B16 Racecar

• You cannot reply to this topic
106 replies to this topic

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I am going to start this thread to keep everyone up to date on my B16 racecar swap.

Currently I have a B16a2 on reserve for me. I have the Cable clutch tranny from a b18 2nd gen Acura. Hasport Mounts and axles are being shipped at the end on the month. I am going to be using Megasquirt computer.

Things I need to find still:

Good header- not sure what one?
ACT Prolite Flywheel and race clutch
N1 crank pulley
Cams
1st gen Acura hubs
Limited slip , OBX or QUAFFE? not sure yet?
B&M pressure regulator
adapter for my oil cooler to hook into

I am looking to get 150hp to the ground at around 7000rpm

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Nice buildup you got planned there. It is very, very easy to obtain 150 whp @ 7k out of a b16. With very mild mods, out of mainly OEM parts you can far surpass 150 whp.

Good luck and keep us posted biggrin.gif
SportInjectedClub

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I just purchased a OBX Limited Slip , Fidanza Aluminium flywheel , and a JUN 4-1 Header. Hasport said they will ship my mounts and Axles at the end on the month.

This engine will need to breath throught a 24mm Intake restrictor as per SCCA GTLite rules and thats why Im not sure about the power.
I need to find a Cam that gives the best low Torque Numbers.

Doodson

shauno

24mm! that's rediculous.
It sounds like the days I worked with with sae guys from ubc doing their 600cc streetbike powered autocrosser. Their restrictor was much smaller though but definately hindered the engines output.
BTW, you mean cams right?
Time to kick some ricer butt!

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Be careful with that header. I had a JDM 4-1 ITR header with a 2.5" collector on my b16 in my EF hatch.....my car isn't even lowered and the header was about 2" (maybe less) off the ground.

As far as cams go....you may want to check with Skunk2. From what I understand thier Stage 2's are widely used among track racers (not 1/4 mile guys)

Another thin you may want to check out :

http://www.intertune.tv/

Great video.....a bit costly, but great non the less. It follows the buildup of 200 whp n/a b16. Gives you step by step, as well as info on parts used.

Edited by eastsiderider, 26 May 2006 - 06:06 AM.

SportInjectedClub

projEKtjokes

• Wanna see some mexican magic. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Nissan S12 Silvia, 97 EK hatch and coupe, 90 Mitsu Mighty Max, 87 Si Hatch
Well if your lookin for a good header that never has to be replaced and has good clearance you should look at the new DTR header for b series. Just my $.02 I dont know what kind of budget your on though.

Edited by projEKtjokes, 26 May 2006 - 08:51 AM.

user posted image

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Doodson @ May 20 2006, 11:01 PM)
...on my B16 racecar swap.

blush.gif Please pardon what may be a "stoopid" question: Is the racecar a CRX or 3g civvy?

Your swap sound great. I'll be following your build w/great interest: after the 'box build is done, I'll probably do a B18C swap in a 1g or 3g car.

Cheers!

Edited by kakabox, 26 May 2006 - 10:16 AM.

shauno

What will you be using for fuel and ignition?
I am about to look for a system to run in my hatch to control the b series as well.
Time to kick some ricer butt!

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (shauno @ May 26 2006, 12:02 PM)
What will you be using for fuel and ignition?
I am about to look for a system to run in my hatch to control the b series as well.

The car is a CIVIC 85

The ingnition will be Megasquirt system , I already have one and there is a local guy who will updaate it to work on the B series

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just bought a N1 CTR underdrive pulley for $72 shipped to me. This pulley is a factory light weight pulley with no A/C part.

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Good deal, thats a great pulley. It eliminates the A/C and the powersteering.........not like the ea's had powersteering anyways lol. It provides great clearance non-the-less though.
SportInjectedClub

C8V6C

Id still balance it....i had to take a tiny bit of weight off mine to make it perfect. But it does make everything easy huh?

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

CSPCRX

4-1 is going to cause some real ground clearance issues. My 4-2-1 DC sports has made contact a few times. If your looking for the best low end then why would you go with a 4-1 header. Thats a drag header 4-2-1 is a better all around header. Loose a little on top but not an issue for a road race car. As far as cams. I have the skunk2 stage2s and yes they are a great cam. But trying to do this through a 24mm restrictor? My stock B16A with cool air intake, DC 4-2-1, 2.5in exhaust and dynomax muffler, with Zdyne single wire ECU and Fields VAFC made 150hp to the wheels. Thats a bone stock motor with a few bolt ones. Save your money on the cams if 150 is all you want to the ground you can do that stock.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would like the cams to work in the lower RPM range and help with more Torque. I may need something custom made.

Doodson

CSPCRX

Torque is really flat on these motors. There are a lot of cames out there haveing some made may not be needed. You could go with ITR or CTR cames they are oem honda but have a bit more agressive lift and duration. This would be an easy way to go and get all around performance out of the motor.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily