Speaker Box Choices

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Box

Which One to Build

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 CRX
    Garage View Garage
Well I have designed 3 different box and I need help choosing which one to use. They are all tuned between 35-38 hz when is fine. I just don't know which would be better. The box is going into my crx. The Subs are 2 12" Type R's.
Here are the choices.

Box01

Box02

Box03

Edited by blu84rex, 18 February 2007 - 12:05 PM.

Conceal nothing... And watch the fools search forever!

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would go with the first one but devide the chambers personally. I'm running a 3 chamber tuned poerted box with 4 10" in my blue crx and it's increadible.

RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
id go with box 2 or 3
Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
forget the insane weight addition, I never thought I'd ever say this butt
I'd rather have a plastic bass bazooka...not massive amount of wattage but good enough sound quality and db's
I plan to buy one down the road once Im done with the more important things... like finishing my insane B series wiring!
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Wolf, that's an extreamly nice looking box. Do all of the access panels lock in some sort of way for theft deterance? The box alone looks like there's nothing there, except the ports. That's what I would do if I was to build a custom box.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (gustav129 @ Feb 12 2007, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wolf, that's an extreamly nice looking box. Do all of the access panels lock in some sort of way for theft deterance? The box alone looks like there's nothing there, except the ports. That's what I would do if I was to build a custom box.

The oem glovebox locks, there is no access to the subs it's screwed shut and the amp cover doesn't look like it would open if you didn't know it up front(no handle of any sort).

Zakats, this is a real lite weight box, the speakers weigh more then the box does. Everything you see is made out of a lite weight panel board. This system is for SQ not db, the total wattage is 264 and the last spl tested was only 134 and it for my ears not the people outside the car. I retired this car from auto-x in 2000 and made it my DD comuter car so I could care less if it slowes me down a bit to have a sweet system.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I wasnt directing that to you but toward some of the youngsters reading the thread smile.gif I admire your setup, its mucho clean but I really didnt even think about your car when I wrote that, I was just looking at his design plans and recalling apon some of the boxes I built in high school... All I know is that I built boxes smaller than that and they were reeeally heavy which I guess really only matters if you're aspiring to navigate twisties... jus thought Id put the suggestion in... even though it would mean spending money on a...dare I say the aweful name... bass bazooka, but theres gotta be another company that makes a similar product thats BETTER. I've seen some with wooden enclosures but I like the idea of having a plastic enclosure, for the simple, unimmaginative installation, they sound decent.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
No problem, sorry if it sounded like I snapped a little I didn't mean it that way. I just put alot of testing and experamenting into this thing to get it as light as possable and was defending my work. no harm no foul. wink.gif
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
Looks real good, Wolfcrx. I think the idea of a thin material in the bass box makes sense just because you don't see a lot of solid, heavy, crate-like cellos in the string section of orchestras - resonance sounds better when not damped by mass.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, just blowing smoke.

-Gil

lowered member

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
being a stereo installer and also building several crx competition vehicles box 1 will be louder as long as the port is firing backward toward the rear of the hatch
[/url]

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 CRX
    Garage View Garage
Yeah the port will be firing to the back and the subs will be firing Up. I am still looking for another Type R duel 4ohm right now as my otherone got messed when my brother decided to try and cram a 2x4 in my car.
Conceal nothing... And watch the fools search forever!

Installer1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 crx si, 1991 civic hatch turbo zc
I have built 4 boxes for my crx.......all being vented, and I fired the vent out of the side and the woofer up. .......great spl and not bad sound quality. It is my daily driver and I install for a living, so I still like to get out and jam with the younger pplz.
Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute me giving you all my extra parts.......

katulu

• On Fire
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2008 Chevy Cobalt/2001 Chrysler Town and Country
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (WOLFCRX @ Feb 13 2007, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The oem glovebox locks, there is no access to the subs it's screwed shut and the amp cover doesn't look like it would open if you didn't know it up front(no handle of any sort).

Zakats, this is a real lite weight box, the speakers weigh more then the box does. Everything you see is made out of a lite weight panel board. This system is for SQ not db, the total wattage is 264 and the last spl tested was only 134 and it for my ears not the people outside the car. I retired this car from auto-x in 2000 and made it my DD comuter car so I could care less if it slowes me down a bit to have a sweet system.

wolf,
I LOVE the look of that box, I know you prob like to keep a few of your secrets, but can you give me some more specs on this enclosure, I'm guessing it's a bandpass box, but how are the ports situated? what are the subs? I was thinking of a certain bandpass design in my rex but I think I like your setup better.

QUOTE (Installer1 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have built 4 boxes for my crx.......all being vented, and I fired the vent out of the side and the woofer up. .......great spl and not bad sound quality. It is my daily driver and I install for a living, so I still like to get out and jam with the younger pplz.

heh, I've been installing for about 12 years now, and my vechicles always seem to get the stuff last, and never seem to get done. even the wifey's caravan got done before my crx (I did an extensive 5 screen dvd setup and fiberglassed a 10" sub into the rear panel, but that, of course didn't get the youngins really excited, but a few of the people my age now have had me do similar setups) I want my crx to demonstrate what most of our customers are looking for, so I want to make some noise, but I want the box to be removable, and compliment the interior in the vechicle.

john
play me loud, just don't blow me

Installer1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 crx si, 1991 civic hatch turbo zc
QUOTE (katulu @ Feb 14 2007, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
heh, I've been installing for about 12 years now, and my vechicles always seem to get the stuff last, and never seem to get done. even the wifey's caravan got done before my crx (I did an extensive 5 screen dvd setup and fiberglassed a 10" sub into the rear panel, but that, of course didn't get the youngins really excited, but a few of the people my age now have had me do similar setups) I want my crx to demonstrate what most of our customers are looking for, so I want to make some noise, but I want the box to be removable, and compliment the interior in the vechicle.

john

ya, in May it will be my 17th year installing. I enjoy it as much as I did when I started. Man, soooooo true. EVERYONE ELSES cars get finished while ours are working but the is it.......have been glassing doors and kicks for about 3 monthes now. Just no time to get them done.
Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute me giving you all my extra parts.......

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (katulu @ Feb 14 2007, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wolf,
I LOVE the look of that box, I know you prob like to keep a few of your secrets, but can you give me some more specs on this enclosure, I'm guessing it's a bandpass box, but how are the ports situated? what are the subs? I was thinking of a certain bandpass design in my rex but I think I like your setup better.

Well, it's an (Isobaric Bandpass). It's like this, you take 2 subs and bolt them face to face hooking the one on the outside or top up backwards so they move the same direction. By doing this you now only need half the airspace required in your box, I then tune ported these two enclosures and fired them into a therd enclosure and tine ported it so the sound can escape into the cabin. I have 4 redline(g&s design oldschool subs) 10's in 2 .957 Qubic feet boxs with 11.5" ports fireing into a 1.5 Qubic foot enclosure with 2 6" ports aimed up and a 1" by 18" slit fireing forward with 88 watts bridged running them and hitting 134 db. The processor makes all the differance in the word on this setup.

Arent you glad you asked. dry.gif

This is a crazy setup and on paper you wouldn't think it would work out, other then the speaker box my interior look unaltered but the are 18 speakers ran by only 264 watts and the sound is amazing. As you can see from reading above it's had to put into words and make it clear exactly what is going on.

I doubt it but I hope this helps.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build