Boosted Or Shot

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

wabdlninja

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Im geting very close to finshing my b16a swap into the 85si. I was thinking of piceing togather a turbo kit for my crx but im not sure how much room there would be. I was also thinking of mabey puting a nx nxl kit on the b16a instead of a turbo it would fit better and cost less and be alot less work. I just woundering what you guys think in the boost vs shot battle? biggrin.gif

Thanks Nick

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic Hatch D16A3
First off i would see how your B16A goes stock, you might be very surprised! If you still want more power go turbo, make it a well-tuned setup to still make it reliable.

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
although turbo is an awesome set-up, if you're looking to have reliability more then anything, a shot might not be a bad way to go...just make sure that everything is delt with care, and parts are upgraded of course to trade off for the extra shot now and then.

I would go turbo over an NX shot of course, but it also takes more money and time to get a good turbo set-up running and reliable.

-Civ
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depends, have you ever used nitrous before?
If you have some experience with it and know what youre doing then go for it. If not I would probably suggest boost (although you need to know what youre doing there also). Just trying to save you some heartache when the juice becomes addicting and there goes your motor. (yeah I know from experience, what of it? biggrin.gif )
Of course the nitrous will be cheaper, but only if used properly.

ImprtRcr02

Type X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Crx si (Black and Rusty)
I have considered this swap, but needs tons of $$$, how much money have you dropped on this project?

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Whatever happened to good 'ol NA? A lot of people think its costly, well, its not really. Basic upgrades like headwork, cam regrinds, I/H/E and many more I don't have time to list can run less than $1500 and still make impressive power gains, more than enough for the street, more reliable than Forced induction or juice, and cheaper too.

And its the underdog. The UNDERESTIMATED underdog.

But if you are looking for astronomical power numbers, Forced induction is the way to go.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Type X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Once again Mark, you and your na catch my interest, i should have most my performace mods on my car done by august. I want to see how the na compares to a blacktop d16 setup.

And to answer the forum question...Boosted/FPR... Kicks ass for racing and passing emissions. I am very against the whole shot crazy...why put so much stress and wear on such a beautiful thing, unless this car is strictly racing i would go with boost.

Peace,

Adam

crxmobber

• Mobbin Clean
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 85 CRX Si, 98 prelude, 5th Gen VFR, WRX
    • Image Gallery
B16a's are a real good motors for NA. I think that if you want a cheap easy hp addition then you might consider a nitrous setup. The only downfall with a nitrous setup is that it costs around $30.00 each time you want to fill your bottle. I would recommend getting the ZEX kit if you do choose to go this route. It is one of the most advanced nitrous systems out there and you can get it for under $500. My friend put the ZEX kit on his 2000 civic si with the b16a2 and has it running a 55 shot (to be safe). he never really uses it, but when he does you can definately feel it. he also has a intake, race chip, flowmaster exhaust and an exedy race clutch and all these are also easy modifications you might want add.

SportInjectedClub

Type X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Im sorry im just not a fan of nitrous oxide systems, they are almost like cheating, plus they arent good for your engines, If you want to be safe coat you engine and pistons if you go this route. I just dont like nos it brings along the stereotype of ricer. CRX are hondas, but they are a unique excpetion to a ricer, they are a true lightwieght transplant car that also carries great handling...i dont want its image being like a 98 civic... fast and the furious I love you, but damn you for giving civics a bad name!!! No one gives my hondas a bad name!

Gone in 60 seconds... That gives all cars a good image!

Hotrodder II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX
Ahhh a few of the NO2 myths are popping up here. As a long time user of the stuff here is what I know. (I used about 700hp worth of spray in a big block Dodge, WAY Fun but I would drain a tank in 2 to 3 runs).

Myth: N02 is cheap.

False. NO2 is cheaper to start out with, but in the long run, a supercharger or turbo is less expensive.

Myth: NO2 will wear out your engine

False.. Sorta. Any time you add horsepower to a stock engine you will tend to wear it out faster. But 50hp is 50hp no mater if it came from a turbo, supercharger, NO2, cams, FI, etc etc..

Myth: NO2 will blow your engine.

False. This one started back in NO2's cheater days. They (NASCAR) would find a way to dump the nitrous unmetered into the intake track, many times the extra 02 it put in there would lean an engine out so bad... BOOM.

After the first NO2 kits hit the market in the middle to late 70's they ended up on new stock Z28's, Trans-Ams, Corvettes etc. By this time the strength of the bottom end of the engines were far from the "glory days" of the 60's and they just could not stand the extra hp.

Some basic NO2 tips.

If you build the engine they same way you build a turbo engine good forged crank, rods, pistons, low compression, "bigger" cam on the exhaust side, larger exhaust system. you will make much more power than the hp rattings on most kits and the engine will last a long time.

One thing to keep an eye on is the fuel system. For a hard core system make sure you have a dedicated fuel system for the NO2, don't rely on the computer to send the extra fuel to the injectors. a clogged injector could put your engine into a dangerous lean condition and BOOM.

For a stock block find out how much added hp it can handle and use that as a guide to how much to spray.

Hope that helped smile.gif

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
^ I like this guy too. biggrin.gif

Exactly everything I know/thought.

ImprtRcr02

EXITSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: RIP 89 2.0 SI prelude,87 crx si,87 crx Hf(parts whore)
    Garage View Garage
I remember a saying. "Nitrous is like a hot girl with aids, you wana hit it but your scared of the concequences." lol well i don't like nitrous. thats why I'm going forced induction. actualy going to get the T-3 during lunch... biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Edited by EXITSi, 18 March 2004 - 12:00 PM.

(R.I.P 89 2.0 Si prelude loved and missed daly .)

Nic's 87 Crx Si what id give to see you in my rearview mirror again. :'(

my 87 Crx Si Fate decided "boosted"

My rex http://www.redpepper...&CODE=12&CID=41]

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
I went the nitrous route. Used NOS dry system for $250ish. This is on my 4g Civic sedan. I don't know what is was, addiction maybe, but I was filling up my bottle about 2-3 times a month. So there's about $60-$90 a month. You gotta keep if filled "Just In Case".

I ran into a cheap turbo manifold and ended up building a turbo kit for about $1000. I like turbo.

May I suggest a remote bottle valve (or what ever its called). My friend and I were talking about the squeezing days and we'd open the bottles "Just In Case" and the NOS would slowly leak out.

Why does everybody think Nitrous is cheating. Its just easy HP. I guess too easy? If you put a BIG NOS sticker in your back window, is it still cheating?

DarkHand

QUOTE (gtcali @ Mar 18 2004, 11:30 AM)
If you put a BIG NOS sticker in your back window, is it still cheating?

No, but now you look like a dork so no one will want to race you anyway. biggrin.gif
DarkHand

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
What about floor mats tongue.gif