Matt's Crx Tidy Up

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '84 CRX Ballade Sports, '86 Civic Si, '93 Crx SiR Turbo, '79 Civic Turbo Racecar, '79 Civic, '78 Civic.
As I bought it

As it is now:

Quick history
Car came into NZ in 1993, its a 1.5i, was originally auto, and two tone navy blue over black.
Now its metallic "Azure Deluxe" Blue and manual. Factory Ballade Sport, with sunroof and digital dash. Has only travelled 140,000kms, and has been pretty well looked after

Mods done so far:
Brake lines replaced
Firewall rust cut out and patches welded in.
Sunroof/Tail light rust repaired.
Neuspeed Race springs fitted
Awful NZDM 80's aftermarket wheels replaced with some 15x7 Rotas
NZDM "Wildcat" Honda steering wheel fitted.

Plans for the future:
Interior:
- Fit Complete black F/L interior
- 2G Crx front seats
- New rear carpet
- DOHC Sports matts (Nicked from my AT)
- Swap sunroof drain tubes for longer 3G prelude ones

Engine/Drivetrain
- Browntop ZC from an AT Civic to go in next week biggrin.gif
- Replace clutch/release bearing at the same time
- 4-1 Kamakazi headers
- Kellford cams/cam gears

Suspension
- Mugen front struts with Munroe rears (Temporary)
- Koni Yellow adjustables all round (Need to be rebuilt first)
- 2WD Shuttle Front swaybar
- 4WD Shuttle Torsion bars
- Adjustable panhard bar (Maybe a RPR one? will get to it later down the line)
- Energy Suspension Bush kit.

Brakes
- 1G Integra front hubs
- 3G Accord Si Twin piston callipers
- Bendix Ultimate
- EF Crx 15/16 Brake booster/MC
- 1G Integra GSi Rotors

Most of the work will be happening over the next month or so, engine swap is lined up for this coming weekend, will do some of the suspension and brake mods at the same time.

Open to any comments or suggestions!
Cheers
Matt
smile.gif
After genuine old school JDM Parts ? Pm me :) We specialize in exporting quality, and rare parts for Old School Hondas.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Nice Lambo in the background!!! Oh ya nice new project to. wink.gif

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
car looks bomb!

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
What are the original turbine wheels you had on there? I love those. Cool looking CR-X!

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

Vicious

i love the first set of rims cool.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Yeah, dude, was going to say the same thing: NZDM after market rims were BOMB on that thing. I would put those puppies back on in a heart beat!

Great project ideas. Best of luck with everything. I'll be following this one!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '84 CRX Ballade Sports, '86 Civic Si, '93 Crx SiR Turbo, '79 Civic Turbo Racecar, '79 Civic, '78 Civic.
Cheers guys

Got the 21mm Shuttle torsion bars today, guy at the wreckers mushroomed the end of one though, so will have to repair that before I can fit them. Also picked up some '88 Crx seats, waterblasted them, will leave them out in the sun tomorrow to dry, then trail fit them.

Original rims are now on my 3G Civic Si biggrin.gif
After genuine old school JDM Parts ? Pm me :) We specialize in exporting quality, and rare parts for Old School Hondas.

Interceptor

• Check your rearview if I'm not behind !
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '84 Honda CRX - '72 Datsun S30Z - '89 Austin Mini
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Nice looking little 1G =)

I thought it was a Vector in the background

WTB Blue CRX interior parts & Dashboard

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Interceptor @ Nov 16 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice looking little 1G =)

I thought it was a Vector in the background

Thanks, sorry its a Diablo wink.gif

Edited by civic_zr, 16 November 2009 - 07:50 AM.

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Massive progress over the weekend. Major fail was forgetting the flash card for my camera, so no pictures as of yet. But fitted this weekend....

- Motor - Browntop ZC from an AT Civic
Lowish kms one from Palmerston North, they had matt blacked everything under the bonnet with a spray can. Although luckily the motor appears to have been looked after prior to their ownership as it doesn't smoke, and has strong compression across all 4 cylinders. The hubs and drivershafts were taken from a 1G Integra. Some of the loom plugged straight up, the rest Aaron managed to match up in about 45 minutes flat. Also took the chance to replace the oil cooler pipes on the back of the block, as they were dried out and brittle, and a real bastard to get at once the motor is in the car.

- Clutch - My plan was to replace this along with the pressure plate and release bearing, but there was a pretty new looking exedy one on there, with a pretty good looking pressure plate, so just left it as is, this was a good call as the clutch bites hard, just needs adjustment

- Exhaust - Was planning to fit my Kamikaze 4-1 headers, but that would mean a whole new exhaust, which we weren't able to do over the weekend. So had to go with some mongrel AV Integra carby ones, they are still a cast item, but 4-1 rather than the stock 4-2-1. Used them as they bolted *almost straight up* to the existing system. Which somehow is now further back against the body and is rattling. Also de-catted her (Grabbed a bar and beat the precious metals out)

- Gearbox - This was the first issue of the build. We were about to drop the motor/box assembly in when we found a hole in the gearbox housing. Suspect that it was from a busted cv, so we had to swap gearboxes. Got it all in on Saturday morning, dust-shield and engine in about and hour. Turns out the new box has a stuffed 3rd syncro, so it has to come back out anyway. Also found the shifter linkages from the EW motor are too long, so the gear leaver sits almost horizontal against the center console in 2nd/4th gear. This would be awesome if you were a yeti and wanted to drive from the backseat, but not so good for me.

