Making Final Decision

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Which swap should I go for

Which swap should I go for

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

down4ce

Shortly after X-mas I'm going to purchase the engine. I've been flip flopping with all the swaps but now it's definitely down to the these 3. I like the around town torque of the b18 and it's instant acceleration at high speeds, after seeing crxls in action I was hooked. As for the b16 though I'm not sure because I've never seen one in action. Think a b16 would give better 1/4 mile results? I can get one for $1500 engine+tranny+ecu. I also can't seem to find the difference between the two b18's huh.gif Thanks a million, Tom

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
If it were me Id do a b16.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i sa 18a to be diff then others.

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    Garage View Garage
b18...... more power....
I have nothing...

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
B16, but I'm biased.
twitter: @lylehatton

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
B18A and B18B are almost exactly the same. 1.8l nonVTEC.

The question you want to ask yourself is how much you have to spend on the project (as I'll wager the B18A/B is cheaper than the B16), and if you want a high revver with VTEC or if you just want the extra displacement and down low torque.

down4ce

a little torque never hurt anyone tongue.gif and there's no replacement for displacement laugh.gif I wish there was a nice package for the b18 as there is for the b16 I guess I'll have to hunt down each component or get a donor teg(94-01)right?
Tom

Edited by down4ce, 13 December 2004 - 01:49 AM.

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i said b16.

or you can buy something and drop a 4g63 in it. ph34r.gif

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I'd say do the LS Vtec. You can start with a B18 swap. A or B, it doesn't matter, but B gives you a little more power, so if you can get one, get the B. The B18 are just so much easier to find parts for with so many Integras in the yards and not many del sol's with V-tech.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

C8V6C

IMO....

B16A because it is going to save you a good amount of money, and be the easiest to swap.........and will be decently fast, and should keep you happy for a short few months

With the money you save, put some money into another bottom end....maybe some cams and other bolt ons.....and then you will be a good amount of fast.....for a lil less than if you started out with something special

And you can also build it while you are driving your car........instead of your car chilling and waiting for the new motor

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
The B18A/B are pretty close to each other.. There isn't much of an increase of power between the different years (1990-2001).. The power ranges from 130hp for the early B18A's to about 140hp for the later B18B's.. The torque went from 121lbs-ft - 126lbs-ft over the run..

I say go with the B16A1.. There are tons and tons of parts for them and it is a nice revving motor (I like to rev tongue.gif).. I figure with the low weight of the CRX the torque isn't so bad.. You can build a nice B16A with stock Honda parts like all the Type R stuff.. You could easily build a B16A up to the same level as a B16B (Civic Type R 185hp and 117lbs-ft) and still have the Honda reliability.. The B16 has about 112lbs-ft torque which is about the same as a D16A1.. I drive fine on the street with my D16A1.. A decent compromise at least to me..

For all out racing I would then go up to the B18C if I were to use the B-series.. More power and torque and tons of parts..

As far as the whole Ls Vtec thing, check out this thread: Pro's ad Con's of the LS Vtec.. It is a pretty nice explanation about it.. smile.gif My .02 cents.. Good luck with any swap you do.. cool.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

EC rider

• I am rexman
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I'd like to cast my vote on the F22/H22/Turbo swap,

but hey that's just my opinion! heheh

smashfascism

• TURBO ZC!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Turbo ZC, 1997 GMC Jimmy, 1991 Chevy pickup, 1989 Prelude SI, 1991 CRX HF, 1980 Chevy Stake bed (Bogger)
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Dec 13 2004, 10:38 AM)
I'd say do the LS Vtec.  You can start with a B18 swap.  A or B, it doesn't matter, but B gives you a little more power, so if you can get one, get the B.  The B18 are just so much easier to find parts for with so many Integras in the yards and not many del sol's with V-tech.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B16a!!!!!!!!!!!!! like everyone has said, the B18b and A are almost twins, Iv a block of each, and They are identical... I even mic'd the cylendar walls. not to mention if you wre gonna go B18 the Ls B18a is soo much easier to get, and cheaper too. I just bought another B18B block and got F**ked, outer and inner sleves are cracked.....watch out for ebay seller "hondaandacuraparts" He wont reply to my emails, I sent like 10.
WTB- Turbo Parts: Turbo, Wastegate, FMIC, BOV

FS- Crx and Integra parts, lots of stuff just ask.

down4ce

Wow thanks for all the help guys the b16 seems to be taking the lead and seemed at first to me the easiest swap, I can get the components that I need instantly and I can use the magazine article on putting the b16 in a 1g. Only thing holding me back now is the torque factor, the b16 i can get has 160 hp biggrin.gif but like hollowman said 112lbs-ft torque and 117 @ 185hp? Damn that seems low to me, I need all the torque I can get. Where I live its all hills and I want to have the paar at my fingertips when cruising at higher speeds. What do you think? Remember, I am the young padawan learner around here tongue.gif

Edited by down4ce, 15 December 2004 - 12:29 AM.

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
I still say go with the B16.. The lower torque numbers shouldn't scare you too much.. Remember the CRX is very light.. Much lighter than the engine the B16 came out of (remeber the 2000 Civic Si - A pig of a car has one).. Unless you live in an area like San Francisco (super hilly) you won't have a problem IMHO.. If you are really worried about torque save some more cash and get a B18C.. I'm not too big of a fan of the LSVtec.. It's a cheap alternative to the B18C without the benefits of the B18C.. smile.gif

My .02 cents..
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image