4 replies to this topic

FG!!

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 92 Turbo Legacy, Speed Triple
    • Image Gallery
I know, i know, it makes me cringe, too. rolleyes.gif

I was rear ended about two years ago by a jeep wagoneer. I was pretty low speed and it just crumpled the rear quarter panel a little. The car still tracks straight even without an alignment. The gap between the right rear quarter and the passenger door skin is almost non-existent though and I think they touch when going over bumps.

Has anybody had experience with pulling the chassis out a little? I was thinking some heavy duty come-alongs would do the trick.

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
My buddy has used come alongs to fixe a little rear end damage... I think a good come along will do the trick, but your damage sounds a little serous.... maybe some pics would help asses how bad your damage is.. mayve sure you check out the panhard for some rust or bending...

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

FG!!

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
lemme' see what i can do pics. my brother has the car right now, i have the digi-cam.

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I've used chains and big cars for a make shift chasis puller wink.gif

Basically, we chained the back of the car my 79 Olds Cutlass, then chained the bent front corner my neighbor's mom's big Olds Delta 88 Station wagon and pulled the car straighter. Ok, so the car being fixed was a Pinto, but it did work. The tricky part is keeping from tearing the metal as you pull on it. Ideally, you should heat the creased areas with a torch to soften them so it pulls where you want it to .

All that being said, you have to be really cheap to want to try this. Most body shops with a frame machine would do a simple pull like that for about $150. It's not worth the risk to do it yourself (unless the $150 would total the car - as was the case with the Pinto. Hell, running out of gas in that thing nearly totaled it.)

-Chris

FG!!

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i guess $150 wouldn't be that bad. the car was totalled by this accident. to repair it perfect, it would've cost $1700. thanks.