• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: EF9, AT-SI, GS300
Got a couple bits done yesterday.

I picked up some new speakers and a head unit from one of our suppliers during the week:

10599341_10152800179445833_3083301231043
Sweet sideways pic. Basically the cheapest stuff I could get haha

1653569_10152807114030833_18086485242731
Looks like it's meant to be there :D Loom was a bit messed so did some custom wiring and it's minta haha.

Changed the fuel filter as well to see if it would have an effect on a starting problem I have but haven't really had a chance to test that. Also thought I'd flush out radiator to see if that was the problem with the cooling.. I flushed it out and all and it was nice and clean inside so I'm not sure if that is having a problem or not; some of the fins are a bit messed up. I have ordered a new one anyway. What I did notice though the fan doesn't seem to come on.. so I'll either wire it up to go permanently or get some kind of fan controller. Probably first option for now.

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So one big problem I was having since I got the car is it was having cooling problems. So I resolved that!

541559_10152835757775833_518879171231479
If your radiator has big holes in it; probably a good time to get a new one.

So nobody in NZ had any radiator for this car so got one ex-USA. Pretty much almost went in without issue, the fan mounts didn't quite line up so cable tied the fan on and works ok. Also a couple of bolts near the bottom fan mount were hitting cross member so did some bashing and sorted that out. It doesn't quite sit 100% perfect like the OEM one but enough for the mounts to line up and bolt in so that's all good. While I was doing this I also jumped the thermo switch on the fan so it runs all the time.

Success! Took for a decent drive around in varying traffic/load conditions and it sits around half way now :D Only time it goes up ever so slightly is if sitting in traffic for a bit but then goes straight back down once moving again.

Also the other week after I replaced the fuel filter I didn't get a good chance to test but it seems to have resolved the problem I was having on startup where it would die out shortly after a few times before staying on. Now that problem is gone and it fires up right away!

So next to tick off the list is get the rear wheel bearings replaced (I have new ones to go in) and new suspension in/lower the car down.

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So things on this car have been a bit quiet actually as a friend of mine has been using it while he was looking for another car. Good thing is he's also a mechanic so did a whole bunch of stuff for me while he had it!

A while ago I purchased some shocks from another AT owner so they were finally installed; handles better now! But it does have a knocking on the front left; unsure exactly what from we will need to investigate more. The brake lines were also starting to perish so have been replaced with brand new items. The discs are in poor shape however when I picked up some Si discs they were too big.. so somewhere along the line the discs were changed to smaller brakes.. we did install new pads though.

Previously mentioned wheel bearing issue has been resolved!

Sadly my driver side door handle snapped inside so it didn't work anymore; we replaced that with a non Si item and found (once again) that the door handles actually were slightly different but managed to switch the barrels between them and hook it all up. Now I have a nice white door handle!

Also some previous owner had made their own "short shift" kit.. ie cut the standard shifter.. I replaced that with a Cheddas item and Blackworks Racing shift knob; it sits much closer to my hand now and makes for easy shifting!

cxjin3kk.bce.jpg

My main task today was to try and fit up the other bumper I purchased a while ago. By now I'm not surprised but this bumper (non Si) did not mount the same as an Si one! I did however pick up a new bumper supports and brackets as mine were a bit bent up from an accident prior to my ownership.

ugqwi0sq.hp2.jpg
You can see the top one has a big bend in it.

x53cu0d4.10l.jpg
lhogoyqq.wzy.jpg
It makes a little difference and sits the bumper higher up as it's meant to as I also replaced the part inside the bumper itself; the one I had was mangled also!

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Today I put some gas in and went for a drive, it was fun. This car handles poorly, is uncomfortable and gets very hot inside. I like it.

924753_1030077777007083_618734284_n.jpg

Edited by mlracing.co.nz, 14 February 2015 - 01:19 AM.

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
mxnqmiuz.cff.jpg

New seat for Kermit :) Rail on the way from Japan

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
Oh my, some good feels on the way!
where did you get the rail from? I haven't seen an AT recaro seat mount before :(

Edited by SHOGUNOVDDRK, 12 March 2015 - 05:48 AM.

QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

mlracing.co.nz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Oh my, some good feels on the way!
where did you get the rail from? I haven't seen an AT recaro seat mount before :(

Just from Yahoo, it's not branded Recaro just fits the seat.

http://auctions.sear...

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

xxyuvips.4cb.jpg

Man, I miss the posts on this........It looks like your timing cover isn't trimmed at all, not like the USDM swaps, or at least mine is.. Does that mean that your car came with a special motor mount or timing cover? Here's a link that says to use the civic motor mount and trim the timing cover.

http://technet.ff-sq...to/84-87hybrid/