34 replies to this topic

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Chedda J Custom

Now that im finally back in a machine shop where i have full access to metal lathes, welders, paint booths ect, I want to go through with my idea of making aluminum short shifters. The only issue that im having is finding a oem one so that i can copy the crutials, as in the rotating ball and bottom mount. If I could get you guys to post pictures of short shifter styles that you would like to see it would be appretiated. As for the old style shifter, if someone sent me one, i would have no problem sending them a prototype for free. I cant test the item myself until I swap this silly auto out of my civic.

If all goes well, then il make 10 or so and just stock them and sell them on ebay to keep everything legal when someone on the site wants one.

If i get some good feed back then my next item will be a overhead strut bar, that will be very reasoably priced.

As for any thing else that anyone wants made that involves machining or welding, just post your ideas. Winter is coming and i need some thing to do.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
im not on here as much as i used to be, but life happens. im pretty sure i have a couple old shifters laying around. let me do some digging tomorrow.

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
you do know 88-91 short shifters can easily be fitted to our linkage right? how about some affordable caster camber plates!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

I was not entirely aware of this, although this can be done, mine will still be probably more affordable and can be made entirely to each persons need. If there is no need for them, i will only make myself one.

QUOTE (kaymo @ Jul 26 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you do know 88-91 short shifters can easily be fitted to our linkage right? how about some affordable caster camber plates!

Sure i could do something like that on my milling machine. Again, pictures please.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
nearly, if not all of the 80's / early 90's model honda/acuras will fit. i saw a nice adjustable on ebay years ago, the ball moved up or down on a threaded shaft.... my homemade one is semi adjustable, but nothing special.. if you just want one solid piece, add an inch between the ball and where the linkage connects.

a b-swap hydro tranny mount would be nice, if you could do it up cheap
grimms mom

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Yeah to make the adjustable one would probably be a little pricey, it was just a tester anyways, like i said, if no one wants one then i wont make one. As for the trany mount, i would need all the dimensions before making something like that.

Wheel spacers i can do too, they are fairly easy.

I thinks someone was asking about fender braces too before i left the site.

custom intakes....

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 civic si
hey...perfect timing i guess ...i myself am looking for a short shifter ...you can put me down for one.....what would be the price range on them?..
So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"

kjeffery

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Crx SI, 06 Ford Focus, 08 Ford E-150
QUOTE (cahitapower @ Jul 26 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey...perfect timing i guess ...i myself am looking for a short shifter ...you can put me down for one.....what would be the price range on them?..

Count me in to if you make some.
I paint my hood black for that carbon fiber look!!

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
chedda, i am in no way tryin to bring ya down by killing your shifter idea lol by all means make them... i considered making my own short shifter as well.... but once i realized the 88-91 would fit and can be had on ebay so cheaply... it became rather silly to do much else. Carlandrews (now 1styearSI) purchased one of the cheapest ones he could find on ebay, and when it turned up it was STAMPED (not stickered) with BRIDE on the shifter! i've felt his and its great! mine is a chrome ebay one that came on one of my 4th gen civics and it works pretty well also.

again, im not trying to squash your ideas, but since shifters ARE so easy to get, and you are on of the few guys with machine shop access, your time could be better spent on making other cool parts!

i dont know how cheaply the C+C plates could be made, but i think if you got the price down you've have a good many people wanting these! including me! i have a machine shop as well, but just dont have the time or motivation to do it!

here's David's (firstgencrx) caster camber plates on the KAKABOX
i honestly havent checked to see if david is still making these or not... but his design looks very good. i dont know how he'd feel about someone else selling his design, but if he's not still making them himself im sure he wouldnt mind!

i do have to ask about your comment though...

QUOTE (chedda_j @ Jul 27 2009, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thinks someone was asking about fender braces too before i left the site.

are you leaving again? i thought you just bought that four door? DONT GO BUBBLES!!! WE LOVE YOU! lol

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (kaymo @ Jul 27 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i honestly havent checked to see if david is still making these or not... but his design looks very good. i dont know how he'd feel about someone else selling his design, but if he's not still making them himself im sure he wouldnt mind!

I am still making them, and I would mind. wink.gif

Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
OH! well i didnt know! i guess i havent seen the camber plate thread get bumped in a while... didnt know if you were still making them! im sure if you werent still making them you wouldnt mind right? someone WILL have to take over when you give up! lol when that day comes make sure and email me and chedda with some blueprints!!!

ok so no C+C plates (unless you design your own and want to try competing with david biggrin.gif but its hard to match such quality!)

anyone got any other ideas? OOOO how about a replacement upper intake for the SI that allows for a larger TB and keep an IACV?? we discussed this before.... i need to find that thread

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I made a short throw shifter from a stock unit by cutting the end off below the ball and adding an inch of steel using a bolt. I grinded a 3/8 wide trench on all three pieces by grinding at a 45 degree angle so there would be a large space to fill it with a large bead using a mig welder. After the shifter was welded back together I heat treated the welds by heating it red hot and quenching it in oil twice, then blue hot and quenched with water. The best part about the shifter is that it greatly reduced my throw, while still keeping the height of the shifter stock, so I don't have to reach so far down to shift. You know, the civic shifter is like a truck, so making it any shorter just makes for too much hand movement and way too much effort.

On a side note, I attempted to install a 4G shifter in my 3G and found that the pivot ball is much larger on the 4G than the 3G, enough that the plastic bushing wouldn't fit into the receiver. Having said that kaymo can you clear up how a 4G shifter can be made to fit on the 1G/3G? I've wanted to do this mod for the readily available parts to be had for the 4G... did you use the receiver as well as the shifter to make it fit? Some more info on this would be great!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

wentcrazycrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX,85 SI CRX 85 Straman,Ford F250, 89 HD sport
I believe there is little differences in the ball size from 84-87 to the 88 and newer. I tried to swap the 92 bushing into the 85 shifter parts and it wound not fit. I think i have a 84 shifter some ware and if not I'm going to cut my 85's receiver off and use an 92 TEg Shifter and receiver to add some length for my B swap. If you want one let me know How about the KAKA shifter He my have all the info.......you need

Chuck

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I thought I should mention one other thing: The plastic bushing/pivot pin at the bottom of the shift lever where it connects to the linkage is the same for at least the 84-87 and 88-91. I found this out when trying to replace the plastic bushing and pin, and found out that the plastic bushing seems to be moulded into the shifter as a unit, and is probably not replaceable. I still managed to push the pin and plastic bushing out of an 88-91 Civic and press it into my 84-87 unit. The bushing wasn't in the greatest shape but without it there was a ridiculous amount of play.

Yes, I can confirm that the ball size is different from the 3G-4G, where the 4G ball size is significantly larger.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
use the 88+ pivot cage and it works just fine. i will be putting an FLP shifter in mine eventually..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(