Help With The Timing Of An 87 Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

GalloK20

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: CIvic Si EP3 ,Crx Si 87 a.k.a Garage Queen
i have have doubt about settig the correct timing on the camgear in the crank i set up with the carved with dot in when i run the car and it don't accelerate well if somebody can put a picture from a proper timing setting would be great thanks
Posted Image

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Cam timing is not difficult, but requires some effort.

There is a "key" (a notch) on the snout of the cam and the crank. Both keys need to be at 12 o'clock when you install a timing belt.

After you are sure your cam.timing is correct, use a timing light to set ignition timing.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

mtcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
As Scott would say- I bet your cam gear is off a tooth. It is hard to get the gear aligned correctly in the car, hard to see the marks directly. Recheck the gear alignment. I had the same problem, reset the gear and the power reappeared and the timing marks lined up on the crankshaft. One clue that the cam gear is off might be that you cannot adjust the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley to line up with the mark using a timing light.
MTCRX
1987 CRX-SI
Daily driver, autocross, and track days. Fun car and getting better with each improvement learned from RPR members.

GalloK20

• Granny
  • Pip
im going to borrow the timing ligth today to check it but the notch that your are talking scott how is the way the big one at 12 and the small one at 6 ? because i saw that one is longer that another thanks again people :)
Posted Image

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
its not that hard if you dont have to pass ca smog

mtcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

As Scott would say- I bet your cam gear is off a tooth. It is hard to get the gear aligned correctly in the car, hard to see the marks directly. Recheck the gear alignment. I had the same problem, reset the gear and the power reappeared and the timing marks lined up on the crankshaft. One clue that the cam gear is off might be that you cannot adjust the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley to line up with the mark using a timing light.

Scott is talking about the larger groove where the key (square metal piece that fits in the groove) goes to hold the cam and pulley in place. There is a large groove on the cam gear and another on the pulley gear on the crankshaft down below, both need to be pointing straight up at 12 o'clock. look in the manuals on this website to see diagrams.
MTCRX
1987 CRX-SI
Daily driver, autocross, and track days. Fun car and getting better with each improvement learned from RPR members.

GalloK20

• Granny
  • Pip
mtcrx if i look from above the pulley gear groove must be aligned with camshaft groove thats the way ??? tell me if im coorrect both 12 o'clock
:D :D
Posted Image

mtcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
You are not aligning camshaft with crankshaft by site, both shafts just have have the keyway in the 12:00 position, the keyways are both pointing/facing straight up. THink of what it is doing, you are aligning the piston position with the crankshaft, and aligning the valves with the piston position. You are close now so the only adjustment you need to do is moving the camshaft pulley one tooth most likely. If you aren't sure don't pull the timing belt off and move everything around. Remember, too far off and the valves will hit the piston and you will have a damaged, non-functioning engine. Before you take everything apart set the keyway on the crankshaft (bottom pulley) to 12:00, straight up. Look at the camshaft keyway (top pulley/gear) and see how close to 12:00 it is. The relative postion it is off from vertical should give you an idea of which way to adjust your camgear. Make adjustments in very small increments, one tooth at a time, and never move the camshaft more than a couple of teeth away from where you are now. Others on here know how many teeth off causes bent valves, I think it is only maybe 2 or 3 teeth off.

The camshaft pulley also has marks on it to align it with the top of the engine block. Even though it looked in-line, my camshaft was off a tooth, you need to carefully measure to get everything lined up just right. I used a straight edge on the block and one on the cam pulley to get proper alignment with the engine in the car.

But make sure you are getting pistons and valves in proper synchronization. Others on this site that deal with this more than I may have better comments. Don't rush if you aren't sure, it is a good way to wreck the engine.
MTCRX
1987 CRX-SI