Jeepgirl's Engine Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
Well hubby and I are in the middle of swapping the 1.3L into the new car.... and we ran into a snag...

The ignition coil on the 1.5L has a couple of extra plugs that the 1.3L coil doesn't have, and these plugs are tied into the harness so I kinda can't just take it out and use the one from the 1.3L... as I don't know what the plugs go to and with them being tied into the main harness I think they must be important..

Question is.. can we just plug our 1.3L ignition wire into the 1.5L coil pack, I believe we can.. I just need confirmation from someone with more experience.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I don't recall having any issues when I went from 1.3 to 1.5, so the reverse should be true. However, it has been awhile, and that was a pretty shitty swap for me, so I may have blocked a few things out...
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Ok, there is one wire firmly attached to the underside of the dist that goes to the coil where it to is firmly attached.. now can we splice that connection? Or do we have to swap that small box under the dist to the dist on the 1.3? (forgive my non-tech terms.. I'm not awake and I don't have my manual handy)

Anyway, were off to the shop.. I'll hop online there to check this thread.

Thanks smile.gif

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You should have 4 wires (2 yellow with a stripe, and 2 blue) The other wire is a radio noise supressor (black or red i cant remember at this time you can leave this one disconnected) and then a green wire that goes to a diode. I want to say that the blue wires are negative and the yellow are positive.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
If you want to look at an 86 CRX 1.5L Si engine out of the car with all the wires attached let me know. I have one I just pulled out so you could check and compare. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Well it looks as though we are going to have to splice into that wire.. the coil on the 1.5 has 2 proprietary plugs... whereas the 1.3 doesn't have a plug at all, the wire are just bolted on with eyelets...

We decided to just clip off the plug and splice it onto the lead coming off the dist, it'll work fine.

I've been taking pics, I'll post them up when the swap is done.

Thanks again for the pointers everyone.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Ok, I have one more question for you all...

Were going from auto to manual, we have the leads for the reverse lights coming from the tranny... but were both very unsure on how to go about hooking them up as the one from the auto trans was in the linkage area...

Pointers?

Thanks in advance.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Dec 30 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I have one more question for you all...

Were going from auto to manual, we have the leads for the reverse lights coming from the tranny... but were both very unsure on how to go about hooking them up as the one from the auto trans was in the linkage area...

Pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Been there, done that. Run the wires from the tranny into the cabin to the shifter console, and connect them to the Yellow and Green/Black wires. I don't think it matters which goes to which.

http://redpepperraci...16--60.png.html

Tom

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Dec 30 2007, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been there, done that. Run the wires from the tranny into the cabin to the shifter console, and connect them to the Yellow and Green/Black wires. I don't think it matters which goes to which.

http://redpepperraci...16--60.png.html

Tom

Ok, so we should find the rest of the harness (plug for the auto tranny) and splice the leads from the 5spd into it on the correct wires?

Bear with me as it's been a long day, I'm sure it's a simple fix, I'm just not thinking clearly.

I'm off to bed, I'll check the thread again in the morning for replies.

Thanks again RPR smile.gif

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When I did it I just spliced into the harness at the shifter area. Obviously you don't need the actual shifter mechanism, but the wires are still there. You will also need to short the two wires in that harness that are the ignition lockout, otherwise you will not be able to start the car (it won't know it's in park). I think it's two thick black wires.

Tom

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thanks for the tip, we both forgot about that....

I might be back with another question or two.

Thanks again RPR!

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Dec 30 2007, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will also need to short the two wires in that harness that are the ignition lockout, otherwise you will not be able to start the car (it won't know it's in park). I think it's two thick black wires.

Tom

By this you mean just connect them together creating a dead short?

So far we have in no particular order:

Pulled the 1.5L and auto trans.

pressure washed both engines after using an industrial degreaser.

reset the valve lash on the 1.3L (Intakes were way to tight and the exhaust were way to loose)

Swapped valve covers so I can use my winter stock carbhat and repaint the custom valve cover.

windshield urethaned another motor mount, making 2 semi-solid ones I'm using now...

pulled the water temp sensor off the 1.5 and installed it on the 1.3(the 1.3 didn't have one unsure.gif )

installed the 1.3L... took us all of 20 minutes to get it in place and bolted into the mounts tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif All Praise the Bay Lift and the 2000lb engine hoist!!! I have pics!

pulled the blower motor and cleaned it out really well along with the duct work and sprayed them with NilOdor, New car smell anyone?

wiped off 20 years of dust under the dash.... with a blow gun!

swapped in my manual pedalset AFTER my hubby added a bunch more sturdy spot welds to them to reinforce them.

changed all the heater and rad hoses for new ones, changed all the hose clamps too.

hooked up all the vac/fuel lines.

spliced into the coil plug and hooked it up.

regreased and repainted the shift linkage, added another bolt and some nylon washers with a couple of nuts to hold it all together, it gets installed tomorrow.

Ordered a new oil filter and 5L of 10W30 for an oil change and to fill the transmission this morning, they delivered it 15 minutes later!!! The driver took back my old axle for the core charge so we killed two birds with one stone and didn't have to leave the shop.

Hooked up the throttle/choke/clutch cables and fed them through the firewall, to be hooked up tomorrow.

Swapped brake boosters, the stock red tagged one the car came with had a leak in the diaphram, so I swapped in my old but good blue tag one.

Hooked up the brakes to the pedal.

Still lots of stuff left to do, Plus I have to install my alarm system. Never got around to washing the engine bay, the hose for the pressure washer wouldn't reach...

Tomorrow we button some more stuff up and install all new (or very very close to new) front end parts. Then figure out some minor wiring details, Hook up the pedals, exhaust system. Then it's onto tuning....

Were hoping to be on the road by the weekend. Just taking our time and making sure it's all done right.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well, off to the shop for another full day of work.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Dec 31 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By this you mean just connect them together creating a dead short?

Yep.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
your coil question you can can use the 1.3 coil on the 1.5 it dosnt change anything i did that when i did a 84-86 swap. they were diff.
the auto to manuel is fun. if you look up my post on my race car i have all the info in there too on how i did. it.

the revs wires i spliced my own 2 wires form the ebay to under my drivers seat. i keep the auto harnness in the car an spliced the wires together. also a bonece with the auto wires you get the nutrle start wires so you can make a kill switch or a extra one to hide as a security for theft.