Water/ Methanol Injection

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI Turbo EW-4 225 whp 230 torque and a 99 Civic SI 2004 Acura TSX
In the Quest to make over 225whp & 230 torque reliable from a 12 valve single cam 1.5L turbo engine I soon realized that Ca. 91 octane gas would not work. Race gas works great but is very expensive when you commute 80 miles a day. Adding Toluene to your gas is an alternative that works as good as race gas and is cheaper but still costly in the long run. So I decided to try water/methanol injection. Distilled water mixed 50/50 with methanol. Ive had great results and it lasts along time.

Edited by sawchuk, 30 March 2010 - 10:55 PM.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Care to elaborate on the results? Lower EGT's? What kind of setup do you have? Just curious.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI Turbo EW-4 225 whp 230 torque and a 99 Civic SI 2004 Acura TSX
QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Mar 9 2010, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to elaborate on the results? Lower EGT's? What kind of setup do you have? Just curious.

The results are no detonation and being able to advance the timing curve more= 225 whp 230 torque. I have a built EW engine with Arais pistons & Pauter rods, Garrett GT25 ball bearing turbo, Ferrea valves, Flow benched head with exhaust ports welded up and reshaped for flow. Tuned with Hondata.

VaporParanoia

• Low Budget Billionaire
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,05 Honda CRV, My Wife Up a Wall
do you have dyno charts from pre and post H2o/MeOH
"Horsepower sets how fast you hit the wall. Torque sets the size of the hole."

"... the motor car was poetry and tragedy, love and heroism." - Sinclair Lewis

Your car is an eminently replaceable mass production inanimate object that doesn't give a fuck about you.

"...Twas hard the woeful words to frame; To break the ties that bound us; But harder still to bear the shame; Of foreign chains around us..." - Robert Dwyer Joyce

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (VaporParanoia @ Mar 9 2010, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you have dyno charts from pre and post H2o/MeOH

Yes I do because when I built this engine I had plenty of prior turbo experience with the Ew. I had a naturally aspirated Ew that made a 110 whp. it was fun. Then I acquired the super rare HKS Stage 3 turbo kit that ran 12 psi of innercooled boost for $800.00 and was able to make 163whp & 174.2 torque on a race-pump gas mix. I knew that the GarretteT2 turbo that HKS used off a Chrysler Labaron was to small to achive my goal of 200whp so I went with a Garrette GT25.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
where do you buy your alcohol? ph34r.gif

(I wish I had a boosted car and fed it straight foties of OE or red dog... but it probably wouldn't have enough alcohol)
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Mar 10 2010, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where do you buy your alcohol? ph34r.gif

(I wish I had a boosted car and fed it straight foties of OE or red dog... but it probably wouldn't have enough alcohol)

I buy it at ERC Racing Fuels [engine research co.]. It is not to far from work. It is triple filtered methanol [smooth].

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I bet I am the only one running a Snow Performance water/methanol injection kit on this site. It almost turns 91 octane into 117 octane C 16 race gas. Not quite, but close.

Edited by sawchuk, 30 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500S - ZC converted
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
im hopefully going to run water injection on mine in the future, probably not in the near future tho

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (fat_85_civic @ Mar 31 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im hopefully going to run water injection on mine in the future, probably not in the near future tho

Nice.

Toneco

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic Sedan
wow simply wow.
nice.
myspace.com/toneco9227
87 civic Sedan DD[Stolen]
93 civic EH [SOLD]
87 civic Sedan [SOLD]

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Integta LS; 87 RT4WD (RIP)
    Garage View Garage
Sorry to revive an old post, but I have a Snow Performance water/meth kit sitting in my garage...

Where did you put your nozzle? Before the carb?* Sorry, realized your SI is most likely FI.

Thanks!

Edited by loiselle.m, 21 October 2012 - 05:44 PM.