This Weeks Run

• You cannot reply to this topic
209 replies to this topic

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
If ge can't afford a radiator then he can't afford to race. Hah

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

Have you ever seen Leonardo DeCaprio in The Grapes of Wrath?  The night he took me and Perkins out (and Nathan took him out) he called another racer to borrow money for his pit pass.....  Had to borrow a trailer to get there too.  And he took me out with one twitch of the wheel.  Now I'm pissed again

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I would be. Deal with the problem!

Ben

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Your situation really sucks. I hope it all works out okay for you.

This is exactly why I don't do wheel-to-wheel racing. Not because of normal things that happen when rubbing, but because of idiots who damage other people's cars either on purpose or due to stupidity.

That sort of thing is why I'm going to stick with NASA or SCCA.  There isn't any of this "just racin'" bullshit and anyone that pulls that kind of crap will be shown the door in short order.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
We short trackers handle our own issues. I used to autocross, the whining drove me absolutely nuts!!

Ben

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Ya, now that it's ON, and my car will never be the same, the racing is likely to be a little more lively.... :ph34r: I had 38 hours of overtime woking a homicide last week or the car would be back together for some more "just racing bullshit."  I'd like to "just race" but the bullshit will always be there, and honestly, it's probably a bigger draw than the racing.  I'll re-build accordingly and watch my fans smile when i spin him in turn 4..... :lol: its too much fun!

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

that's the best part about racing, there is something for everyone :D

Personally, I like to watch my competition spin on their own as they overdrive while trying to beat the FTD I just set :)

Edited by Andy69, 09 August 2014 - 07:14 AM.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I wish we had some road course or autoX here somewhere. There are so many 1g's for sale around here I would build another car to turn both ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what we do is the best way of racing... It's just the only way of racing that we have. But I dig the rough-and-tumble to a point. Bangin doors with a turbo eclipse in lap traffic on lap 8 is much more fun than getting whacked by a boat anchor on the opening turn. In autoX, it would be akin to someone 5 seconds slower than you taking a sledgehammer to your valve cover, so they can beat you.

I've calmed down and there is quite a bit of season left. I enjoyed building the car. Re-building will be interesting. Since a header is out of the question, I've got some ideas on a nose "re-style" that will be fun to fabricate. Gotta revive the "Left Turn Only" build. Y'all keep racin' and I'll be back!

Hey Maine, how did your "new" car debut go?

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Two day event this weekend.  Managed a 2nd place PAX on Saturday and 1st place PAX on Sunday.  2nd in Street Prepared on Saturdya (they go by raw times in figuring that and I was just barely edged out by an ASP RX-7) and first on Sunday.  Managed to beat the 400 hp XP Datsun 280 for PAX on my last run.

My instructor from last year's school (and the 2012 and 2013 DOY and STS champ) drove my car on Saturday and I beat his best time by over two seconds.  He's a darn good driver and I was sure he was going to embarrass me in my own car.  I was blown away.

I'd be in the running for DOY if I had attended more events.  Hard to justify running both the SCCA and NASA series, though, especially when I'm gone so much for work (and also given that my employer is very liberal with my schedule which enables me to make all the events)

Next Sunday is the Governor's Cup in Blytheville.  It's a popular event so there will be stiff competition, plus there are a lot of really good drivers in the Arkansas Region.  Should be fun and will give me a taste of what to expect at the Championship Tour event in September (assuming I'm in town

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip

I ended my season fourth in points for the year. Not too bad for destroying a car and building a new one during the season. I had one win, one second, and one third.

Ben

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I took the week off from work and put another sixty hours or so into rebuilding the front end. I left the RR damage from the late hit alone. Apparently, the car really liked severe camber and toe out on the RR. REALLY liked it. My RR has no weight on it until I get in the corner so it makes sense. Under power in the corner it kicks the back out and I can counter stear under power (drift) finally. I'm posting ths heat cuz I started pole in the feature and never saw another car besides lap traffic. Third trophy finish so one more and I'll get claimed. I should be second in points of 18 cars.

https://m.youtube.co...em-upload_owner

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Trackside is a little more fun to watch. I traded some more red paint with my buddy Poe in 88 that can't be seen from the GoPro.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=1L4MTJre8Ak

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Yep 2nd in points (-217) of 21 cars. 5 more weekends in the season but it depends on the claim rule.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

cool!

Yesterday was the Governor's Cup in Blytheville, put on by the Arkansas SCCA.  I won FSP by default as the only entrant, but managed a 26th PAX out of around 70 entrants.  There are some seriously fast nationally competitive drivers in that region and they all came out.  It was a learning experience for sure.  The surface at the Aeroplex is totally different than both the asphalt at MIR and the concrete at Millington.  I spent my first three runs figuring out why the car wasn't behaving right (very tail happy).  I discovered that the car likes much softer front shock settings on this particular surface.  I normally run a 3-4 on the fronts and dropped them down to a 2 and the car was much much happier.  I have no doubt with some more experience on that surface I'll be a lot faster.  I think a mid teen finish in a field like this is a reasonable expectation for me with this car.

It was over 100° ambient temperature.  Radiant temp as measured on the runway was 127°.  MF it was hot.  The 90 minute ride to and from Blytheville from Memphis was punishing.  I seriously need to start trailering if I'm going to run out of town events.  I was seriously wiped out after getting up at 5 AM, spending all day in that heat, and getting punched in the kidneys for 3 hours of drive time.  It was a blast though.  An excellent learning experience for me.  There were 8 drivers who came up from Memphis.  Our top finisher was Richard in his bad-ass XP 280z in 7th place.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

video

2nd fastest run.  I lost the last run when my iPhone overheated.