Obd1 Tuning Stuff

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

I'm probably going Z6 in my 88 for a second race car.  Most folks don't get rid of this stuff but you never know.  My daughter (Miss Rodeo Arkansas) wants to go race.  The Z6/88 HF/ and her 120# would probably beat the snot out of me..... 

The complete Z6 swap I'm picking up has a chipped ECU (P28 I think) already but I'll do I/H/E and cam so I wanna TUNE!

I'm not even sure what most of the stuff is called (ostriches and romulators? wft) but I'm learning. 

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Hey same motor in my new car.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

DC - a ROM (Random Access Memory) emulator is what the Ostrich is...on the factory ECU the Fuel/Ignition curves are stored in the ROM.  If you remove the factory ROM, replace it with a socket and plug in the Ostrich, the Ostrich has programmable memory in it, so you now have the ability with tuning software to alter the Fuel/Ignition curves.

Is there are reason you want to be OBD1?  I do all of this for the D16A1 with OBDO.

Kirk

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

gtpilot, I have a fellow dirtracker (the guy I want to beat) that has a complete swap (Z6/harness/chipped ECU) that I want to put in a second car.  I know nothing about a Z6 but I think it's vtec and OBD1....  He wanted $300 for it until he learned the HG is bad.  Probably way cheaper now.  The Z6 and a 4 speed tranny (6.40 gear in second) in my 88 HF with my 120# daughter driving, would be a pretty nasty combo.  My 86 wouldn't keep up with it anyway. 

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

the D16Z6 is a VTEC motor but if I remember right, it was only about 125HP at the crank...low VTEC crossover point and a 7,200 RPM rev limit before it started running out of power?  Doesn't sound like an overdog unless there has been work done to it?

Kirk

oops - typo corrected on upper rev limit, thanks MHR!

Edited by gtpilot, 13 August 2014 - 02:30 PM.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
7200 rpm redline, yes 125 horses stock, vtec crossover at 4500.

Ben

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

It's chipped, but other than that, I have no clue about what work has been done to it.  It would get a rebuild, I/H/E, head/block shave, and cam before I ran it.  in a 1400# car in second gear, it would be the cat's meow on the dirt track.  My 5.67 third and questionable/debatable HP (A1) is already in the money but I can't get a smaller tire to get my RPM's on up.  Maybe I would just let her run the 86 since shes 130# lighter....

I should probably just go B huh?

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip

How on earth do you plan to get the car down to 1400 pounds?

Ben

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Shouldn't be too hard really.  The 88 HF is 50# lighter than my 86 to begin with (if my research is correct) and my 86 is 1450 without me (1700# with my chubby ass).  And it has a LOT of extra bracing that I probably didn't need to do.  I tracked it last year at 1435 but did a LOT of lightening before adding the bracing and ended up just a hair heavier.  My 86 has zero inner skin. None.  Honestly, there is still close to 50# I could take out of it if which will probably happen this winter.  I'm anxious to see how much heavier (or lighter) my front end rebuild will be.  If "lightening" were scrutenized, I would be in trouble. 

From our rules:

WEIGHT RULE: There is no weight rule.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip

I think your scales are a little light honestly. I never had a car that was lighter than 1600. My second gen race car weighed 1800 without me in it. These were weighed with electronic racing scales both at home and at the track.

Ben

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

I've had it on 3 sets of scales......  Last year was my buddies Longacre's.  My bathroom scales are withing 5# of track tech.  Track tech has digital scales that we cross, even though they dont care about our weight.  The LED is on a pedistal facing the driver and I consistently cross it at 1700 to 1705 with me in it (depending on fuel).  I GUARANTEE I am over 250# :blush: with race suit and helmet......  My car is 200# lighter than the 87 that Poe's kid was driving.  That's total weight with driver and I am heavier by 50 to 60# so, just a guess, by themselves, my car is 150# lighter. 

(as i bear my soul) :unsure:

Aluminum door skins

Aluminum rear floor pan

A, B, C pillars are gutted (no heavy hinges and crap) (there was a LOT of weight here)

Hood inner bracing delete (floppy hood)

Roof  bracing delete

No rear hatch

All sheet metal above the rear inner fender gone

The sheet metal skirt under the taillights is gone. 

Upper firewall lip gone

tailpipe heat sheilds gone

no iron manifold

shaved pully

shaved flywheel

fifth gear missing

HF steelies cut about 16# by themselves....

I do still need to remove the charcoal canister bracket from the firewall though....  :lol:

If I swap the tow chains for cable I can lose 3 more pounds.

I may re-skin the roof in AL and build an AL "hood"

my undercoating is still intact also.  I was too lazy for that one

You wouldn't happen to have some OBD1 tuning stuff for sale do you?  LOL!

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

86 DX 1865 and 88 HF 1819

46# I was close.  One forum listed them both at 1819

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip

Once you strip out the options, the shells weigh the same though.You cut out more structural integrity parts of the car than I am willing to do. I definitely need to put the civic on a diet, that's for sure.

Ben

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member

I've got an OBDI ECU and an Ostrich and a chip burner that I'm ready to sell. $200 takes the whole lot.

1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Which ECU? Is it socketed?