Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (kakabox @ May 1 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BumpSteer Kit Install & Toe Setting...continued:

My preferred method for 'home' checking/setting toe on the Kakabox is the old school string method....

I would just like to bring some old school "kaka" tips back up from the grave and say thanks again for posting EVERYTHING you do. I have lined up to get a set of these amazing bump steer corrector's to use on my "quite-so-lowered" CRX. Using the method you prescribed in the post I took a snippet from is exactly how I plan on dialing in my initial toe setting before an alignment shop can be used.

Now I just need to contact David with some measurements with my new 13" wheels to get the bump steer correction end links dialed in properly!

Thanks kaka, David, and RPR. cool.gif

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
March 8, 2012 Photo Shoot:
Bare in mind I am NOT a professional photographer...

...interior shots in next post...

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
March 8, 2012 Photo Shoot...cont.

That's it!

J.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
The end for you huh?

This car was being built when I joined RPR.... I feel like a chapter in my CRX life is over. sad.gif

Or maybe just beginning? cool.gif

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
QUOTE (Old School REX @ Feb 3 2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just like to bring some old school "kaka" tips back up from the grave and say thanks again for posting EVERYTHING you do. I have lined up to get a set of these amazing bump steer corrector's to use on my "quite-so-lowered" CRX. Using the method you prescribed in the post I took a snippet from is exactly how I plan on dialing in my initial toe setting before an alignment shop can be used.

Now I just need to contact David with some measurements with my new 13" wheels to get the bump steer correction end links dialed in properly!

Thanks kaka, David, and RPR. cool.gif

One way to do this is to make blocks of wood to the exact ride height that you are running. Jack the front of the car up, remove your torsion bars ( remember to mark each one and the housing so you get your indexing back. assuming that you've made them keyless) Remove front wheels. Set car on the ride height blocks. Make or buy a bump steer plate. nothing more than a flat, wide plate with holes drilled in it so it can go on to the hub like a wheel, use lug nuts to hold it on. Get 2 cheap dial indicators from Harbor Fright. Place a floor jack under the ball joint, jack to the hub height as if the wheel was still on. Set up the dial indicators, one to the front of the hub and one to the rear of the hub. move the suspension, with the jack, up and down and observe the dial indicators. They tell you how bad the thing is bump steering. Adjust your bump steer kit pieces untill you have minimized the toe change/ bump steer. I would still do this after you get the setup from David, just to check it or fine tune it. I'm sure you can get an illustrated proceedure from Longacre or off the net with pic etc on how to do this.
Buford Out

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Old School REX @ Mar 9 2012, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The end for you huh?

This car was being built when I joined RPR.... I feel like a chapter in my CRX life is over. sad.gif

Or maybe just beginning? cool.gif

RedSIBaron got promoted to designer of aircraft products for his company. For kicks, He is working on a trick diffusor for the rear of cars. So look for the Carbon Fiber prototype to be done for the K-Box. Other trick CF parts being talked about.
Buford Out

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
100 pages of epic WINNING and counting.
Thanks for sharing J, don't stray too far!
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Why are the pictures so SMALL!!!!!!
lol just kidding, Thanks for the awesome build and ideas over the years!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Aren D. @ Mar 9 2012, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are the pictures so SMALL!!!!!!
lol just kidding, Thanks for the awesome build and ideas over the years!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I tried to down load to RPR gallery from my MAC per usual, however non of the pics successfully made it to the gallery. Something about needing to be <2 MB in size. I've never had to 'resize' any of my pics before...maybe it's my new MAC, maybe it's the new RPR server...? Dunno...can't seem to resize to a smaller size in the 'iPhoto' software on my machine. [I have to admit, I'm not the brightest when it comes to this stuff] The 'work-around' I came up w/is send the pics to myself at work via email (they downsize themselves automagically when I do that) then down loaded the 'tiny' pics to my gallery, which, as you can see, it kindly accepted!

I'll see if my wife can figure out if the 'iPhoto' app has a resize feature besides the 'crop' feature. If we can figure it out, I'll replace these w/some bigger/better ones.

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you RPR for the all the compliments and support over the years. You guys are great and have provided me w/lots of motivation during the Kakabox build by just being open minded and accepting of my hacksaw/vice/drill press and welder build! The open mindedness and acceptance of this web site is a RPR strong point. It's refreshing and promotes a certain 'community' that I have not experienced as much on other automotive web sites. I came here after hanging out on CornerCarvers.com, building a much modified FOX body 5.0L Mustang ('90 LX 5.0, notchback). While CC is a decent Forum, blogging about the Kakabox build on RPR was like a cloudless Seattle summer sunrise in comparison (although somewhat rare, cloudless Seattle summer sunrises can be uplifting and inspiring)!

I believe the future is bright for the K'box. I'm sure Skip and Co. will improve upon it and provide RPR w/the further adventures of The Kakabox!

What I've been doing lately (last couple of years actually) is building & riding bicycles for fun and fitness. I used to race a little road 'n track back in the day and have gotten back into the hobby/sport. I don't plan on racing again, however, I enjoy training like I am! blink.gif And of course the bike building scratches that: 'I must build something w/my hands' itch I seem to suffer from! wink.gif

Car-wise, I still have the Lotus and will probably do a few minor mods, maintain and polish it, and perhaps take it out to the track once or twice a year.

I'll still be lurking around here too!

Cheers and THANKS RPR!

J.

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
Gee I think the Lotus is going to be lonely. Kind of like only having one dog, 2 is better.

I think you should think about building a Locost. But do what no one has done. Build it out of aluminum tubes, with riveted and bonded stressed panels. and, yes, Honda powered, Big Bike engine with paddle shifter, all aluminum quick change rearend!!!! Now betcha you could make it under 800lbs. Now that would be an AXer.
Buford Out

Godproyect

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
aweson.......im making the swap f20b sir-T on my AH5

DaBossk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI

Hey! can someone help me? If you go to post #337

@

http://www.redpepper...=23#entry261830

and scroll down to the part where its labeled "’86-’87 D16A1 Engine Harness Changes:"

He says "use the '86-'87 'teg engine harness???? What the heck does that mean??? Is there a difference between a chassis harness and an engine harness??? What's a cabin harness? Where is plug C-96 at?

he says you have to do the wiring change for that plug to make "the Si cabin harness compatible w/the ‘teg eng harness"

Am I going to have to remove my whole dash and replace the whole wiring loom with the one out of the integra? 

I'm in the process of swapping a browntop into my 1st gen rex. I'm using the stock SI harness. 

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage

No, you do not have to change the harness. There are a couple of minor changes on the engine harness if you are using a browntop. Its been a long time since I did it but someone on this site should be able to point you in the right direction. Or keep searching.

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage

Try  member silentdork818 I think he has posted some swap wiring info.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

This is for the blacktop (88-89) but it might help you out. Browntop swap is a piece of cake in terms of number of wire changes.

http://www.muller.net/sonny/crx/swap2/