• You cannot reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Exactly 2 years ago I bought a very clean 1990 Prelude 2.0Si for my son to drive. Now before you start ragging on me for buying a car for my kid when he should go out and earn his own money to get a car, consider that I am a single parent and I need him to drive a reliable car to trasnport his younger sister when I am working. And public transport in Los Angeles is not adequate.

My son is a safe driver (safer than I was at his age) and I have invested in defensive driving and perfromance driving courses (including time on The Streets of Willow race track) for him. But even a safe driver can have a lapse of judgement. He pulled away from the curb without double checking his 6 o'clock and he collected a fairly new Volvo's right front fender with the Prelude's left front fender.

I was not at the accident scene, so I have to rely upon accounts from witnesses. I heard that the Volvo's airbags eployed, which in turn cracked the windshield. Apparently this is the way Volvos are designed... and that confirms my doubts about Volvo engineering.

The Prelude came home on a hook, the front wheels where pointed in different directions. I put it up in the air and determined that nothing was broken, but the left front suspension's pick up points had been rearranged about 10 degrees to the right of where the factory had left them. Hopeful thinking is a strong emotion, "Perhaps a cheap front end allignment will get the front tires pointed in the same realtive direction." Sadly, the allignment shop would not even put it on the rack with the frame damage.

The cost of repairing the frame is equal to, if not greater than, the value of the resulting car and so I am going to have it hauled away by a "cash for cars" kind of guy at the end of the week. I have stripped the radio, sunroof deflector and three point racing-style harnesses out of the car. I wish I had a cheapo set of steel wheels to put on it so that I could salvage the decent wheels and nearly new tires.

I now need to identify and purchase another car for him to drive (I know, I know. Why reward his mistake with another car? Because I need another driver in the family) while working 6 days a week and pack my home for moving. Of all the problems in the world, these should be my very worst problems. But it is still a hassle.

The next car will certianly not be as intersting as the Prelude. Four doors and an automatic will treach him to appreciate what he once had. And maybe focus his attention on other cars when pulling away from a curb.

Scott

PS- if anyone has a line on a clean, decent car for less than $3,000 in the LA area please let me know.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

blu84rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 CRX
    Garage View Garage
Well Glad to hear no one was hurt, Always good. I can't help with the car but I would say that I you wish to keep the wheels and tires then just goto the local pick-N-pull and get a real cheep set to swap out.
Conceal nothing... And watch the fools search forever!

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ouch, that sucks Scott. Glad your son's ok. Get him an old fart-mobile, that'll teach 'em wink.gif

Volvo engineering? Remember, deep down, it's got a Blue Oval running the show (like I'm one to talk)

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
sucks for your insurance ouch

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
NO WAY!!!!!

that prelude was sexy as hell (CLEEEEEAN)

so i guess we wont be seeing it at the autozone meet

sad.gif

i'm glad he's OK though, he seems like a really good kid....and now we have yet ANOTHER reason to give him shit for and not EVER let him drive the CRX!
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
WOW, Good thing he is Ok. I had a similar accident also when I was the same age .I didnt check my 6 when I puled out and BAM I was hit..

Just do some craigslist searching You will find some good deals..

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Get him an early 90s, automatic, Nissan Sentra. They are a dime a dozen, about the plainest looking car around, drive fairly well, decent on gas, but are slow as all hell to accelerate. XD I got one for basically free and am driving it while my Rex is on the stands.

(not mine, mine's in worse shape)

Edited by EuphoricBlue, 31 March 2007 - 04:01 PM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
$3000 will get you an EG (92-95) hatch. smile.gif

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Mar 31 2007, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$3000 will get you an EG (92-95) hatch. smile.gif

1GRPhotography
MySpace

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Id say find him something mid 80's and Domestic but then its not gona be reliable. Sadly if you gota have a reliable car your gona have to get a Import, Id try to find him a early 90's Toyota or Nissan, a Camery/Corolla/Sentra/Maxima. Something big and Autotragic.
Posted Image

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Scott, I don't know If you are brand particular to the "H" logo, But Nissan offers a good variety of cars which fit your descrption

Take for instance the 95-98 nissan 200sx, you may have seen on the autocross/scca, great chassis, great engine, regardless If it is the 1.6 or 2.0 awesome gas mileage and sporty..

OR the also forgotten but nicely equipped INFINITI G20 91-97 with the well known sr20 powerplant 4 doors, well built gas saver.. and often for sale by elderly people with extremely low mileage..

or there is always the 90-94 honda accords

all of these selections can be had at $3000 or under..

GOOD LUCK AUTO HUNTING..

http://losangeles.cr.../303792193.html

Edited by etmydst, 31 March 2007 - 04:52 PM.

JDN14

Another vote for the Toyota Corolla/Geo Prism.

Glad to hear everyone's OK though.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
http://losangeles.cr.../303848946.html
1GRPhotography
MySpace

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip