Tail Lights Stay On When Lights Are Off

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

Aaron636

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04' Street Bike, 01' Excursion and working on the 87' CRX
I came home the other night to see m 87 CRX sitting in my back yard and the tail lights were on. Nothing else is on but the tails. Eventually killed my battery. Any ideas? Lights all work fine when they are turned on...but for some odd reason the tails are determined to stay on.

Aaron

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
bad brake light switch on the brake pedal. try unplugging it's wires and see if the lights go off
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Or, the rubber button that presses against the switch is broken and needs to be replaced.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Aaron636

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks for the help. Havent had a chance to really look at it....Will look at your suggestions tonight.

Thanks Again,
Aaron

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (badpenny @ Nov 12 2006, 10:50 PM)
Or, the rubber button that presses against the switch is broken and needs to be replaced.

It is a small plastic/rubber button on the brake pedal. It wears out over time and falls on to the floor. Honda stocks them.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Nov 13 2006, 06:40 PM)
It is a small plastic/rubber button on the brake pedal. It wears out over time and falls on to the floor. Honda stocks them.

Scott

All the original ones I have seen have been rubber, and they certainly deteriorate. Replacements from Honda are a white nylon part, that looks like it will last better.

BTW, the clutch pedal also uses a rubber "stop", but it doesn't serve the same purpose (at least on DX and Sis). If desperate, I have been known to borrow the stop from my clutch pedal, to put on my brake pedal, in order to get the brake lights to go off.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

Aaron636

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (kedwards @ Nov 13 2006, 03:46 PM)
All the original ones I have seen have been rubber, and they certainly deteriorate.  Replacements from Honda are a white nylon part, that looks like it will last better.

BTW, the clutch pedal also uses a rubber "stop", but it doesn't serve the same purpose (at least on DX and Sis).  If desperate, I have been known to borrow the stop from my clutch pedal, to put on my brake pedal, in order to get the brake lights to go off.

Keith

Thanks everyone, that was the problem.

Keith, thanks for the tip. It worked!!

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Nov 12 2006, 09:50 PM)

Yes, the one on my DX went missing one day. A quick fix, and well, it turns out to be rather permanent as it has worked perfectly for me for a while is this: The little rubber feet for chairs or small electronics that come in like 8 packs, 1/2in or 1/4in I think, they stick right on, work great! smile.gif
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Xipher @ Nov 14 2006, 11:26 AM)
The little rubber feet for chairs or small electronics that come in like 8 packs, 1/2in or 1/4in I think, they stick right on, work great! smile.gif

Yeah, but they aren't JDM!
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
Huh....this baffled the hell outta me this afternoon... my brake lights wouldnt go off. Thing is when i got in the car I found this lil small rubber thing...didnt know what it was....guess what i did? Tossed it in the yard.... dry.gif Will try the table top tabs.....even though they arent authentically JDM they should do the job. RPR helps me solve another mystery of the Red ball of fire... laugh.gif

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
QUOTE (ibcnya @ Dec 20 2006, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh....this baffled the hell outta me this afternoon... my brake lights wouldnt go off. Thing is when i got in the car I found this lil small rubber thing...didnt know what it was....guess what i did? Tossed it in the yard.... dry.gif Will try the table top tabs.....even though they arent authentically JDM they should do the job. RPR helps me solve another mystery of the Red ball of fire... laugh.gif

If you do want to retain that JDM goodness, the replacement Honda nylon button is only a few bucks. Must happen quite often - when I went to the dealer a few years back when mine broke, the parts guy didn't even need to consult the computer for a P/N - he just ran back and grabbed one.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think those these had a breakdown schedule, my wife's 86 sedan broke one day, then the one in my 86 hatch broke about a week later. Easy fix though, and cheap. Also, I too think the white replacement should last longer than the originals.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)