←  1G CRX

Red Pepper Racing

»

1g Rear Disk Issue?

'85-SI's Photo '85-SI 01 Feb 2009

So here's my issue? I didn't see this anywhere so I had to ask. When using the teg rear disks. I noticed that my wheel studs were a bit short. So I used some teg studds and all seems well...I was wrong. I then started thinking. Needing longer wheel studs means that my wheels are being pushed farther out? I now have tire run on the outer fender because of this. Did I do something wrong? Is this normal because I haven't really heard anyone talking about this? I'm at a loss and I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before.

Thanks,
Don

anjin's Photo anjin 01 Feb 2009

Never had that problem when I swapped. I'd have to suspect your rims are somewhat non-standard.

oldschoolimport's Photo oldschoolimport 01 Feb 2009

the disc set-up does push the wheels out about a quarter inch per side.

RETROCRX's Photo RETROCRX 01 Feb 2009

QUOTE (oldschoolimport @ Feb 1 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the disc set-up does push the wheels out about a quarter inch per side.

oldschoolimport is correct......

Though I don't think it's quite 1/4". Basically, the disc is thicker than the drum where it goes over the wheel studs, that is where the difference comes from.

Rob

DEIVIONCRX's Photo DEIVIONCRX 01 Feb 2009

I think its a 1/2" total of track which would be 1/4" per side.

'85-SI's Photo '85-SI 01 Feb 2009

as i suspected...looks like I'm going back to drums.... I will have to find some hf drums...

Apexed's Photo Apexed 01 Feb 2009

Just out of curiosity what size wheels are you running?

oldschoolimport's Photo oldschoolimport 02 Feb 2009

QUOTE (Apexed @ Feb 1 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of curiosity what size wheels are you running?

seriously! I was wondering that myself. I have 16x7 with 215/45/16 azenis, dropped to 2 fingers, and I don't rub. its close, but its fine.

'85-SI's Photo '85-SI 03 Feb 2009

i'm on 13" honda ten spoke w/ 185/60's. i'm dropped to tuck about an inch of tire. It rubs both sides ever so slightly.

oldschoolimport's Photo oldschoolimport 03 Feb 2009

you should have no problem with rubbing, unless your springs are so soft that the tire is going completely up into the wheel well under compression.

'85-SI's Photo '85-SI 03 Feb 2009

With 450lb springs and rancho rs9000s I can rule out soft suspension. Its simply a track width issue. I drive the thing about as low as it will go without destroying the thing. Short of reinventing the wheel, I think going back to drums is my quickest solution. I appreciate all the help, and I should have known with the need for longer wheel studs!!! I didn't put two and two together until the car was rolling... Oh well, always learning! smile.gif

jsgprod's Photo jsgprod 03 Feb 2009

QUOTE ('85-SI @ Feb 3 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With 450lb springs and rancho rs9000s I can rule out soft suspension. Its simply a track width issue. I drive the thing about as low as it will go without destroying the thing. Short of reinventing the wheel, I think going back to drums is my quickest solution. I appreciate all the help, and I should have known with the need for longer wheel studs!!! I didn't put two and two together until the car was rolling... Oh well, always learning! smile.gif

Have you rolled, or cut back the inner rear fender lip? It can give you almost 1/2" of clearance on either side.

funkmaster's Photo funkmaster 03 Feb 2009

willq and I talked about this issue at teh NED 08 meet. he said its possible to have something in the Integra's rear axle assembly machined down a bit in order to make the track width equal to that of the CRX's

Maine_Honda_Racer's Photo Maine_Honda_Racer 03 Feb 2009

Rub, seriously? I have an acura rear axle, with 13x7 with 3.5 inch backspace, and my tires do not rub on the fenders, even under hard cornering.

BigOrange's Photo BigOrange 03 Feb 2009

When I installed my rear axle i measured and compared it to my stock axle and I only saw a total of 1/4" difference. As in a 1/8" wider on each side.

What combo are you using?

Integra axle and spindles with civic trailing arms?

OR

Civic axle with civic trailing arms and integra spindles?

I am using a integra axle, spindles and the civic trailing arms. No troubles here I think that with those stock wheels you have you can make it work. But I have to say tucking 1" in the back? Damn I hope you have a adjusable panhard rod.

Brian