it will idle. Also, i sprayed the carb cleaner and nothing happened. I want to do the de-vac. But 1.) I don't have the breather for the Head. 2.) Air Cleaner or mesh for the carb. Can I still do it? OR should I wait for those parts? Also do I have to remove the carb to do it?