Brake Master Failure Question

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

DrWeird

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Civic GL Hatch
So, the seal between the master and booster has failed on my 3G Civic '84, so I have no brakes. Upon inspection, the booster is full of brake fluid up to the center hole where the master comes in. Now, under this situation, I experience no resistance pressing the brake pedal before it hits the floor. Does this indicate that the diaphram inside the booster is also bad, or just replace the master and all will be well (once I drain out all the fluid from the booster, and bleed the system)? Thanks in advance.

<edit: spelling>

Edited by DrWeird, 20 June 2012 - 11:52 AM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
There is a large o-ring on the master where it seals inside the brake booster, that intact does not prevent fluid from entering. It is the internal o-ring inside the master cylinder. You need a new master and t wash the bb out with some carb cleaner ect.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

DrWeird

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Civic GL Hatch
Alright, thanks. I pumped the fluid out and got around a cup of brake fluid out. I already planned on replacing the master since it was a leaking a tidbit outside for around 6mo, but yeah, it just suddely gave up the ghost a few days ago and did this lol. Fluid needed changing anyway. Looked more like pond water than brake fluid.

mallardtape

This happened to me a while back. Take a look at my THREAD

the rubber diaphram seperated inside the booster

Posted Image