• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
my #1 spark plug is frozen. I can pull the other 3 plugs fine but this one turned 1/4 turn then stopped. The car was cold when doing this, would it help to have it warmed up. Ive had them out before and I know Ive never cross threaded one. When the header was off the other day I noticed that cyclinder's header tube was a different color than the rest so I wanted to pull the plug to see what it looked like and then this happened. Any ideas how to safetly pull it without damage?

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
If you are positive it has not been cross threated I would pour some WD40 on it and warm up the car. Get a thread chaser for spark plugs from the parts store... its only about 10 bucks and worth having in case of emergencies and the warm up the car and pull it. Thats what I would do... but always get the tool to fix it before hand in case the problem does arise.

BGPKR

• Honda Driver
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 00 CRV AWD 5 SPD , 85 AE86 (Project)
WD40 wont't do shit other than make a mess. Get some PG blaster, that will penetrate the threads. Then buy a spark plug chaser. They sell them at Advance Auto Parts for around $7. Let the PB blaster soak in for 5-10 minutes. And it wouldn't hurt if the motor was a little warm. If there is any problems reinstalling the plug, use the chaser.

Edited by BGPKR, 20 December 2007 - 02:30 PM.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
+1 for PB blaster, chase it with the chaser aka tap.
soak it thoroughly several times over the course of 10 minutes and let it set for longer if you are patient and want to reduce the chance of tearing up the threads.
this is a minor issue but enough of an excuse for me to pull the head and modify or replace... I look for any excuse really smile.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
^^+1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
I would also put Bostik Never-Seez (anti seez) on the threads before puting the plugs back in an aluminum head.
Jeff

Edited by 1985 CRX SI, 20 December 2007 - 11:39 PM.

DarkHand

Anti-seize is a good idea too. I just put some motor oil on the threads and I'm fine.
DarkHand

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
got it fixed- warmed her up, pb blaster 10- 15 minutes. It was hard to come out all the way. 1 new spark plug , 14 mm spark plug thread chaser and some time. the threads cleaned right back up. Then I put some antiseized on it and she went back in smooth. Then to be safe, I pulled the other three and chased those holes and antiseized those plugs. what a relief. Thanks for the replies everyone.

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Honestly, sence we all have aluminum heads, and our plugs are steel, everyone should use a dab of anti-seiz just to prevent this exact situation. The reason this happens is due to the two diffrent metals that expand ans contract at diffrent temps. Anti-seize counter acts this issue.

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
I never had a problem with my plugs sticking
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN