Jdm zc swap, questions... (confusion)

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

Red87CRXsi

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
Well, I have been posting on the CRX resource (resource.crx.org) for quite some time, but sometimes I can't find the right info on there.  It's good to see a 1st gen specific site up and runnin.

Anyway, to the point.  I am very interested in doing a ZC swap.  Now, right from the start I am confused, but I think I am getting it a little bit better after hours of research.  I am mostly concerned with making sure I 1) get the corret engine code when I go to order the engine and 2) that I understand what parts I will need to swap with the engine.  Here's what I understand so far... please correct and add if you can.

I am interested in the true JDM spec ZC, offered in the 85-87 Civics I believe.  This engine produces 135hp.  First off, I need to know where I can get such an engine and if they are hard to find.  Does the US spec Integra ZC also make 135 hp?  If so, i that generally a better swap to do?  I am new to this, shoot me in the right direction!!

Secondly, from what I've read I know I need to change a few things to get it to work with everything else.

Mounting:  I will need to obtain new mounts, excpet the drivers side mount (stock will work).  these mounts can also come out of the Integra?

Drivetrain:  I will need to get an 85-87 Integra transmission, and the mounts for this transmission. (see.. I am confused already, cause the engine came out of Civics and I need an Integra transmission.

I will need to replace the clutch to handle the power of course.  Do I find a clutch that would fit an 85-87 Integra then?

The axles will need to be replaced with 85-87 Integra axles as well, correct?  Something else with the axles too, I will need to replace?

Computer related:  I can use my stock 87si ECU, but would be better off obtaining an Integra ECU.

More:  Also, I am interested in rebuilding the engine before I do the swap.  If I get the JDM spec, am I going to be able to find the parts necessary (gaskets, internals, new bolts if needed) easily?  Are these parts the same that came with the U.S. spec Integra?

Most of my questions revolve around the fact that if I am getting the JDM spec ZC, do I have to get JDM spec parts too, or is the engine similar enough to the US spec Integra motor.. that I can use those parts?  I know I sound confused.. and I am... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Kirk

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Hey welcome to the board!  The ZC swap is your best bet, alot of guys have that done on this forum.  First off, the ZC comes from the 1G integras, not the civic.  Lucky for us it totally fits, and hauls ass!  There is a FAQ section that lists parts necessary for your swap, check it out!

Good luck,
JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Red87CRXsi @ June 24 2002,00:13)
Well, I have been posting on the CRX resource (resource.crx.org) for quite some time, but sometimes I can't find the right info on there.  It's good to see a 1st gen specific site up and runnin.

Welcome. Unfortunately it's hard to get word out about the site because if I even breathe mention of it on the resource, Steve deletes my post.
Anyway, to the point.  I am very interested in doing a ZC swap.  Now, right from the start I am confused, but I think I am getting it a little bit better after hours of research.  I am mostly concerned with making sure I 1) get the corret engine code when I go to order the engine and 2) that I understand what parts I will need to swap with the engine.  Here's what I understand so far... please correct and add if you can.

I am interested in the true JDM spec ZC, offered in the 85-87 Civics I believe.  This engine produces 135hp.  First off, I need to know where I can get such an engine and if they are hard to find.  Does the US spec Integra ZC also make 135 hp?  If so, i that generally a better swap to do?  I am new to this, shoot me in the right direction!!

The US ZC, called the D16A1, makes about 113 hp in the brown top, 118 in the black top. It may be easier to find a US motor, but they aren't as powerful as the JDM.
Secondly, from what I've read I know I need to change a few things to get it to work with everything else.

Mounting:  I will need to obtain new mounts, excpet the drivers side mount (stock will work).  these mounts can also come out of the Integra?

I used the teg tranny and rear mount, and the Civic front mount. Apparently the Civic rear mount will also work.
Drivetrain:  I will need to get an 85-87 Integra transmission, and the mounts for this transmission. (see.. I am confused already, cause the engine came out of Civics and I need an Integra transmission.

