Anybody Mod A Rusty Rex?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

LooseNut

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 90 VW Corrado
Man, my 87 Si is falling apart underneath. It's got aluminum plates riveted to the floor boards. The running boards are like swiss cheese. Even that rear suspension beam thing rusted off to where it mounts on the chassis.

I'd like to do some engine mods. Maybe turbo or a D16 swap but I dont know. It might be better to start with a better platform. But this particular Rex has served me well and even saved the life of my brother and his friend (to get a way from a psycho with a shot gun shooting at them.)

I guess the other option would be to turbo it cheaply. But can that be done???

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Rust like that is fatal car cancer.

Come to California, pick up a cheap, clean, rust free example and work from that.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

SlowRexer

• JDM CRX (Junkyard Domestic Model)
  • PipPip
I tried, keyword being tried, but when you're continually asking yourself if its worth the effort its no longer fun. I wound up buying a cali car and parting out the rust box.
Who's this torque guy I keep hearing about?

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
my 87 Si is from cali, rust free, parts car, but if you wanted to put some body parts on it,(missing rocker panels sideskirts rear bumper cover and possibly hatch if not sold soon, fenders cracked, no header panel) if your in oregon or washington you can buy this for $450 then part out your rust bucket onto this CRX, the engine runs great needs valve cover gasket and new clutch.

Doug.

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
I DID mod my rusted out REX.. but it ened up to be to much rust for me to feel safe driving it.. I autoX'd it a few times.. but the floors just went to shit on me this past winter... I was attempting to fix it.. but decided I better go south to find a better body for my motor/suspension....

I do miss it, bit its not worth the time and money to fix the car in the state it was in... do your self a favor and stock up parts but DONT put them on.. then find a more stable body to work with.

Bes thing to do is find a car w/o a motor and strip the old rotted out car clean of any usable part possable and scrap the frame...

damn I need to take my own advice sometimes.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

destrux

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 Eclipse GST, 86 CRX Si, 98 RM125 (motocross bike)
Mine is bad, but not too bad. It's got a hole in the drivers floor and the side rails are all but gone, and it has a rear quarter panel made of bondo (cause of an accident by the first owner, not rust). I've already gone as far as cutting rust free floors and a quarter panel out of a wrecked car and I'm pretty good with the torch and mig welder... so we'll see how it goes. The rest of the body is rust free (suprisingly) and I already re-undercoated it and sprayed the inside of all the metal panels with rust treatment... this car should last forever once I'm done. I sort of have an addiction to buying heaps and making them like brand new... too bad they dont make medication for that... wacko.gif
If it aint broke, dont break it. (until you have money to fix it with better parts)