Few Questions About My Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

DOHCtor88

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 03 RSX Type-S & 85 CRX Si
Do any of you fill up full tank and reset your trip miles? If so how many miles do you get out of full tank before pumping gas? Reason why I am asking is because my 86 CRX Si gas meter dosen't go full tank when I fill up full. My gas meter gets down to empty around 140miles, and I know I can get more miles out of it.

Next question is my sunroof. The rear right of my sunroof suddenly popped up on its own without me opening it and now it wont close. My left side goes down and the right side wont. I've never tooken a sunroof off before and would like to know if there's any guide on how to take it apart and to get it working properly again.

Thanks in advance guys.

socal rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 1987 Comanche
My gauge isn't very accurate either but if your odometer is working correctly it should be easy to figure out. Fill up, reset the trip meter, drive as far as you feel comfortable on the tank, fill up again and divide the miles driven by the number of gallons it takes. Now you have your miles per gallon and can multiply that by the size of the tank, 10.8 gallons I believe. My only tank so far I got 31.6 mpg so I know I can go roughly 340 miles assuming similar fuel usage. Until I start recording better mpg I'm going to stick with a max of 300 for peace of mind.

icy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si
Mine is right around 300 right now too, but that is on the low end, when the car is running better, I have gotten over 40 mpg already. Of course that's babying it, Average is usually abou 35mpg for me(but like I said that's when my O2 sensor isn't constantly falling out and the car actually has an exhaust on it.)
Posted Image

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
I've eeked out 400+ miles on a tank. I've had the same problem with my sunroof before. You have to pull the whole unit from the inside and look at the plastic catch on the back corner of each side. They usually can get jammed and if you force the cable through the catch it WILL break. Take the whole unit apart, clean it, and lube the whole thing. Even if something is broken, you can jimmy rig almost anything in that unit. I've done it multiple times. Post pics when you get it apart, I can definately help you. I've fixed my sunroof's in my CRX's over a hundred times. lol laugh.gif

echuck07

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: S2000
    Garage View Garage
When I had my 86 I would get between 340-360 miles per full tank, I think you should be able to get at least 300.

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
The biggest PITA about the 1G Si sunroof is that you have to pull out the headliner & a whole bunch of interior trim to access it. As Old School REX said, it's not that hard to work on... once you get to it.

I'd recommend buying a Honda factory service manual for your CRX, not a Chiltons or Haynes. Unfortunately the 3G FSM on this site can't help you with a 1G sunroof. Should be able to find a used one on eBay for $30 or so. '86 & '87 are the same for this stuff; '85 the sunroof's the same but the interior trim may vary. The FSM has detailed instructions on adjusting the sunroof, as well as telling you how & what you need to remove, interior-wise. You don't want to go all gorilla on a trim piece and break it.

Like the other guys, I didn't think about refueling until I had at least 300 on a tank.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Best ever was 442 miles on a tank until I ran it dry and the car stopped running. But that was babying on a highway heading downhill toward the Mississippi.

My recent trips 2K to 4K over thepast years, I'd average 37 for the trip (highway portion of miles)

87crxsi.

Sunroof, sounds like a cable broke. Or alot of condensation builds up between the metal sunroof and the plastic liner. I've seen those threaded studs strip out, so worse case is the bracket fastened to the roof on one corner let loose.

Pop the 1/5" dia plastic grommet on the head liner just behind overhead light. Put a metric allen key or socket or your honda wrench(if you still have it in the tire well) and hand crank to feel and see what's going on. That way you can get right at thespot of the problem and can mostlikely hear what's going on w/o the hum of the motor.

Keep us posted
Keepin' it OEM

rl240z

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 1972 240z, Toyota Matrix & PU
I concur with the estimated mileage.
I just bought an '87 Si with a bad fuel gauge. I have only run one partial tank and re-filled.... got 36+ mpg. Its interesting that my '86 CRX ( not Si ) which I have had for 10 years also got about 36. In full "Balloon Foot" econo mode it could get 40. With the extra umph of the Si I expected less. Happy surprise.
And thanks all for the sunroof info. Didn't want a sunroof, but you take what you find.
Thanks
R

DOHCtor88

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 03 RSX Type-S & 85 CRX Si
OMG I love the MPG for this car!!! I appreciate the help guys, thank you very much. When I get some time off from work, I will start working on the sunroof.

TeninoFred

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF
QUOTE (DOHCtor88 @ Jan 17 2011, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG I love the MPG for this car!!! I appreciate the help guys, thank you very much. When I get some time off from work, I will start working on the sunroof.

Of course in my 86 Hf I do about 375 miles, but my tank fill up is only 7.75 - 8 gallons too. smile.gif