• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

Non-Ricer_Civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Toyota Hilux 2WD
    Garage View Garage
Wanting to know if the Wagovan AWD/4WD system will bolt up onto a stock 86 Civic hatchback (soon to have a 1.3, the current 1.5 is blown)? I don't have a lot of money for modding, so want to know if it can be done for cheap using junkyard parts from the 84-87 Wagovans or even from the 88-91 Wagovans (if possible). I'm sorry if this has come up a lot, but I searched with Google and didn't find very much for these generations of Civics.

If Hasport or any other companies make conversion kits, a link would be awesome.

I also have an 87 Civic hatchback, that I could "play" around with, parts wise for now. I still need to get the title for it (could be considered an abandoned vehicle). The previous owner lost the title, sold it to a woman here locally, and still couldn't find it. This lady then sold it to me for $150 for parts, and has a GREAT running engine (that's the 1.3 I will swap into my 86). I would keep the engine in it and try to apply for an abandoned vehicle or do the certified letter thing, but I don't want to risk losing the engine and CV axles (both of the 86's are clicking). I did a little research, no stolen reports and no stolen ads on CL for any 84-87 Civics, and I've owned it for 3 weeks now, so I don't think anything is up with this car.

87dxhatch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: honda
Are you asking if you have all the parts from a 4wd (engine, Trans, axles, knuckles) will they bolt into a hatch?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
The wiki has something about this.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Non-Ricer_Civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Toyota Hilux 2WD
    Garage View Garage
Yes, say I have everything from a wagovan, aside from the car chassis itself, will it bolt up to a hatch without any major modification.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Very different, would need extensive work.

hatch rear:
Posted Image

4wd wagon rear:
Posted Image
Posted Image

You can see that not only does the 4WD use 5 bars instead of the 2 trailing arms and a panhard bar, but you have to consider the gas tank is where the drive shaft needs to go, unless you really raise the car up and there is also the different spring mounts.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

87dxhatch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: honda
If I remember correctly it has been pulled off by a guy with a crx on here many years ago. It took extensive fabrication work. My personal experience was that almost everything was different between the 4wd wagon and hatch except for the cylinder head.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Not even close between the two. Unless you are a master fabricator I wouldnt recommend it.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com