• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

C.J.

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1998 Suzuki X90
    • Image Gallery
yeah, it's that bad. Do ya'll think it's time to rebuild the all original 256,000 mile motor?

It's been a while since I visited... The crapbox is still going strong BTW

Has anyone ever tried a 3.8L SC swap?

redsautorehab

• 3gen enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 00 Dodge Durango, 01 Ford F250, 99 Chevy Tracker, 82 suzuki rm250
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
3.8l sc swap? are you talking about the buick motor? if so, i believe it would require excessive customization

as far as your fuel economy, i believe a rebuild probably won't change anything. unless you have a dead cylinder. my recommendation would be to pay a shop to diagnose if you are not mechanically astute, then come back here with the diagnosis for advise on how exactly to repair
"You play hard to get, I play hard to get rid of" Fez, That 70's Show

my website if you need parts for your car, and i don't have them at on my website, just pm me. I can get most of the common parts for our cars.

my vouch thread

C.J.

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
It's been getting that sice I bought the thing last year, just never bothered to see what MPG it got. I took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything alarming, all cylinders seen to be working. The car makes plenty of power. I'm not really worried about it, it's not burning much oil. I know it needs another throttle body judging by the hard starting in cold weather... would that affect mileage that much?

Yeah, I was talking about the Buick motor, or possibly the Ford 3.8. I was just wondering sizewise if it was too big to fit between the wheels and under the hood. It's a slowly developing dream of mine.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (C.J. @ Aug 8 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been getting that sice I bought the thing last year, just never bothered to see what MPG it got. I took it to the shop and they couldn't find anything alarming, all cylinders seen to be working. The car makes plenty of power. I'm not really worried about it, it's not burning much oil. I know it needs another throttle body judging by the hard starting in cold weather... would that affect mileage that much?

Yeah, I was talking about the Buick motor, or possibly the Ford 3.8. I was just wondering sizewise if it was too big to fit between the wheels and under the hood. It's a slowly developing dream of mine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's too big >_<

On a side note. I want to buy myself another 4door '85 Cutlass Cierra (or maybe the 2 door) and drop in that 3.8sc from the Grand Prix... I've always found it enticing that that engine can pull the Prix 0-60 in 5secconds and the 4 door olds is 500lb lighter XD

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
you Oldsmobile guys are dorks... get an integra engine if you want more power.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
wow. i average 34mpg with my 230k mile civic.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
I agree with others that your problem is probably not the engine. I bought a parts car a few years back when I was going to convert my racecar from a carb'd DX motor to an Si motor. The motor had over 200K miles and two cylinders only had about 60psi compression and it drank oil like crazy. Even in that condition, I still got around 30-35mpg. In fact, for the 6 months that I drove the car, the savings on gas money compared to my truck was enough to recover the cost that I paid for the car!

FWIW - the motor has since been completely rebuilt as my race engine. It now gets around 12mpg in it's current state of tune...but then again it never runs below 6000rpm either biggrin.gif
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
maybe ya got a gas leak from the tank or lines...

syko_tek1

Driving habits play a big role in fuel economy. If I drive like I have sense I get about 34 MPG, But If I drive how I like to drive I get about 12-15 MPG. Oh yeah I have d16y8 injectors so it runs a little rich (hence the 12 MPG sometimes)

crxeditsmall.jpg

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 8 2007, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you Oldsmobile guys are dorks... get an integra engine if you want more power.

Why the hell would I put an Integra engine into an Oldsmobile? O_o

(I'm assuming the comment was aimed at me also as it's plural and I'm the only other guy so far that talked about the Oldsmobile.)

C.J.

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 9 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe ya got a gas leak from the tank or lines...

I fixed a big one.. I hope there's not another. I'll try driving really easy for a couple tanks and see how it does.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (Greg Gauper @ Aug 9 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, for the 6 months that I drove the car, the savings on gas money compared to my truck was enough to recover the cost that I paid for the car!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Aug 9 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why the hell would I put an Integra engine into an Oldsmobile? O_o

(I'm assuming the comment was aimed at me also as it's plural and I'm the only other guy so far that talked about the Oldsmobile.)

I was talking about his civic

C.J.

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 10 2007, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was talking about his civic

I dunno... I'd like to swap something in that's not really been done before, like the Shogun. It's a Ford Festiva with a mid-mounted Taurus SHO Yamaha motor. something like that would be awesome biggrin.gif

TheOdditie

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 91 Civic Hatch(b18a1), 91 Civic hatch(d16z6)
QUOTE (C.J. @ Aug 10 2007, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno... I'd like to swap something in that's not really been done before, like the Shogun. It's a Ford Festiva with a mid-mounted Taurus SHO Yamaha motor. something like that would be awesome biggrin.gif

I've seen a Festiva with that done to it in Tulsa a few years back...I wanted to take it for a spin. Those motors are nuts too, I race against way too many of them, can always tell when they are around you mad.gif
Tony