Another Carb Question

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

xvr420x

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx/ferrari 360
Ok so i just talked to the mechanic and he said that i need a new carb because the floats in mine are sticking. I have to rev the hell out of my rex just to keep it alive. Does anybody know of a cheaper way to fix my car? thanks x

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
buy a used one from a runing car or rebuild teh carb
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

87CRXkid

• THE HUL-KOGAN
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with 88 D16A1 swap, all round disc's,tokico HP's and more!
    • Image Gallery
Just get a redline/weber RGM brand new carb, its only like $370 and it will fix all ur problems. Unless you are good with carbs(which its obvious your not, no offense, im not either) you will probably end up spending alot in rebuild kits as i did. Nothing fixed mine, it wouldnt idle, it surged, deisled and much much more. the RGM carb allows you to remove all those vac boxes and vac lines, it looks sweet too. you can get it as a complete kit, me and my dad put it on in about 3 hours, no fabbing required. smile.gif

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
You should fill in the location info in your profile, there are differences between the carbs from different countries & it would help you get info on your particular carb.

How much is a rebuild kit? It's got to be much cheaper than a new carb. You should probably try that first & then think about a new carb if it doesn't work.
I think our resident carb expert Eldo mentioned a while ago how full of crap the carbs he'd opened up were & that they needed a good cleaning to run properly.

Also, how sure are you of the mechanic's diagnostic (a lot of mechanics don't know much about carbs - they are used to fuel injection)? You don't give much in terms of symptoms but could be as simple as a vacuum leak if it won't idle.

xvr420x

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok, i fixed my profile. Thanks for the quik replies. I live in so cal 3 dollars plus a gallon so i need my hf. I also need it to pass smog so i dont think aftermarket is the way to go. I did a rebuild on the carb and it didnt work so i took it to a friends dads shop, i do trust his diagnosis. Any body know where to get a cheap carb?

Rkd X

xvr420x

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OH, I forgot to ask. Does anybody know if there Is any other honda that comes with the same carb as my 86 honda crx hf.

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
The HF is the 1.3 liter right? - probably any other year (1G/3G) HF should work if you are looking through the junkyards.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Some HFs are 1.5l, so you'll have to change jetting a bit.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

FirstGenLvr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 CRX, 87 Jeep Cherokee, 05 Sebring convrtbl
I just rebuilt the carb on my 84 DX, 1.5. I had to do it twice since the first kit had some defective parts. That kit was a Borg Warner part and I will not buy that brand again. Nowever, I find it real hard to believe the "float" is sticking as that part is real easy to clean and the kit replaces the float valve with it's associated parts. I did find that it is very necessary to clean every passage way and orifice with cleaner and blow them out with compressed air.

My carb had some of the same symptoms as yours so I think a good rebuild should do the trick. I did remove all the jets and clean all of their tubes and seats so that is a must. I was told by my mechanic to "be sure you have all the diaphrams in the proper place" and when finished the adjustments of the "idle" linkage is very important (as shown in the instructions).

BTW, My parts dealer says there is a "rebuild" carb available for around $450. Way too much for my blood!!!!

Did you do the rebuild yourself or did the mechanic? What is the Model No. of your carb? Mine was an EA10a. You should find that number on the front of the dashpot bracket.....

I live on the Central Coast of CA so my emission requirments are the same. I still have not passed smog.......... mad.gif But.... I'm getting close...... blink.gif Hope this helps.

John

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
the carb in my car had been "worked on" before i got it, a week after i bought it a bunch of the linkage fell off and the car would idle at 3500rpm, not good. soooo i went to a used import parts dealer here in town and i bought an intake and carb from an 86 1.3l for $30. it took me 15 minutes to swap carbs, adjust the new one and be back on the road.

considering i'd NEVER done any work on any import before, it was pretty much a painless and cheap fix.

now i have 1300cc's of raw power!!!! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

seriously, just avoid the rebuild kits and just buy a good condition used but newer model carb, its cheaper then buying a rebuild kit.

my car is an 84 civic hatch with a 1.3L and gas here in north western canada is around $1.04 litre.

-kickin it OldsKewl-

Edited by JeepGirl, 22 September 2005 - 10:04 AM.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

FirstGenLvr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 CRX, 87 Jeep Cherokee, 05 Sebring convrtbl
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Sep 22 2005, 08:00 AM)
the carb in my car had been "worked on" before i got it, a week after i bought it a bunch of the linkage fell off and the car would idle at 3500rpm, not good. soooo i went to a used import parts dealer here in town and i bought an intake and carb from an 86 1.3l for $30. it took me 15 minutes to swap carbs, adjust the new one and be back on the road.

considering i'd NEVER done any work on any import before, it was pretty much a painless and cheap fix.

now i have 1300cc's of raw power!!!!  rolleyes.gif  laugh.gif

seriously, just avoid the rebuild kits and just buy a good condition used but newer model carb, its cheaper then buying a rebuild kit.

my car is an 84 civic hatch with a 1.3L and gas here in north western canada is around $1.04 litre.

-kickin it OldsKewl-

Actually, I have two (2) of those junk yard carbs sitting in my parts bin. When I took them apart they were worse than the one I finally decided to rebuild! Blown accelerator pump diaphrams with dried fuel and gooked bowl and jets....... mad.gif No way was I going to spend the time putting them on and taking them off if they didnt work! There is a huge difference in a CA emissions 1.5L engine system than your 1.3 non CA, Canadian cruiser.... smile.gif

I just found a rebuild guaranteed for life, $239.00 Sounds cheap to me after all the time Ive spent on this one. However, I have learned alot and plan to learn a lot more. After all, its not always about the ease, it's mostly about the experience and taking that knowlege forward. That in my opinion is Old School! blink.gif

later,

john

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
i didnt get mine from the wreckers, i bought it from a place called midtown imports in edmonton alberta. and it was sqeaky clean, and cheap to. plus it came with a 6month warranty.

sure it was still a used part but there was nothing wrong with it and now my little car runs like new.

the original poster was asking for a cheap solution than having to buy a rebuilt/new carb.

my suggestion was to buy it used, of course you have to be careful buying used stuff but that doesnt mean used stuff is garbage.

stuff from the boneyard you just have to be more carefull.

good deals arent very hard to come by with our cars, if you look you can find anything you want at a bargain.

i'm getting an 85 civic hatch this weekend for nothing, its missing a few things, but it had the stuff i need IE: 5spd trans, cv's, windshield, etc and all i have to pay for is the tow.

now i'll have a spare engine, trans, carb if anything breaks on mine.

my entire interior is used, the dash, door panels center console is from an 86si and my leather seats are out of a yukon denali. $130 for the interior from the wreckers and i paid nothing for the seats, which were new and still had the shipping plastic on them. thier worth $1500+ to replace.

if you have the money, feel free to spend it.
if you dont, just be thrifty.

-kickin it OldsKewl-

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg