Towing A Crx, Single Axle Trailer Is Okay, Right?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Hey guys, is there any real issues with having a single axle trailer for the 1g? 

Looking on other forums about trailers everyone talks like a single axle is a death trap... Please advise.

I want to have a trailer for the sole purpose of towing my CR-X. Needs to be light as my tow rig is a 2003 nissan frontier V6.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

The CRX is easily considered a "light" vehicle for trailering.  I don't see why not.  

I found these guys that make a nice single axle car carrier, and they look perfectly road worthy.

http://www.pacwesttr...er_trailers.htm

PW144580.JPG

trailer.jpg

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Yeah those look good!

I think I have just been reading negative nanny comments too much on the 1x axle and it started to get to my head. If EPcivic is doing it, and he is one of the smartest dudes on this site, I shall follow suit!

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
I use and prefer my dual axle. If you go single axle, just make sure you have plenty of truck pulling it. I have had a tire go on a single axle I was pulling and it was a scary ride, even in my 5500 pound truck.

My fear would be one of tires going while it was loading and snatching your off the road or into another lane.

Joseph

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx

I towed my CRX on a single axle trailer all over CA and OR with my Ford Ranger Edge, no problem, but more axles, a heavy tow vehical with a stiff suspension in good condition, more better. Good tires with lots air, also a plus, Dave

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Only reason for two axles is to bear more weight. A plus is the other axle will carry the weight in the event of a flat. The trick is having the weight in the right place. Get too much weight aft, and it doesn't matter how many axles you have. It won't pull for shit without whipping all over the road. With a fwd, the weight will be well forward of the axle so it would pull fine. DO NOT load it backwards unless you only want to do 40 with your ass puckered. I loaded a 1/2 ton pick-up backward on my 20' car hauler and I still have nightmares. And that was with a 7500# tow rig..

Weight distribution and good tires are paramount.

Oh, and if the weight distribution is good, you would scarce know you had a flat. Maybe a little rumble in your seat.

Edited by Dirtcircle86, 21 March 2014 - 07:10 PM.

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si

The general rule of thumb is to have the tongue weigh 10%-15% of the total trailer weight. 

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
I also towed my CRX on a single axle trailer for a couple of seasons. The car weighed just under 1600 pounds, and it towed fine with our 6-cylinder Chevy Trailblazer. I always had two spares just in case.
No power . . . no weight

Jim Hardesty

I've towed mine on a single axle for 5 years.  Works fine, two axles would be nice, but not necessary.

rockosocko

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 2 many 2 list..

Probably the most problems come with a "short" single axle that they load

wrong and it starts to swim all over the road at 50mph. (scares the _____ out of you) and everyone else around you.

If you find one, lengthen it about 4-5' and give it a little more tongue weight. 

A tilt one would be nice.

If you can find a 'dolley' like from U-haul, that would be great. stores nice to.

e

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5

OK I towed my Formula Ford for years with a single axle.

My 26ft sailboat's trailer is a single axle and at 3500lbs towing weight, I have towed it with a 150hp mini van. Sucked on mountians in Kentucky but was fine on the flats. I now tow it and 20ft race box trailer with a 4.7L v8 Tundra.

Now there are single axles and there are single axles. Axles are usually off the shelf units and are rated for specific weight loading. My boat has a 3500lbs axle, my race trailer has 2, 3500lbs axles so it is 7000lbs gross capability.  Same trailer had a 5000lbs axle option (10000lbs goss)

So pay attention to the total trailer weight plus car and equip. weight and make sure the trailer and axles are rated for that. Position the car on the trailer so that the tounge weight is at the reccommended amount. once you find where the car should sit on the trailer, then install some front tire chaulks and front and rear tiedown rings. OK the car is too low for the front lip/dam to go over the caulks, paint marks on trailer where the front wheels should go and make the caulks removable with a bolt or 2.

On tires.  Use 8 ply Trailer radials set at 60psi. (no car tires..trailer tires only)  I have had problems on the Boat and Race trailers with cheap OEM crossply tires.  8 ply Radials also got rid of the sway on both trailers.

Buford Out

CSPCRX

Used single axle for years, no problem at all. When i had my new trailer built i went dual axles for two reasons. First, know what else i will tow on it. Second if i ever get a flat the trailer will stay stable. Third, ok one more, i can remove a flat tire and still drive if i needed to.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Dual axle - you won't regret it.  I towed my dual axle with a '91 Toyota 3L for years (put 227k miles on the Toyota) and never had an issue.  Get a trailer brake controller, a set of air bags/spring helpers and a load leveling hitch for a light weight truck - it will tow like a dream and be safe.

Kirk

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango

I use a single axle trailer. Its quite handy, and I have gotten flats before and didn't have issues with stability, just pull over and change it like any flat.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!