The ZC was used in numerous JDM/EDM cars, including the 1G CRX, 2G CRX, Integra, and various other vehicles. You can use either a ZC transmission, or the 1G teg transmission. Supposedly the ZC has slightly longer gearing. I do know that the teg has very short gears.
I will need to replace the clutch to handle the power of course.  Do I find a clutch that would fit an 85-87 Integra then?

Yup.
The axles will need to be replaced with 85-87 Integra axles as well, correct?  Something else with the axles too, I will need to replace?

Depends how you want to do it. You can use teg inner cups, and two passenger side CRX shafts and outer CV's. This is the most cost effective and probably easiest way. There are a couple others, I used teg axles and teg knuckles.
Computer related:  I can use my stock 87si ECU, but would be better off obtaining an Integra ECU.

Yes on both points.
More:  Also, I am interested in rebuilding the engine before I do the swap.  If I get the JDM spec, am I going to be able to find the parts necessary (gaskets, internals, new bolts if needed) easily?  Are these parts the same that came with the U.S. spec Integra?

Yes, but you don't need to rebuild them usually, unless you are trying to make more power. These engines typically have about 60,000km (45,000 miles) on them, so they are pretty fresh. THe general consensus is to change the oil and filter, timing belt, water pump, do a valve adjustment, maybe thermostat since it's so easy. You can get into seals and all that, but it may not be necessary. Your call on that one.
Most of my questions revolve around the fact that if I am getting the JDM spec ZC, do I have to get JDM spec parts too, or is the engine similar enough to the US spec Integra motor.. that I can use those parts?  I know I sound confused.. and I am... any help would be appreciated.
I believe just about everything is compatible from the USDM Integra.
Thanks guys,
Kirk

Our pleasure!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Red87CRXsi

• Granny
  • Pip
Thank you very, very much... as I plan more and think of things, I will ask my questions here.

Again, it is absolutely great to see a first gen specific site up and running.

Oh, here is a pic of my rex As-Is:

I know.. it still really needs to be lowered!

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
That's a sweet looking rex!  So are those rims!

JAKOB  :D
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That's a definite beauty. Where do you live? Obviously not Canada... smile.gif

Red87CRXsi

• Granny
  • Pip
Thanks for the good comments on the car  smile.gif

I live in Indiana, not too far of a drive up into Canada though.  For those who may ask, those are 15 in. Nippon Racing Rims, 12lbs a piece.  Got em for $399.

Oh, question.  How much should I plan on spending for the JDM ZC Swap?  Oh, and does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much my stock Si engine (94,000 miles on it) is worth?  I know this is a Canadian page (now I do), but if you could put up US prices, that would be great!

Again, thanks for the comments, she is my pride and joy.. love her to death!! hehe

Kirk

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Cost depends on whether you do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you, or take it to a shop. If you do it yourself, you should be able to come in under $1000, and you'd have to add labour for a shop to do it. As for the value of your current motor? Well, even though it's got relatively low mileage, I'm pretty sure there isn't much of a market for them. I wouldn't count on getting much more than $100-$200 for it, unless you get lucky.

1GCRXDX

• Going all out!
  • PipPipPipPip
I still don't have a buyer for my DX sad.gif   except I gave away the intake and carb but thats it.....anyone want the rest of the motor?  FREE biggrin.gif
If anyone can tell me somting better than a Weberized ZC I have yet to hear it!

SlowRexer

• JDM CRX (Junkyard Domestic Model)
  • PipPip
real perty car, great to see you got rid of the peashooter exhaust but still kept it tasteful
Who's this torque guy I keep hearing about?

1GCRXDX

• Going all out!
  • PipPipPipPip
haha
If anyone can tell me somting better than a Weberized ZC I have yet to hear it!

Red87CRXsi

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (SlowRexer @ June 25 2002,11:48)
real perty car, great to see you got rid of the peashooter exhaust but still kept it tasteful

As far as I know.. the exhaust is stock.  Am I wrong??

Saving for the ZC as we speak.. it's gona be great!

Kirk

SlowRexer

• JDM CRX (Junkyard Domestic Model)
  • PipPip
the stock exhaust only had 1 tip, the stock 2nd gen exhaust had dual tips
Who's this torque guy I keep hearing about?