A Dream I Had

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

DarkHand

So in this dream I'm driving with my friend in his '01 Civic. All of a sudden he picks up speed and says "See? The Air Conditioning Intake is working again."

So I got to thinking about it this morning... I wonder how well routing the AC to the intake would actually work. tongue.gif The question would be whether the increased power from the cold air could offset the drag from the compressor.

The blower wouldn't be involved, it could be something like connecting the evaporator inline with the intake, letting suction handle the work of the AC blower. Perhaps some kind of refridgerant resivour could be made so that the compressor only runs before the cooler air is needed, eliminating the compressor drag... A 1/4 miles worth of capacity would be enough smile.gif

Could this possibly work, or am I still half asleep? blink.gif
DarkHand

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
this is like a stoner's theroy on anything

"the man eeps us from havein air conditioning in our intakes man"

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Drink a coffee and read your post again laugh.gif

You won't get any huge gain from this, not enough to offset the drag and wieght of the AC components.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

DarkHand

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 9 2004, 10:08 AM)
this is like a stoner's  theroy on anything

"the man  eeps us from havein air conditioning in our intakes  man"

It's a plot to keep us driving slow, man smile.gif
DarkHand

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
YOU DIRTY HIPPIE

adam12

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 civic sedan, '92 Yota 4Runner 4wd, '90 240sx(autocrosser)
Your dream is not completely out there...okay so it is, but the theory is somewhat sound. There is a company that sells a CO2 system that attaches to a metal cold air intake, a billet fuel rail, and even an intercooler. Its set up like NO2 but it doesnt actually enter the engine. It uses the CO2 to cool the intake tube, thus cooling the air inside and pushing more air to the motor...I'm not sure how well it works on the fuel rail. But I have ridden in a turbocharged 1994 supra with a co2 system hooked up to the intercooler, and it kicks! of course the performance gain is reletive to the power you had before. I'm going to try the inatke and rail setup on my accord...if it doesn't work I can atleast turn one outside the car and use it like a nitrous purge laugh.gif

DarkHand

I was reading about a CO2 intercooler chiller system a few days ago, and was thinking about them and air conditioning systems at the same time... that's probably why I had the dream. smile.gif I'd still like to try the AC idea one day. smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 09 June 2004 - 06:02 PM.

DarkHand

87sirex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
I believe that dream is possible. Ford already does it on their supercharged lightnings. I think they call it a cool pack. when your driving the truck it has a compartment in the ac setup that stores air at very low temperatures, when you stomp the gas it releases that air straight into the intake. it provides a very big boost, but thats on a supercharged engine.

DougY

I doubt those that live to north in Canada (or on the East coast of the US) notice a huge hp increase from driving in -20F weather. Does your A/C get that cold? FI however, is an entirely different animal.

DarkHand

QUOTE (DougY @ Jun 10 2004, 10:10 AM)
I doubt those that live to north in Canada (or on the East coast of the US) notice a huge hp increase from driving in -20F weather. Does your A/C get that cold? FI however, is an entirely different animal.

Well of course it would only help in hot weather. smile.gif

105 outside, and you've got intake temps of 40 degrees? That's got to give you an advantage over other cars smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 10 June 2004 - 11:20 AM.

DarkHand

Gumby

• Your Daddy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic HB 1500S 83 Bronco
Just think of it as driving in cool weather......... would'nt make that much of a diffrence... now as far as the CO2 Intercooler injection......... VERY GOOD IDEA!
i got a video from nopi of one in action on a STI........ i need to figure out how put it on the comp
Or you could be ghetto and spray a Fire Extenguesier(SpellCheck) into the Intercooler before you launch

Edited by Gumby, 10 June 2004 - 02:07 PM.

user posted image

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
the AC idea is almost as good as the "turbo" 12 volt fan for your intake box
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image