Bridgestone To Release 2 New Models Of Potenzas

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I might be missing a model or two and I know Firestone (owned by Bridgestone) has a couple new tires coming out, including the all season version of the current Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 that seems promising. According to all of the searching I've done withing the last few hours, it seems as though I am breaking this story (or Google's spiders haven't found anything pertaining to it yet!) since the only mentions I've found to any of the key words that I know of only turn up a link or two to a handful of patent info websites- trademarkia.com and seravia.com.

The two Potenzas I speak of are, I believe, new models to replace current/similar tires already on the market:
The RE960AS pole position

which is the tire I've pushed, and continue to push toward our members for daily duty. I really wish this tire was available in a lower profile 15 inch size but Bridgestone doesn't offer much help to the 15" honda enthusiast, which, don't get me wrong, the RE-11 is an amazing tire(I will soon own a set or two), it just isn't in the same class as the RE960AS.

This tire is set to be replaced by the "RE970AS pole position" and, though I only got a brief glance at the tire, I can safely assume that is just an updated version of the 960. Bridgestone has a history of adding 10 units to their model names of the Potenza brand variety (see the history of the 7xx series).

The S-03

Is set to be replaced by the S-04 and, judging my limited research, the "S" series of Potenza tends to change a bit more drastically through it's revision models- I'm not terribly familiar with this tire so I may be incorrect when I say this, but, I don't understand why they'd make another model of Potenza when they already have a Potenza for every niche/purpose of sports car (except snow racing enthusiast).

...anyway, I have to get ready for work (selling Bridgestone's products!) I'll pick up on this later if anyone cares! The moral of the story here, kids, is that there are new Potenzas coming out and I want some more 14" and 15" size options- not to mention a 13" option but I'm not getting my hopes up!!! (how about a 195/55/13 RE-11!!!!)

PS. I really hope nobody gets mad at me for using their pictures!

Edited by zakats, 20 February 2011 - 11:45 AM.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
This is cool news, I currently run the RE960AS pole position on my truck. LOVE the tire, best I have ever had. I'm actually going to need new tires for the CRX in a few months and will be shopping around, crosses fingers for good size options.

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
I have the 960as on my honda in 195/60/14 and they are hands down the best tire I have ever had on this car. Better than falken azenis, eagle F1, hankooks, G force sport 2s, anything. I love the comfort, cornering, wet and dry traction, and they have a 40,000 miles warranty!

Here is what they look like. 1.5 inch drop in the back, front dropped to match.

Off topic, I also have Destination M/T's on my Z71. I am going to end up getting 35,000 miles out of them. I have to say that overall I am very happy with Firestone/Bridgestone performance.

Joseph

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Ive done some reading about the new potenza. Being a potenza owner myself, with a set of re07s on my RX-8. Lets just say that on recomended 100 km roads, its not hard to stick in the hairpins at that speed. But they wore out way too quickly for my taste. All four of my tires need replacing (17,000) kms. The rears obviously need it more that the front. Im guessing i could have got about 30,000 out of them max.

My buddies got a set of re09s on his subie wrx, they stick good too, other than when he does all wheel drive donuts...woot. Gotta love flat 4 torque.

As for the re11's, i heard that they revamped the tire to make it lighter and better for hard camber lowered cars by adding lots of material in the corners of the material. Dont quote me on this but re09 vs re11, is 15% lighter.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Feb 13 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive done some reading about the new potenza. Being a potenza owner myself, with a set of re07s on my RX-8. Lets just say that on recomended 100 km roads, its not hard to stick in the hairpins at that speed. But they wore out way too quickly for my taste. All four of my tires need replacing (17,000) kms. The rears obviously need it more that the front. Im guessing i could have got about 30,000 out of them max.

My buddies got a set of re09s on his subie wrx, they stick good too, other than when he does all wheel drive donuts...woot. Gotta love flat 4 torque.

As for the re11's, i heard that they revamped the tire to make it lighter and better for hard camber lowered cars by adding lots of material in the corners of the material. Dont quote me on this but re09 vs re11, is 15% lighter.

The I can't speak for the RE-09 but I know that the RE-11 isn't intended to last more than 20-30k and, honestly, as high of performance that I want from that kind of tire, I wouldn't want it to last 40k, then it wouldn't be sticky enough to give me performance.

The only other tire that is available in RE-11 sizes that is similar would be the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec .....(pause to rest hands from typing that name).... which, aside from the UTQG rating, is inferior. I know that the aforementioned tire is very good but it isn't quite as good as the RE-11 in that it doesn't hold up to temperature.

Almost two weeks later and I'm still the one to have brought this up? By the time I posted this, I have used every search engine that I could get my mouse on and have found no mention of this topic... It might be a first for RPR to break a, albeit minor, story like this. Don't mind me tooting my own whistle, but you'd think somebody would have put the word out by now. Look for these tires around May-August; god help us, I want more options.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I got word of a meeting that will take place in the near future regarding training on these new tires. It might happen sometime in mid-march but I am not certain.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Alas, no new tires for us. Last week's tire new training sessions were almost all for not. The new RE970AS is a neat tire and will have some pretty neat technology to put it at the top of it's class, but if the sizing charts I got are 100% correct, it will offer even fewer >05 civic options. The new Firehawk wide oval AS' are ok but don't offer anything for us. The class covered the differences between the RE-11 and RE-01r, the teacher kept referring to the 01r as a "drift tire," so if you didn't like it, there is your reason. The S-04 pole position is basically a new name for a slightly redesigned RE050, marketed toward high-end cars, SUV's, and high option cars (mustang/camar/z-cars with the big wheel options)

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
I was going to say "sure Zak, right after you convince me to buy 960AS's a brand new, much improved version comes out!" smile.gif

I've got the 960s on my 308 and in a few weeks the CRX. Great tire!