Introducing Myself

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself as this seems like a pretty tight-knit community.  I just picked up my fifth Honda, an '86 DX and have been reading as much as I can from the site.  My plan was to convert it to fuel injected, but seeing as I have a tight budget and strict daily driving goals (going back to college), it looks like I'll be learning the in's and out's of carburetors.  

The car needs some TLC, but only has a little bit of rust and what I would consider "good bones".  I'm sorting out an issue with the front brakes not working and should have it sorted out by this weekend.  Other than that, I'm having issues with it idling too high and smoking quite a bit.  I figure that I'd at least get it road worthy (fixing the brakes) first and then start really focusing on getting it to run how it should.  I've replaced a few things so far and have a few more parts on their way to install this weekend. 

-Master Cylinder

-Front pads/rotors

-Front Calipers

-Both Fuel Filters

-PCV

-Air Filter

-Driver's Side Axle

-Battery

There were probably some other miscellaneous things I did/bought, but I already forget.  

Check out the 5-lug conversion!

photo_zps32a0b361.jpg

photo_zpsa1f93bad.jpg

What happens when I first start it up. 

photo_zps41f97f68.jpg

I already made a thread in the Carb section, but figured since you guys didn't know me from Adam, an introduction might be warranted. 

Here are some pictures of cars I've had in the past.

I deeply regret selling this earlier this year.  I spun a bearing in the stock 245k mile motor at a track day last year and had since rebuilt it.  Added an LSD, Carbon Syncros, Bilstein/GC suspension and some other crap.  

photo_zpscf17ed91.jpg

photo-158.jpg

02590004.jpg

DSC_0034-1.jpg

Look forward to spending more time on here and soaking in as much as I can.

-Nick

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage

ghost story...

welcome to the forums, looks pretty clean to be honest... minus that photo with all the smoke... hahaha

that's not a real 5 lug is it? hahaha who would go through all that trouble and no do an engine swap?

Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Where are you located? I graduated from NC State and noticed your wolfpack sticker in the garage. You going to state?

Joseph

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

ghost story...

welcome to the forums, looks pretty clean to be honest... minus that photo with all the smoke... hahaha

that's not a real 5 lug is it? hahaha who would go through all that trouble and no do an engine swap?

Haha!  Nope, not a real 5-lug.  The previous owner couldn't find 13" tires, so he bought 14" and got steelies too; they're just 5-lug hubcaps. 

Where are you located? I graduated from NC State and noticed your wolfpack sticker in the garage. You going to state?

Joseph

I live in Raleigh (Garner to be exact) and will hopefully be transferring to NC State once I take all my preliminary transfer courses at Wake Tech.  The picture of my silver WRX was taken on State's campus, actually. 

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Welcome to the show.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Nice, I live right outside of garner and work off of Lake Wheeler Road. Let me know if you ever need any help with the rex. There are a few of us around with several crx's and parts.

Welcome to the group.

Joseph

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks for the welcome, Chedda.

Nice, I live right outside of garner and work off of Lake Wheeler Road. Let me know if you ever need any help with the rex. There are a few of us around with several crx's and parts.

Welcome to the group.

Joseph

That's awesome!  I will most likely be taking you up on the offer, as I feel like the cause of all the smoking is going to get the best of me.  Being that it's mostly white/gray, I'm assuming it's coolant, although it doesn't have a sweet smell at all, rather pungent and "exhausty" for lack of a better word. 

I plan on removing the tank and giving it a good clean this weekend, then replacing the fuel filters and also the PCV.  I don't expect those to get rid of the smoking, but want to start crossing possible issues off the list.  Do you get on here pretty often? 

letank

Nice fumigation work.... as for the high idle (how much), check for vacuum leaks, spray some WD-40 or any other solvent to pinpoint to a higher idle. There is a big intake manifold hose in the back of the engine, slightly above the alternator.

civicVacLeak.jpg

Otherwise the dreaded carburetor gasket....