- Suspension -Scored some super rare Mugen front struts, they made a total world of difference to the car, the old ones were completely stuffed after almost 25 years of being in there. Didn't get a chance to fit them, but also picked up some aftermarket slightly uprated Munroe's for the rear, ones a bit tired, but I'm positive they are better than standard. This is my temporary setup while I wait to pick up, and gullllp fork out for a rebuild on my Koni Yellow's I scored from Tim (The Lorax). I've also got some bigger 4WD Honda Shuttle torsion bars to go in, but one end needs to be machined first as it mushroomed when they were removed by brute force.

-Brakes-
The near useless EW5 brakes were ditched in favour of some nice 240mm discs from a GSi Integra (Cheers Damian for the hook up), Calipers were replaced with CA3 Accord Si twin piston ones, and bendix brake pads, some uprated dot 4 brake fluid, an EF7 Booster, and 15/16 Master Cylinder. These stop amazing well compared to stock.

And that's about it for my weekend. Left Auckland at 6:45 am on Friday for New Plymouth. Had the conversion all finished up on Saturday evening around 7-8ish. Drove home today.

Cheers to Aaron (AccordB20A), Alex (3rdGenCivic), Uzie (sp?), Daniel, Keiran and the family for letting us crash there and anyone else who helped along the way.

Update Wednesday 12.25.2009
Got a few new cools bits today... Some 2G Crx bucket seats, these are a straight swap onto my existing rails. I'm dropping the drivers one off at the upholsterers tomorrow, as the cover is absolutely shot, luckily I found a 2nd tidy passengers seat, so it will be playing donner for the drivers one. Will put up some pictures of before and after. Also contemplating changing my cluster from the electronic one, to an equally rare NZDM Si sedan cluster - It has a similar red line, but goes to 220kph, this should be a straight swap, but I'm undecided if I'm going to do it or not... In other news also found a much nicer rocker and cambelt cover I plan to put on asap. (Along with an intake arm when I find one)

Can't stand the Matt black paint on everything, will be cleaning/replacing everything as fast as I can

Old busted gearbox + blue paint from the boot =(

New brakes =)

Also got these in the weekend, will go nicely with my new black interior!

Also got this, which I'm not sure if I want to use or not, it's a pretty cool, old school japanese air refiner

NZDM Si Civic Sedan Cluster (This car also has electric windows, and a different tail light garnish if any 4 door Civic owners are interested)

Edited by civic_zr, 24 November 2009 - 06:28 AM.

Wozza

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: b18C '85 Rex, '97 Stock(ish) 1.6 D-Series EK
Comming along well man, think I commented over at NZH a while ago. But NZ Represent on Red Pepper smile.gif

Will have to look you up next time I'm in auckl and get some pics of it, who knows might even take mine for a roadtrip sometime when its back on the road.

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Wozza @ Dec 4 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comming along well man, think I commented over at NZH a while ago. But NZ Represent on Red Pepper smile.gif

Will have to look you up next time I'm in auckl and get some pics of it, who knows might even take mine for a roadtrip sometime when its back on the road.

Cheers mate, would be good to see yours up here again! *Wish I had bought when I could have*

NZ RPR Rep biggrin.gif

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Interior Update

Before

After

I'm going to give them a good vacuum/wash asap. But for the moment I'm pretty happy, nice new seats for under $120, plus they will look fully OEM with my black Si dash/door panels/carpet (* Can't wait to get the black interior in, the awful metallic blue centre console sticks out even more now*)

My AT biggrin.gif

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Small update, including some new toys biggrin.gif

Picked these up the other day, Mugen copy cams done by a NZ company CSL + some Skunkworks (The orginal Skunk2) ZC camgears. Sadly the camgears are the smaller kind designed for the Blacktop ZC, although I have also picked up a blacktop crank gear, so I will fit these together at some stage.

Decided against using the Kamakazi headers, as the massive primaries are much more suited to a super high HP or SC engine. Will keep them on the shelf just in-case I build a crazy HP ZC in the future. In the mean time I've picked up some Jasma 4-2-1 D series headers, will put up more info when I have it, scored the supercheap locally biggrin.gif

I also got a spare motor cheap too! Been my lucky month for Crx parts! Engine is the 2G ZC from the Facelift 1G Integra. Not sure about my plans for it yet, its only done 180kms on an auto gearbox, so for the price of it scrap metal value, I coudln't say no!!!

Heading down country for Christmas with the family, after that going to pick up my black interior from The Lorax (Tim)'s Si Parts car. Can't wait to get rid of some of my interior panels which have been painted metallic blue by the previous owner to match the exterior wacko.gif

86hamstersi

• Get a job loser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 yamaha qt50, 2007 civic si sedan(wife's)
    Garage View Garage
please pm me with pics and price of the si sedan parts. thanks
A grown up living with their parents is a loser.