Tires?

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

LGM Motorsports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda CRX, 1990 Honda CRX Si, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1991 Honda Civic 4-door
QUOTE (Screech @ Mar 7 2012, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm looking for pure racing tires/rims what would be recommended. Right now what I'm thinking is the 225/45ZR13 Hoosier A6 on some 13x8 diamond racing wheels. Remember the car is an 84 Civic with the B20Z, LSD tranny and running in SMF autocross events.

If that is the right rim/tire size to be looking at, what offset would be best?

I know someone was suggesting the Hankook Ventus Z214 C71.

I would recommend using for your application (SMF) a 15x9 or even better, a 15x10 rims with a P275/35ZR-15 Hoosier A6 based on your "powerful" drivetrain setup. You will have to trim the front fenders to do so, but this tire & wheel combo is absolutely awesome in solo events!
If you don't wish to cut your fenders, I would definitely suggest going to 13x9 or 13x8 rim with a 5" backspace and P225/50ZR-13 Hoosier A6. The extra circumference (69.0" vs 65.8") and diameter (21.9" vs 20.9") of the 225/50 tire will help better control the power output of your B20Z and let you stay in 2nd gear a bit longer before having to shift to 3rd under solo racing situations.

Luis

PS
I too, have an SMF in the form of a '91 Honda Civic Si with a "Supercharged" D16A6, LSD and extensive suspension mods.
I am running P275/35ZR-15 A6's on 15x10 wheels. This tire and wheel combination is absolutely the best. I have done a lot of "R & D" in this area to support my findings.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Update I'm now looking at the Exospeed VPD 13x7.5 wheels.

Condor, I'm looking for ~10lb wheels. Race only wheels are fine for this. Decided this morning on that.

LGM MS, Thanks for the feedback.. 15" is way outside the budget, about twice what I'm looking at for 13". Maybe later on. Not to mention cutting into a car that has not been on the road since it got repainted back to OEM colors yet.

I have my Accord lined up to sell tonight so that will fund the tire/rims. Almost traded it for a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo but the guy sold it just before I got back to him about the offer he made.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Condor @ Mar 7 2012, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd put the blingin phonedials on and get the pole positions.
I have the set down from those and they are pretty good.

Good luck finding a set, they're discontinued. If anyone is REALLY that interested in finding a set, I might be able to put together as set of new 195/60/14 or 185/60/14 but my inventory is verrrry limited.

that said, I LOVE the set I just bought wink.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

exartist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I just picked up a set of 13" wheels from an '85 Si. I found sets of 185/60/13 Yokohama A008R's over at John Berget Racing Tires. These are USED tires, and God only knows how old they are (when did they stop making the A008A???!!!) but they do have decent tread left on them. The compound doesn't feel like it has much life left in it, but then again they are sitting in my garage, in the winter, when no tire feels that great. Even if the compound isn't that soft, a little traction treatment might coax a few months out of them.

I have never worked with this company before, but some folks from other forums suggested them for hard to find sizes. It will be months before the car is on the road, but I'll let folks know how they worked out.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well I used what feed back I got and after getting the money for the Accord tonight I bought the 13x7.5 VPD wheels at 9lb each and the 225/50r13 Hoosier A6 tires. I will let you know what I think. My daughter is happy, now she can run the star specs on her ST car and not have to work at moving them back and forth between the cars.

I would have thought a little more, but there is 10 days (well more less than 9.5 now) to the start of events. I was planning on using my ST tires from last year, but at the meeting last night I found out 2 other drivers are moving SMF too and of course they are going to be proper SMF cars, not like the ones I saw last year that I was beating with my ST Civic.

Thanks for all the input, I did consider it all.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 18 2012, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My other point is, pushing hard on the street is just plain dumb. Specially when you can find sanctioned places to REALLY push your car in a safe place. Look up "Autocross" or "Track day" for your area.

