Any Last Minute Header Install Notes For Me?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
Ok, I have pretty much finished prepping the lightspeed header. All I need to do is clip the extra hose clamp off.

I have to do this install myself. I am giving myself about 6 hours of time to do it in. I have been unable to get any help. I was just wondering if there was anything specific I should be prepared for. My friend sayed the bolts at the cat can be siezed up pretty bad.

Anything about the gasket I should know, I haven't done anything like this before. What hardware should be replaced. I am replacing the 02 sensor while I'm at it. I've changed axles and changed the distributor, helped install my illuminas in the front, rotors...that's it pretty much. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Yes, I went against all that was said here and wrapped that header.. and I think I did a damn good job of it smile.gif

Kirk
No more CRX

nivek2002

the wrap does look well done, hope you have luck with it!

SPRAY EVERY BOLT WITH LIQUID WRENCH TONIGHT!

Be very carefull with the bolts in the block they can and will break easily. Good luck!

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si
Just curious, why would you be told not to wrap the header? I always thought the header wrap was a good idea......Have fun man.... I havent messed with mine YET but it seems like its going to be a HUGE PITA just because of how hard changing the plugs was..Also where in Northern VA? I live in West VA and if it wasn't to far I might be able to come help out haha. I am always up for meeting new friends and helping out working on cars biggrin.gif

Edited by oldschoolsi, 12 June 2004 - 12:30 AM.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
when i put a header on my car, it had the biggest power increase from any other mod i did.. the turbo might change that.... but still, have fun man...

good luck. the header looks sick man.... sick...

chris biggrin.gif
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Thanks guys, I spent a lot of time on it, and as I stated before.. if it lasts a year or two it's worth it. I bought the header for $75.

Header wrap can cause a header to warp or crack because of the heat the header is subjected to when wrapped. It helps keep engine bay temps down.

I hope I don't run into any big problems. Rampage said once I remove the skid plate, it's a straight drop and re-install from the bottom of the car. I will let some liquid wrench soak those bolts for a while before I attempt.

Anything else? I'm really nervouse about starting and not being able to finish this job.. haha. I hope I don't mess something up biggrin.gif

Kirk
No more CRX

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (87Si @ Jun 12 2004, 02:43 AM)
Header wrap can cause a header to warp or crack because of the heat the header is subjected to when wrapped. It helps keep engine bay temps down.

I would assume the header was cheaply made with poor materials then. Wraping a header is a good idea. Here is what i learned. As gasses are cooled down, the temp change in the gas slows it down. Wraping a header helps the gas to stay heated and causes it to flow better. So aside from it being a bad idea because of warped or cracked headers, then hell, you might want to invest in a custom made one that will last longer.

You can do this in well under 6 hours. 2 hours if you are being carefull and everything. Lube the bolts up, let it sit for 30 mins or so, spray again and come back in the morning to remove it. jack the car up, place on jack stands, place blocks on the back tires, remove the skid plate, remove the bolts on the header, remove the bolts on the cat and take off the header. Install the new header in the reverse order. Torque everything down to spec, and your done.

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
Hey 87SI what part of VA are you in? If you arent to far from Charles Town West VA and want some help gimme a call. I will PM you my cell #. I'm not doing to much today thanks to the mail service not running yesterday. All I need is my fender flares to finish my car!

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
QUOTE (87Si @ Jun 12 2004, 01:43 AM)
Thanks guys, I spent a lot of time on it, and as I stated before.. if it lasts a year or two it's worth it.  I bought the header for $75.

I hope I don't run into any big problems.  Rampage said once I remove the skid plate, it's a straight drop and re-install from the bottom of the car.  I will let some liquid wrench soak those bolts for a while before I attempt.

Anything else?  I'm really nervouse about starting and not being able to finish this job.. haha.  I hope I don't mess something up  biggrin.gif

Kirk

the cat bolts wont be a problem, they come off easy, its the ones that are on the OTHER side of the cat on the exhaust side not the header side that sieze..

I would be more worried about the header bolts them selves, they can break real easy, i hear all kinds of 3g teg guys breaking theirs...

Other then that its a pretty straight forward swap.. just get the car up high and you should be fine.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (oldschoolsi @ Jun 12 2004, 08:33 AM)
Hey 87SI what part of VA are you in? If you arent to far from Charles Town West VA and want some help gimme a call. I will PM you my cell #. I'm not doing to much today thanks to the mail service not running yesterday. All I need is my fender flares to finish my car!

Thanks for the offer! I live in Alexandria, so it's not a short distance. But I found a friend (eastsiderider) to help me out tomorrow, so I will have access to a garage and some tools. I should be set. Got the PB Balster ready!

If all goes well (and I hope it does), I should be sporting this header tomorrow, mid afternoon. Either way, you'll here from me.. with pics of a nicely installed header or some broken bolts in the block dry.gif

Thanks for your help guys,
Kirk
No more CRX

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
We've never done a header where at least one of the manifold bolts didn't break...hopefully you had better luck than that!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
intresting i hear ALL kinds of stories about the bolts breaking but *knocking on wood* when i did my header i didn't break one bolt and when i did the clutch i took the header off and *knocking on wood again* not on broke hmmm maybe i just got lucky i dunno but use the liquid wrench then also another thing if u dunce gots any use the truly amazing WD-40 it works also

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (rpr @ Jun 13 2004, 08:15 PM)
We've never done a header where at least one of the manifold bolts didn't break...hopefully you had better luck than that!

Yeah, unfortunately that happened......we were almost done when it happened dry.gif Other than that the header installation was a complete success. Kirk (87Si) took some pics, so i'm sure he will post them when he gets home.........which should be in about 30 mins, he left here 10 mins ago.
SportInjectedClub

viper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Blue 86 CRX DX, Black 87 CRX Si
I didn't break any bolts installing my header, but I found that one was already broken off when I removed the manifold. Around 5k rpm the header starts buzzing when the exhaust leaks.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
to remove a broken stud get 2 bolts thead them on the stub have them tight against each other and turn the direction to remove stud...