87 civic (weber carb)

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

Lawless

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
I installed a weber carb awhile back on a 1.5 motor and now I'm having a hard time getting it to run. I replaced the fuel filters, put a new pump on, pluged the return line but it still doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel plus it's runing hot, lean, .

At first we thought the pressure was to high and it was overloading the carb as it would bog in 5th at 3k and lose power. so I installed a pressure regulater which failed and wasn't letting any fuel through, that pissed me off, so it was back to no regulater .

I have the air/ fuel backed out about 2 turns from seat.

Any suggestions?

Also was wondering if I need the charcoal canister as it is just has the line open currently?

dacollier1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, with ZC original owner
I assume you have a 32/36 DGV (or DGAV or DGEV).  If so, you need between 1.75 and 4 psi fuel pressure (and it seemed to prefer steady pressure regrdless of RPM....like an electric pump would provide).   I tired to run 4.5 psi once to compensate for something else on a 32/36 DGV (not Honda) and it was more than it could handle and flooded it at idle, so it's pretty sensative.  Check what you have and then decide if you need a pressure regulator or not.

Air fuel screw backed out 2 turns is about right.  You can adjust it another turn either way without too much wierdness...maybe even to 4 turns out.  

If the regulator and a little more fiddling with the screw won't cut it, it's time for jet changes.   All 32/36 series come from Weber with the same jet setting...standard formula Ford setting for 1.6 liter.   Weber only sells carbs, so they don't know what it's going ot end up on.  Very few manifold companies change the settings to make it work for the car they know it will go on.  Haynes publishes a book on webers that is not too bad and covers the downdraughts.   Moss Motors sells it for less than $20.  (www.mossmotors.com).