Help Bypassing Charcoal Canister

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

mycotopian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
I just got a call from the shop telling me my new carb is installed and ready to go but the car is flooding because it has a bad charcoal canister. I really don't want to sell out more cash so can I just reroute the lines going into the canister and bypass it? If so what needs to be routed where and what needs to be capped off. Thanks guys

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Cap the vacuum line's running to the motor/carb, and put a long piece of tubing on the tank vent on the firewall and tuck it down the firewall into the subframe. And just ditch the canister.
Posted Image

mycotopian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Jul 3 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cap the vacuum line's running to the motor/carb, and put a long piece of tubing on the tank vent on the firewall and tuck it down the firewall into the subframe. And just ditch the canister.

Done! Thanks for the info.

Do these things always sound like they are detting when they are cold?

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
O_o, My question is... how does a bad canister cause a carb to flood?
The breather is at the top of the tank so it's not sucking fuel direct from the tank.
I think the canister itself is designed to be emptied by drawing the fuel up out of the canister by atomizing it off the charcoal and into the air being drawn in by the carb.
Are you sure it's not just that you had effectively had a vacuum leak due to a failed vacuum valve that controls when carb can draw from the canister?

Or am I confusing how the canister works?

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Almost all of the charcoal canisters are saturated with fuel by now. Just part of the age.
Posted Image

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Jul 4 2008, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does a bad canister cause a carb to flood?
Or am I confusing how the canister works?

I believe his carb was flooding. That is why he just put on a new carb. This is why I believe his canister is full of gas not the other way around.
I think you have the right idea how the canister works.
Jeff

mycotopian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Jul 4 2008, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe his carb was flooding. That is why he just put on a new carb. This is why I believe his canister is full of gas not the other way around.
Jeff

That is correct. More than likely the carb was the primary culprit.

DarkHand

I would doubt that it's the canister too. Nothing against the guys that worked on your car, but mechanics that really know what they're doing on a carbureted car are a dying breed. biggrin.gif
DarkHand

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Jul 4 2008, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeff

Ah, ok. Thank you, that makes a bit more sense.

If this is the case I'd recommend not discarding the canister. If your area has smog, it's an offence. Even if it doesn't it's still nice to be friendly to the environment tongue.gif.

My advice would be to just make sure the vacuum valve mechanism is functioning properly, hook it back up, and just go for a good long cruise out of town down the highway (steady 60-70mph is what we are after here) to empty out any excessive fuel buildup in the charcoal canister.