Once you get to a real track and really drive to the limit you will quickly discover that even the very best street tire is about worthless on a track.

Scott

Speak for your self.

EDIT:

And you have deserted roads like this. Not to race on, but to drive spirited.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
speaking of tires and wheels... i have a set of 2 piece 14x6 watanabe's and i wanted to make them 14x7's anyone know where i can get the rim or barrel replaced? or actually just buy a new barrel/rim? they've got a et +25 so would i need a spacer?
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
As a side note I checked on tirerack.

The choices are about half what they were when I got my set
a couple years ago.

Disturbing.....

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (PowerWheels86 @ Mar 8 2012, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
speaking of tires and wheels... i have a set of 2 piece 14x6 watanabe's and i wanted to make them 14x7's anyone know where i can get the rim or barrel replaced? or actually just buy a new barrel/rim? they've got a et +25 so would i need a spacer?

The current offset is irrelevant on 2 piece wheels when replacing the barrel with a non identical one. The offset will change with the new barrel. Depending on supplier, you may be able to request a barrel that yields a specific offset.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Mar 7 2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speak for your self.

Hope to Cranbrook is some fun road.

If you're ever able, do the Lillooet loop. (Vancouver-Whistper[Pemberton]-Lillooet-Hope-Vancouver)
570km of pretty nice ride. Did it many times on my bike, a couple with my car. It's not the Alps, but it's still got good views and enjoyable curves. Though the road does get a little sketchy in places.
Just don't do anything stupid, plenty of trees, cliffs, and oncoming traffic... tongue.gif

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Highway 3 is amazing.

Creston salmo July 2010. Miss this. Almost miss my rx8. (blue one)

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Mar 10 2012, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Highway 3 is amazing.

Creston salmo July 2010. Miss this. Almost miss my rx8. (blue one)

Hey, what a coincidence. I lived in Lethbridge for a little while... looks like Highway 3 terminates there. (Glad I'm not there anymore... gets a bit warm)
Man those RX8s are brutal for flooding! Start it and shut it off without letting the engine heat up a bit and you're stuck with soaked apex seals that don't seal right, which causes you to have no compression >_< If I hadn't seen it in person I would have never believed how much soaked apex seals reduce compression. When you crank it flooded it's like you've got the spark plugs removed! What a PITA!

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
try starting it after winter. Fml so bad. My friends would all say "there's something wrong with your car" and i would say no It's just a rotary thing.

CarNutCertifies

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 71 chevy pu, 87 CRX DX"Pip squeek", 87 CRX DX "Pip Squeek II"
Sorry it took so long to respond. We love the 8. We are apart fo the NE Oklahoma Rotary club so we know about the issues they have. It aIot fun to drive. Espically in the turns. When i said push my car i really ment I like to drive it spirited. I am not stupid I prefer to live to see my son graduate HS. I havnt decided on a tire yet mainly because i have been driving my lude. Completly different driving experience its a wider heaver car compared to my lightweight CRX. The CRX is my back up car.

So the dials weigh less? Hmmmmm just dont really care for the look of them.... ChrisF-Dude how did you polish them up? Just varying different sanding grits? or did you have some sort of poishing compound or both? One of mine has been painted silver.........

Edited by CarNutCertifies, 14 May 2012 - 04:57 PM.

87 CRX DX, "Pip Squeek"
87 CRX DX "Parts Car"
86 CRX SI "Currently being built" DD
86 CRX DX "The Project" -(retired) - stripped
71 Chevy PU
81 Chevy PU
01 Dodge Ram 1500 (sold/traded)
97 Honda prelude DD
92 Jeep Cherokee "Slug" (parts)
91 Jeep Cherokee "Slug II"
92 Ford Probe GT Turbo: it blew up, got stripped, and then crushed....back to my CRX...What was I thinking...Oh yea it was free.
Ford........At least they circled the problem...
38 Desoto 2 door sedan (a project that I will someday get around to)