Rebuild Nightmare

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Civic Hatch D16A3
hey guys, i haven't been on here for a while, mainly due to my new job but i have had some serious problems with my civic, some of you may remember these pics

http://www.redpepper...ry/timothymckay

and about two months ago i got the teg engine completly rebuilt by a very experirnced/ruptable builder. The first sign of disaster was been we got the engine back. All was looking good, we hooked up everything and added some coolant.......and then when noticed coolant seeping out of the block!!!!!! Thats right, it had a cracked block!!!! mad.gif

Now, normally i'm a very nice, calm and freindly person but this pissed me right off!!! It certainly didn't have a crack in the block before i sent the engine away. We spoke to the builder and he denied all responsibilty saying that he only garentees the parts!!

Ok, so we found this product called devcon and it worked a treat, totally fixed the problem, luckily we could do this while the eninge was in the bay.

Then we took the car for a drive and guess what...........the new,rebuilt,reconditioned engine blows blue smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats right, when you deccelerate in gear and then accelerate it burns oil. So we dropped the car off at the builder and said FIX IT!!!!!!! He didn't beleive us until we took him for a drive and said look out the back window!!!!

The guy have a look at the valves and they seemed normal which means that it must be a broken piston ring or something. Are you guys aware of anything else that it would be (oil control jet???) . Inlet manifold was cleaned throughly and i disconnected the valve cover hose and it still blew smoke.

Sorry for the long post, you guys havn't let me down so i'd thought i'd share

boosted_zc

• In need of anger management
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 91 Turbo ZC Civic Hatch,95 4X4 Sonoma
Sounds like a ring didn't seat or your getting seepage through a valve stem seal. Hard to tell unless you take it apart. Belive me i know it sucks, it happened to me too. STILL putting it back together.
If it has an engine....i will tear it apart.

90 Civic Si
87 CRX DX !!SOLD!!
91 Civic Hatch w/ turbo ZC
95 Sonoma 4X4
02 CRV (the wifey's)

VTEC

• Hondas Is There Anything They Cant Do??
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 EB Civic
    Garage View Garage
Hope all goes well for ya. Sound like a row of bad luck at the moment sad.gif It will all be worth it in the end biggrin.gif

Edited by VTEC, 10 April 2004 - 11:35 AM.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Just looked at your gallery. I take it that the Teg is an 88-89 as you state it's a D16A3. Just curious as to the exhaust. Is that the original? I ask because my 86 has a 4-1 type header. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic Hatch D16A3
It's a D16A3 from an 87 teg, stock manifold, downpipe etc