Newly Released Tomica Vintage Series Cr-x's On Ebay

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
Hey, just a heads up that the newly released Tomica Limited Vintage series CR-X's are popping up on ebay. These were just released on the 24th. They are highly detailed 1/64.

Here is a couple of auctions:

ebay

ebay

Here is a short article from Hemmings:

Collectibles
Civic Duty

The number of influential Japanese two-seat sports cars in the American market can be counted on one hand: Toyota MR2, Datsun Z, Acura NSX… that’s most of it, really. The 2000GT was barely in the American market, but even if we include it in our list of two-seaters, there are tons of versions of these cars have been made in small-scale.

We would be remiss if we didn’t include the Honda CR-X in that list also. The slick Civic-based two-seater was equally at home as an economy car (where lower-powered HF versions were able to get 50+ MPG) and as an Si-badged pocket sportster embodying the less-is-more philosophy. Yet the CRX has never had a solid following in small-scale: Zee Toys/Zylmex did a first-generation car back in the day, but it was on the crude side; Johnny Lightning did a second-gen CRX with some detestable graphics plastered on the side; and a delSol (sold as a CR-X in some countries) was only available two-packed with a 1:43 model in the long-deceased X Concepts Modifiers line. Not quite the big exposure you’d think the CRX deserved.

So in comes Tomica, to the rescue! By Christmas, there should be at least two colors of early (1984-87) CRX Si in their Limited Vintage Neo lineup. Their high-end Limited Vintage series (retailing for $10-15 apiece) and their sub-series, Limited Vintage Neo, are among the highest-quality 1:64 scale cars you’ll find: They’re picture-perfect representations of (to Western eyes, anyway) some pretty obscure models. (The only difference between regular Limited Vintage models and the Neo versions are the years of the cars that are represented: Since Tomica started business in 1970, any model that predates the company’s birth is standard Limited Vintage, and anything made after 1970, like the CR-X, is considered ‘Neo’. Confused yet?)

This one is sure to be just like all the rest in Tomica’s Limited Vintage family: no opening features, prototypically correct rolling stock, separate clear headlamp and taillamp lenses, and delicate detailwork that really does make just about everything else you can find at the local store look like a crude toy. For the scale purists, it’ll be as close to 1:64 scale as the thickness of the paint will allow, and it’ll be nearly indistinguishable from the real car, a photo of which leads off this story. The model, which should clock in at under three inches, will also likely be right-hand drive, so even if the color is right, it won’t look exactly like the one you could buy at dealerships a quarter-century ago.

If you don’t want to suffer a Babelfish translation of the www.takaratomy.co.jp homepage, you can check out www.toyeast.com now and again to see when the new models hit; it won’t be out for another month or more.
- By Jeff Koch

sig1.jpg

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Wow, those are really detailed.. Get them while you can I suppose.

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
I just bought a black/grey one. I suppose I better buy 2, one for me on my shelf and one for my son, he loves cars now too. Better to have a spare cause I know he's rough on cars.
Very detailed, even the seats and side decals look done up.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

slimwhitman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Acura Legend Coupe, 86 CRX Spyder, 60 DeSoto Adventurer
Thanks for posting. I have been collecting 1/64th die cast for 35 years and have 1000's. (I don't think my wife has any idea how many, since most have not been out of the boxes in the basement in over a decade). I plan to order one....and Stramanize it. I hope I don't butcher it too badly after spending $20 on it.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
thnx 1gen

Keepin' it OEM

evol911

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Ford F350 SWB 1987 BMW 325ic 1976 BMW 2002 1984 CRX 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
I'm always slightly reserved when it comes to ordering something from Hong Kong. Cool die-casts none the less.

"I'm a man of means by no means..."

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Looks like there are two new colors expected this summer: these auctions are presells with an expected ship date of July 25th

http://page14.auctio...tion/s172321047

http://page14.auctio...tion/s172321049

sig1.jpg

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
niiice. i love tomica. so much better than "hotwheels"...
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ToyEast just added the two new colors to their website:

http://www.toyeast.c...?pdt_id=A002252

http://www.toyeast.c...?pdt_id=A002250

sig1.jpg

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
anyone know who still has the red and black versions instock? kinda late to the party on those. dry.gif

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
These are pretty well detailed for being hotwheels scale

ChrisF-dude