Wd40 And Oil?

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
does it affect oil to have some wd40 in it?

Gasoline Fumes

How much is some? I don't think it should be a problem unless it's enough to thin the oil.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Only if its a small amount. Too much at its just going to thin out the oil, act more like a motor flush than a lubricant. You can tell that its not very viscous when you get some on your fingers and rub them together, its not slippery at all.

If you mean you accidentally sprayed some into the oil fill, don't worry about it. If joe schmuck said it would make your motor preform better, and you stuck half a can in, change your oil.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Ever wonder about the name WD-40? A company in San Diego was looking for a Water Displacement agent for aerospace work. The 40th try was the winner. Hence the name WD-40. So it is really good for drying out a wet distributor.

I use WD-40 but for lubrication I prefer Triflolan or silicon spray.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
WD-40 is not really the most ideal penetrating oil, for me, but I use it because there is plenty in the garage. At work we have Thrust, and that stuff just completely soaks whatever and does a great job. It lasted so long, the day after I did my CV shafts was the BC Meet, and everyone thought I had a brake fluid leak laugh.gif

WD-40 does have another good use.... flamethrower. ph34r.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok... heres the idea, i had my engine rebuilt, the parts were sprayed with wd40 to lub them up. Its been a while since i was sprayed and i want to lub the engine before initial start up, hence the question about the wd40 and oil. I know the oils goin to be changed in the near future, but i just want to make sure. I have a can of triflow (lubricant with teflon) so should i spray that instead of wd40 before i put the oil in? The engines pretty much new (i still need to add oil) so i just wanted to lub the parts that the oil wouldn't hit when adding oil into valve cover (oil cap on one side of the valve cover, which won't hit the other rockers and cam on the other side of the valve cover). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

DarkHand

Is it a freshly built engine? As in never yet started? Hopefully when it was built every moving part was given a good slathering of assembly lube and you should be fine.
DarkHand

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Oil was used. I'm really not to worried about the lower end because the bearings will be lubed (and are lubed already) cause the oil will soak into the oil pan. Just was curious.... anyone else?

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I still wouldn't use WD-40. I would rather get an oil can with a flexible end, stick it in the oil filler, and try to fire it over to the farthest end of the motor, or better yet, just pull the valve cover, its only two bolts, and then liberally coat the whole top end!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99 Q45T, 90 E250, 94 Aerostar, 87 Crx Si, 73 Krager Kustom Koach,68 BMW 1600, Vista FV, Margay Brava KT-100, 77 KZ650B, 72 Raleigh Professional, 66 Schwinn Panther, etc.
WD-40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant. It cuts the oil. Many bearing manufacturers will void the warranty on their industrial sealed bearings if they find WD-40 has been sprayed on them. On large 8-10" bearings, it is well worth a little x-ray flouresence to verify failure mode before you send out a replacement.

And to get the name correct, this is from the WD-40 website:

What does WD-40 stand for?
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

Duct tape trivia.

B20vtec86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (UltimX @ Mar 31 2004, 07:21 PM)
Oil was used. I'm really not to worried about the lower end because the bearings will be lubed (and are lubed already) cause the oil will soak into the oil pan. Just was curious.... anyone else?

why not prime the motor before start ..just unplug ecu fuse or dist and crank till oil light go off.
86 crx [email protected] allmotor--SOLD
00 S2000 -stock-SOLD

86 toyota 4runner SAS 36" tsl
locked front and rear w/5.29 gears
dual t-case with 4.7 gears
over 100:1 crawling ratio

76 civic cvcc -quest for mpg

I'm done with speed

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Actually, if you were to do that, you would want to crank a lot longer than just to get the oil light out, because the oil pressure sensor is right after the oil filter, so if you get that to go out, you still won't have flow to the top of the head.

I would suggest doing that, but crank the motor longer, try 4 15 second bursts with 10 second pauses, that way you get a full minute of flow, but won't burn out your starter motor.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok so ex-na on the wd40. priming okay.

pandaew

never use WD-40 on any bearing or similar moving parts. I only use it to remove suface rust. But I recommand engine oil instead.