←  Off-Topic

Red Pepper Racing

»

Imo: Facebook Sucks And It's A Crappy...

zakats's Photo zakats 14 Oct 2018

Strictly from a format point of view, it's junk for a car club and related activities/information. 

I've not owned a 1/3g in the last ~4-5 years so I've not been very active but I'll never not be a pepper and I'd like to maintain the community for the long-lasting institution that's been built.

Facebook is disposable, superficial, and generally ill-suited for the retention and useful organization of specialized information pertaining to 1/3g's and the community that came up around it. I'm not getting into any of the political/polarizing social issues on the subject here, fb is just a shit format in general.

No, I'm not suggesting that everyone abandon the fb group; I'm just advocating for people to treat it as a supplement or a phoph gallery exchange rather than the main avenue for rpr content as it seems to be lately.

gtpilot's Photo gtpilot 16 Oct 2018

I don't face plant, so I have no knowledge of the site...this is home...

GeezRX's Photo GeezRX 16 Oct 2018

/\ /\ /\ /\

Amen to what he said!!

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's's Photo greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's 17 Oct 2018

sup zack!

welcome back to texas! bp told me last week.

i’ve never done fb, i have no opinion

zakats's Photo zakats 17 Oct 2018

Thanks, it feels... like traffic ;)

PuddleSkipper's Photo PuddleSkipper 17 Oct 2018

I agree, facebook sucks, it's not a place to store knowlege

Sinub's Photo Sinub 29 Oct 2018

I use both. Only reason I like Facebook is because there's more of an immediate response since mostly everyone is there now. Not so great for looking up information, but can be helpful. I prefer the forum for information and write-up's. I do wish the site loaded faster and was a bit smoother. 

RARECRX's Photo RARECRX 05 Nov 2018

Facebook I have. All that instagram and snap stuff I have no knowledge. Seems " faster and easier" has taken over forums. I still drop in here time to time.

thebigsleaze's Photo thebigsleaze 08 Nov 2018

I tried to find redpepper racing on Facebook, didn't happen.

It also didn't hurt my feelings much because I really loathe Facebook. I used to use it more, but most of the the people I know, used to know, and others have so much stupid $%&+ to say that about the only thing I keep it around for are the classifieds.

The worst thing you can do to yourself is post something for sale on the classifieds. Dumb, repetitive questions you already answered in the original ad that f'book people can't be bothered to both read and comprehend. Fools.

Social media on the whole is a bit of a conundrum. I personally don't give a rat's arse if random people "like" what I do, or "follow" the stupid $%&+ I feel the need to say online, such as this post.

It has the power to connect people almost instantaneously in times of need or a disaster situation, however it also has the ability to enable so very much hate and ignorance to be directed as through a magnifying glass at the vulnerable (your or my kids, etc.).

Real forums are where the good stuff is.

Facebook is good for extremely fleeting information, boobs, and fake news. There are better sources for all 3.

$.02

rpr's Photo rpr 10 Nov 2018

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but see my post in the News section: http://www.redpepper...showtopic=59369

Having said that, I do have a Sub-Reddit (that I'd prefer to use, myself) here: https://www.reddit.c...erracingdotcom/

I just realized you own https://www.reddit.c...redpepperracingwhich I'd prefer...

zakats's Photo zakats 12 Nov 2018

I hadn't realized you made a sub but yours has... what's that stuff called? Ah yes, 'effort.' looks good.

If you'd like to merge subs, or do anything else you'd like, you're welcome to do with it what you will; I see it as being an extension of the rpr brand that you own.

I think there might be a way to forward traffic from one sub to another. Either way, it seems best to consolidate under one banner if having a subreddit backup is a goal.

How are you planning to host next time around? I always wonder about setting up a homebrew server setup if I ever got another swing at a proper gigabit ISP. Good, fast hardware is getting cheap.

rpr's Photo rpr 13 Nov 2018

I have the horsepower and speed to host it at home, but it's against the T&C of my ISP (who I work for) so I'd rather not go down that road. I am going to start with looking at AWS or GCP, if that doesn't look promising I'll probably go back to a virtual host, just at a cheaper rate than the current one.

As for the subreddit, I've updated the theme a bit so it's a little more eye pleasing, but I haven't added any content. I don't want to put too much effort into it as it should be temporary, although for the reddit die-hards (like myself) it may pick up some steam.

zakats's Photo zakats 13 Nov 2018

I've also been engrossed by Reddit's influence over the past few years.

Sinub's Photo Sinub 13 Nov 2018

I just signed up to to reddit. I didn't have an account before, and I subscribed to rpr's thread/forum/ whatever it's called. 

zakats's Photo zakats 13 Nov 2018

One of us! One of us!