15 replies to this topic

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I saw this on ebay and was wondering... has anyone used this? I have a short shifter that I'm going to install as soon as it stops raining here in CA (I guess that means I'll be putting it in in July), and hadn't heard anyone even mentioning these bushings before. I mean, I haven't looked in the box yet, but doesn't the short shifter come with bushings? blink.gif Please feel free to expose my ign'ance and enlighten me. Thanks.
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
those bushings will work with any shifter for your CRX.
They are also part of the ES master set, and id just skip these and spend the $75 on the complete set.

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (funkmaster @ Mar 22 2005, 02:46 PM)
those bushings will work with any shifter for your CRX.
They are also part of the ES master set, and id just skip these and spend the $75 on the complete set.

You mean a set like this?
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
yeah just like that!

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have those installed on my shifter, I must say, they make the shift a lot crisper and positive. A little trickier to get into gear, but definately a nice positive throw.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The master kit is very nice, goes on pretty easily except for the trailing arm bushings (I ended up skipping them, personally). I've heard that the ball joint/tie rod boots don't seal as well as the stock rubber ones do, but I've not had a problem with them.

deadpool7372

• Give me Peppers!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I bought that exact item from the same seller on e-bay!
I was happy with the item and seller...
Tom/RPR: You know you are hardcore when you remove the SEAT COVER!
Lubbock, TX representing. Ya HeaRd! :)

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
You can get them for the same price from Summit ($10 + 8 for S&H...which gets a lot cheaper if you buy multiple parts, because it's $8/order), or most shops, since it's the same as B-series Civics, IIRC. I thought they made a difference- not huge, but definitely worth 10 bucks.

87crxguy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si
Hey I was thinking about buying the es master kit and was wondering how hard and what all goes into installing it, if anyone would give some words of wisdom it would be kick ass

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
its a fairly difficult install, mainly because the old bushings are a PITA to get out. A propane blowtorch will help you out a lot, but be very careful. Is it worth it? I think so. Think about this, the bushings on your car are about 20 years old... You think they are in as good of shape as when they were new?! Not only that but the urethane is superior to the OEM bushings anyway. Worth the money and time it takes to install, but set aside several hours for it b/c it is time consuming and frustrating.

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
my shifter moves around like I'm stirring a martini. how much would this help? what else needs to be changed to make my shifter act right?
wes g.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Shifter slop is a big and common problem with these cars. The slop typically comes from the U-joint that is built into the linkage, and the bushings have worn. In even more extreme cases, the eyelet of the shift rod where the shift pin goes into the transmission gets worn and also creates slop.

There are three ways of fixing this problem:

1. Buy a brand new shifter linkage, or get one from the wrecker that doesn't have slop, basically, replace the worn part.

2. Drill out the rivets in the u-joint, replace the bushings (with brass, preferably) and put a bolt in instead to hold it tight.

3. Cut and weld in a steering column u-joint <---- IMO the best way to go, as it is the beefiest and most long lasting option (so long as you coat the unit in grease regularly)

Here is a pic of the steering column alternative:

You'll have to jump under and double check it all yourself, but that is the most typical problem.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
cool thanks
wes g.

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Those bushings are well worth it. You can get them from some place like Summit for like 10 bucks or so and you don't have to deal with ebay plus you can get other stuff while you're at it.

Mark, you idea of replacing the U Joint is excellent. If mine picks up anymore slop I'm going to have to go that route as well.

Z
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Is it worth it to get theses bushing if you have a dc sports short throw shifter that has bearings instead of bushings that connnect to the shift rod? and i guess the bushing that connect the torque rod to the chassis could use a replacing. lol
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member