How Hard Is It To Swap An Auto To A 5 Speed?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

thatguytommy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic dx with si motor 1986 bmw 635csi 1989 bmw 525i
well here it gose. i have found an 84 civic it has an bad H.G i dont want the motor i want the body it is in great shape way better then mine. plus the guy that lives across the street from my girls mom house backed into my driver sider door and pushed it in a good way. so i will get some money and i found this civic and its an auto. how hard is it to swap my 5 speed in it? do i just lose the auto and the linkage and just put in my 5 speed set up in. and i will have the fun in running all my wires again in this car . it wasnt really fun the first time . maybe this time it will be better.

thanks tom

Edited by thatguytommy, 31 May 2010 - 11:22 PM.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
you will need to swap the. transmition mount, engine harness, clutch and throttle cables, cluster, dash wireing, you will have to run a pair of wires form the trans to the shifter wireing for reverce lights. you will have to remove the auto shifter wireing. slice in the nutral wire. shifter linkage and shifter.

thatguytommy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It should take a weedend to do . Lol or a week. I was thinking about just swaping out my dash in to the other civic. And I have the backup light delet in the rear. It sounds like a lot of work. I hopeing to find another si in good shape .but the ones I looked at were not worth the money.

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
I just did a manual to auto conversion on my 87 civic dx.

The reverse light delete will save a little trouble. I agree with 3Gcivic on most of the points- passenger side trans mount, throttle cable, shifter linkage. But I'm not sure why you would need to change the engine wiring harness.

You will need to put in a blocking plate where the auto shift cable comes through the floor, and you will need to put in new carper to cover that area.

You will need to change out the plastic e-brake covers.

The manual car has a little metal rim at the base of the shifter that the rubber shift boot hooks around. It seems to be spot welded in, so you will need to come up with a way to fasten the rubber shift boot to the floor.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
no need to swap harnesses, there will be extra plugs but you can cut and cap them off...
I did an auto to manual swap a few months ago, it isn't really much more work than a regular ol engine swap, just gotta make sure you have all the right parts before you start or you're in for a headache running back and forth to get what you need
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

thatguytommy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jun 1 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no need to swap harnesses, there will be extra plugs but you can cut and cap them off...
I did an auto to manual swap a few months ago, it isn't really much more work than a regular ol engine swap, just gotta make sure you have all the right parts before you start or you're in for a headache running back and forth to get what you need
won't I have to use my si harnesses in side the car for the ecu and vss ?
And thanks for are y'alls help..

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
Oh yes- good point- you will need the Si harness to put the fuel injected engine into a carbed chassis.

TribalHatch

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CiviC SI
would there be things needed like the si gas tank and such ?

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
No.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
anyone mention the pedal assembly?

bout the biggest PITA on any auto-manual swap

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
ah... swapping to efi.. guess that explains why you wanted to swap harness's
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i mentioned the engine harnness becuse when i did the swap the auto dose NOT have the same firewall to engine connetor becuase it dosnt use a reverce from the transmission so the connetor is smaller on the auto then the standered.