40 replies to this topic

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Guys, some of you may know I am doing a ground up build on a 85 CRX, and I want to get started on the motor, I want it to be Turboed and I want 250 or more HP at the wheels.

Here is the thing I all ready have a D16a1 (close to a zc) and all the swap gear and every thing so I could spend ALL of my money just building up the motor

OR I could Buy a b16a1/mounts and every thing else That I need just to do the swap and have less money to build up the B16

250+ HP at the wheels I want to over build every thing and ues really good parts the #1 objective is it has to be relieable

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
Boosting the D series will be cheaper but go with forged internals.
twitter: @lylehatton

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well, its not that I want the cheepest way to do it, I actully aready have a budget worked out so I plan on spending it all, I would spend it all either motor.... I guess a better question would be is a 250 hp mostly stock booted b16 a better motor than a well built d16a1?

loco84

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984crx d15a3
QUOTE (Aren D. @ May 13 2005, 05:33 PM)
well, its not that I want the cheepest way to do it, I actully aready have a budget worked out so I plan on spending it all, I would spend it all either motor.... I guess a better question would be is a 250 hp mostly stock booted b16 a better motor than a well built d16a1?

Hey there both good motors there hondas!
build the d you got! if you got enough to invest in a b switch! that bossted d would be reliable and cost less cause you have the full swap. more $ more power?

-loco

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
QUOTE (Aren D. @ May 13 2005, 04:33 PM)

I personally don't know but I would assume a b16 because there seems to be more support for it.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
built d16 is way more cost effective than building the b16.....
Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (5150CRX @ May 13 2005, 05:49 PM)
built d16 is way more cost effective than building the b16.....

as an owner of d series and b series cars, id say that the d series parts are about 1/2 the price of b series stuff. one other thing you have to look at though, is you will start out with more horsepower with the b. it may take about the same amount of $$ either way you go. just look around for good deals

the d will fit right in, no need to spend $$ for mounts, wiring, etc..so there is some extra money to spend.
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

shauno

The cost of just buying the engine, tranny, ecu, mounts, axles and all other necessities would put you into the range of a built up d16 ready for boost.
Not to mention the need for lsd and heavy clutch for the b series being more money.

I like the d16 for it's fit and function while the b is a bit low on the torque side.

I'm going to say if you can get the b engine cheap and build it well then go that route. The d is a dying engine and vtec is so much more fun.
Just be prepared for more unexpected costs with the b engine.
Give us your budget and we'll see if it'll work.
Time to kick some ricer butt!

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ok for the motor I am planing on spending 5000(over 3-4months of time), so I figure that if I do a b16a1 swap and get a good parts it will be a bout 3000 just to get the motor in my car then I will have 2000 for a turbo kit.

or just a 5000 built/turbo d16a1

Edited by Aren D., 13 May 2005 - 06:21 PM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Just my opinion, but neither motor will give you back anything but the joy of driving it. Economically speaking, you won't make more money by making a faster car, but we all have needs, don't we? You already obtained the d-series. Just the mounts and axles for the B-series are going to be close to $1,000. Bolt-on mods will get you only about 20 hp at best. You are going to have to build the B-series quite a bit to get to 250hp. That means expensive machine work.

I'd say building what you have (d16) would be the most cost-effective thing to do, but don't expect 250hp.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i say go B18 Ls turbo! but thats just me, you know where i stand wink.gif
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

Dr.Popcorn

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Just curious; is it gonna be your browntop d16 or did you get a blacktop?

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
if I go d16 I wont be uesing a vac distrubuter

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
I would think that going with the D16A1(fully built/turbo) would be more cost effective heres why:

D16A1:
118 HP @ 6500 RPM
103 lbs-ft @ 5500 RPM

B16A:
157 HP @ 7600 RPM
112 lbs-ft @ 7000 RPM

Ok, we all know that a B series engine costs more money to swap into a crx than a D series. Pretty much everyone knows that.

So the B16a1 has 39 more HP than the D16a1 and only 9 more lbs-ft of torque. I really dont think that with all the money that HAS to be spent on the mounts and axles for the B-series among (many) other things, (like Omega Mugen and shauno pointed out.) that the extra 39 HP and 9 lbs-ft of torque, would really be worth the effort. Just my $0.02

I vote D16A1 Built and Turboed.

Good luck.

GIFF

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If you really can see yourself driving this car for a long time and if the car is in good shape id put the extra bucks into a B series swap... Also I think there as a post on HMT asking the D vs B series question. Cant find a link but if i recall correctly the bottom line was if you want to hit big numbers like 250hp+ at wheels a B series will be more robust
user posted image