Turbo Questions

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 si
what has to be done to the ecu to run a turbo on a 86 si crx. does it have to be chipped, or re flashed? or can i run it as stock? i am looking for 7psi.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (nedbmx @ Dec 23 2006, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what has to be done to the ecu to run a turbo on a 86 si crx. does it have to be chipped, or re flashed? or can i run it as stock? i am looking for 7psi.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the 1G FIs need an eftermarket ECU and posibly fuel pump/injectors to run boost.

I'm kind of curyous the exact answer myself, so I'm sure someone will chime in and conferm or debunk my assumption...

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Dec 23 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't quote me on this, but I think the 1G FIs need an eftermarket ECU and posibly fuel pump/injectors to run boost.

I'm kind of curyous the exact answer myself, so I'm sure someone will chime in and conferm or debunk my assumption...

u will need a pump/injectors 310s will work. and an fmu. the right way to do it is convert to obd1 and run chrome/uberdata and have it tuned. u can also run turbo edit and and stay obd0. i ran 310s with an FMU and a fuel pump at 10psi on my d16a1 and it ran great!

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
the route i would chose is convert to obd1, run some dsm 450cc injectors and a walbro 255 lph inline pump. with this setup you should be good for around 300+- 50hp depending on how much fuel pressure you run. if you are really serious conntact mr.disability on this forum for info on the obd1 distributor adapter for the si motor. as far as engine management i recomend crome, its easy to use and free. or run what lil buddy told you, its easier and he deffinitly knows his stuff!

Edited by rextec, 23 December 2006 - 11:45 PM.

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (lil buddy @ Dec 23 2006, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u will need a pump/injectors 310s will work. and an fmu. the right way to do it is convert to obd1 and run chrome/uberdata and have it tuned. u can also run turbo edit and and stay obd0. i ran 310s with an FMU and a fuel pump at 10psi on my d16a1 and it ran great!

so how much is it for the FMU? what does it do? im looking to keep odb0. im on a low budget.

b16cRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si
On a b16a1 (obd0) I didnt run a fuel pump or injectors, on 6 lbs. It was tuned with a fmu and neo vafc. Worked fine. if your only boosting 7 lbs, i dont think you need an upgrade other than a fmu and a vafc..... On 9 lbs i did upgrade to the walbro 255 and some 390 injectors, but this is more getting myself ready for the 350whp build im about to do on my 1g. I might need bigger injectors but well see, im tuned down right now about 35-40% and im pushing 260whp

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
your best bet for cheap is to get a afc hack, the reason there good for your system is because you dont have electronic advance ignition. when you trick the map into seeing more air the ecu flows more fuel, and vice virsa. so basically you get bigger injectors and an afc hack and use the afc to scale down the duration so the bigger injectors will idle normal, and add fuel in the higher rpms for boost, normally when you add more fuel this way it advances the ignition which is a bad thing for boost, you want the ignition to retard as boost increses, but in your case with the older ecu your computer doesnt have a map for the ignition and it works well. you will have to get a MSD btm or take the springs out of the dizzy so it stays at base timing, but thats not good for power. best bet is an afc hack 310cc injectors and a msdbtm. youll spend about $800 this way but its the easiest w/o rewiring alot of stuff.

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rexsk8er @ Dec 26 2006, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your best bet for cheap is to get a afc hack, the reason there good for your system is because you dont have electronic advance ignition. when you trick the map into seeing more air the ecu flows more fuel, and vice virsa. so basically you get bigger injectors and an afc hack and use the afc to scale down the duration so the bigger injectors will idle normal, and add fuel in the higher rpms for boost, normally when you add more fuel this way it advances the ignition which is a bad thing for boost, you want the ignition to retard as boost increses, but in your case with the older ecu your computer doesnt have a map for the ignition and it works well. you will have to get a MSD btm or take the springs out of the dizzy so it stays at base timing, but thats not good for power. best bet is an afc hack 310cc injectors and a msdbtm. youll spend about $800 this way but its the easiest w/o rewiring alot of stuff.

do you know how much boost i can run with stock injectors?

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
QUOTE (nedbmx @ Dec 26 2006, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you know how much boost i can run with stock injectors?

With the AFC hack, none. The whole point of the AFC hack is that it tricks the ecu by reducing the MAP sensor signal (say by 40% or so, i.e. 5V-->3V), but it can only do this if you compensate for the reduced MAP sensor signal (and therefore shorter injector pulse duration) by using correspondingly larger injectors (185cc/.6 = 310cc). The exception to this rule is that you *could* use higher fuel pressure to increase flow and offset the shorter injector pulse, but this is generally a baaad way to do it as it rapidly kills fuel system parts, frequently leaning out the mixture as parts fail and killing the engine in the process. Just trust me on this and don't use high fuel pressure as your solution. It's bad mojo, yO!
Posted Image

mindlessracing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 05 gmc sierra; 97 teg h22 turbo; 87 crx hf; 90 300zx tt
    • Image Gallery
basically either the fmu (which run about $80) and run stock or close to injectors (240cc, 290cc, 310cc)
or the afc hack and dsm injectors (440cc)

afc is a little better than the fmu but like stated above the best is either convert to obd1 and run chrome or similiar or switch to obd1 and run an aem (love my aem on my teg race car)
user posted image

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (nedbmx @ Dec 23 2006, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember that its a combination of psi to the size of turbo.... 7psi on a T25 is nowhere near the volume of air from a T3/T4 at 7psi - BIG difference.. Maybe choose the size turbo first and then decide what you need to do to keep the engine together
user posted image

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
and with the fmu and injectors all i would need is piping, intercooler, turbo, manifold and oil lines.. right?

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i can get dsm 410 injectors for cheap and a 14b dms turbo to. what can i do with that?

nedbmx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i found an apexi safc and a vortech fmu and dsm injectors. is that it or what is next?

mindlessracing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 05 gmc sierra; 97 teg h22 turbo; 87 crx hf; 90 300zx tt
    • Image Gallery
calm down there man.........

if you run a fmu you don't need the apexi

if you run the apexi you DO need bigger injectors (the 14b and 410cc will work great together)

you CAN run the fmu on stock injectors or if you choose slightly bigger (not too big) but you will need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator to lean it out at idle.

you will need a dx manifold, make an adapter plate, make a downpipe, intercooler piping, 1g dsm blow off valve (or similiar), hose clamps, silcon connectors (2" radiator hose works well if you use 2" exhaust piping for intercooler piping), intercooler, vacumn line, boost gauge, air/fuel gauge works but wideband 02 is the best, oil lines, a t splitter from the oil pressure sender (on back of the block), oil drain line,

lots of stuff.......... might as well get a new oil pan gasket when ya do it since ya have to drop the pan anyways to drill for the return line.
user posted image