89 Seats In (with Pics)

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
Well, it took like 4 hours total to do all this stuff. You can see the details on this post.

Here is a comparison of the 87 and 89 pan.

87 pan....................................89 pan

Sorry bout the lack of quality there. You can still see how the 89 was deeper. That wan in relation to the mounts themselfs. I checked, and it looks like the passenger seat would be rubbing against the ECU cover at least.

Now, here's what they look like in the car...

It's a shame that the drivers side is about to tear there. The padding was almost gone, so I stuffed it a bit with some pieces I cut off of the bottom of the seat to fit in the shallower pan. It doesn't look great, but I was better than nothing I suppose. I love the seats though.. feel good!

Kirk
No more CRX

unusualcivic

• Audio Guru
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
looks fantastic man! GJ
Blast from the past.

Founder of the

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Very beautiful work, I am jealous.

Too bad you didn't take a step by step picture record for the others...

But I will when I swap those in my car... one day. ph34r.gif

Cheers,
Mark

PS. Damn I want those seats! laugh.gif

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Hot setup, I should've drove over to see it................maybe next Sunday ph34r.gif
SportInjectedClub

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I was going to do a step by step picture thing.. but no need to really.

Step 1: Remove both rails from the 87 seat (2 12mm bolts on each)

Step 2: Remove hog pins. This isn't really tricky, but you'll pick up your own technique. I just used a small screwdriver to pry them out enough to get my needle nose pliers in, then just twisted em out.

Step 3: Remove two 14mm bolts from the handle mechanism. Seat has to be layed out flat to get to one of them.

Step 4: Remove six-sided head bolt from opposite side of mechanism. I just used a cresent wrench.

Step 5: Pull vinyl away from pan

Step 6: Remove pan

Then you gotta do the same thing to the other seat, and do opposite to re-assemble. Like I said before, you'll have to cut some of the padding off the bottom of the 89 seat to get it to fit in the 87 pan. I just used a steak knife.. haha. Quite straight forward.. just time consuming. smile.gif

Kirk
No more CRX

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thats great! The seats look factory fresh!!!!!!!

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
I think im picking up a pair of these seats possibly tomorrow!

The only thing is, I have 93 civic seats in there right now, and I dont think I can exactly take the old brackets from my stock seats off those easily....is there no possibly way of using everything from the stock 89 seats? I wonder I could make something work.... cool.gif
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

rally25rs

• push the seat back a little lower watch light bend in the blower
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '01 Forester
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i have the same seats in my 3g civic. luckilly its a direct bolt-in for that car smile.gif
Mine is already torn through in the spot that yours is worn thin though... something tells me its probably common for people to rub that bolstering getting in/out of the car.
Those teg seats are much nicer than the stock seats though! Good job in the install!

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
hows the weight difference between the old si seats and the newer ones? also hows the driver's position changed? is your butt higher up?
user posted image

ol'skoolrex_PH

• Street Racer
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Ballade CRX, 87 CRX Si, 95 Civic
that's amazing, it looks like those seats were born there, great job.

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (More&Faster @ May 3 2004, 07:53 AM)
hows the weight difference between the old si seats and the newer ones?  also hows the driver's position changed?  is your butt higher up?

I didn't weigh them. I did this in the living room.. I have no garage.. smile.gif From what I remember though, the seats were about the same weight... and they should be. The frames seem identical, only the padding and pan are different. The pans probably still weight the same though.

I am deffinetly sitting up higher now.. and I'm not sure how much I like that yet. I've only driven it 3 minutes to work this morning. But I'm not takin em out.. haha.. threw away everything for the old seats accept the hardware. They were crap.

Kirk
No more CRX

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Double post got me!!!

Edited by 87Si, 03 May 2004 - 12:13 PM.

No more CRX