I New To Changing Engines

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

oeldisplay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx
hi ive been offered a 94 civic si with a v-tech, and i have a 85 crx the motor dont run anymore so ive been thinking of buying the car and droping the motor into my car.
so my first ? is will i need new motor mounts or custom ones?
second its now a auto (94 civic) i hate auto i love stick and my crx is stick so will i beable to use my 85 crx tranny with the 94 v-tech engine?
so basially sense im new to this what will i need new or newer to put a 94 v-tech with auto tranny into my 85 crx with a manule tranny and i want my car to stay stick there the only cars i drive.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
This is going to be a high difficulty swap, but possible. To answer your questions, you need custom mounts. No company makes these particular mount, so you'd have to make your own, difficult but not impossible. Your other question, no way you'd be able to use that tranny and that engine. No way. You'd have to get some other transmission. The linkage you'd have to make yourself. Then you'd have to use the complete wiring harness from the 94 Civic and change the connectors for various 85 CRX components.

You've selected a difficult swap. The only one on this board who has done anything like this is rpr. See his gallery and his postings of his car.

If you do pull this one off, you will have a hot car, though.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 16 February 2005 - 10:41 PM.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

RTM

I put a 93 d15b7 in mine. Make your on mounts its not that hard as long as you have a weilder. Get a tranny, shift linkage and manual ecu from the junkyard. You can shorten the shift and stabilizer bar easily. Like the previous post said take the full chassis and engine harness out and swap the connectors. The wiring isn't that bad all of the wires are still the same colors so just match them up. Is your CRX an SI? if not youll also have to convert to fuel injection. Easiest way to do that is get an si fuel tank fuel pump and main fuel line. I just finished this swap so any more quesstion just ask.

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
v-tech? try VTEC
v-tech is the kind of phone i use.
don't mind me team-integra.net has ruined me. mad.gif
it's late and i am tired ignore this post please. smile.gif

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, I haven't done that exact swap, but yeah, all the above info is what you need to do. The level of difficulty is high if you have a carbed CRX, since you need to convert to fuel injection as well. We basically custom made all the mounts, altered the shift linkage, exhaust, etc. If you don't have a welder, a donor CRX SI, and a whole lot of time, I wouldn't consider it.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Feb 17 2005, 10:43 AM)
Well, I haven't done that exact swap, but yeah, all the above info is what you need to do. The level of difficulty is high if you have a carbed CRX, since you need to convert to fuel injection as well. We basically custom made all the mounts, altered the shift linkage, exhaust, etc. If you don't have a welder, a donor CRX SI, and a whole lot of time, I wouldn't consider it.

Well compared to fabricating the mounts and putting in the wiring harness, increasing the fuel pressure for FI will be a cake walk.

You don't need fuel pick up, fuel tank, fuel lines from an FI vehicle. You hear this again and again on this board, and it's just not true. Ask crxls about this, and he'll tell you about it.

You're not going to need any parts from the Si to do this.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 17 February 2005 - 11:15 AM.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If you want to do it RIGHT, then you should use the SI stuff. Sure it might work the other way....

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM)
If you want to do it RIGHT, then you should use the SI stuff. Sure it might work the other way....

What would be right about using those old parts? Seriously, I wonder. I would use an MSD pump, the stock hard line, replace the soft lines, add a new fuel filter and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. What would be wrong with that? The downside of the Si tank is its bigger and a ton of work to get that stuff replaced. Rodney runs a B18 off the stock lines. It makes sense when you think about it. MPG between the engines are roughly the same, so fuel consumption is the same.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, if you've ever compared the two (SI versus carbed) the lines are much bigger on the SI. In this area I tend to trust Honda engineering, and go with what they do. You don't have to, and it might work for you, but I'd rather do it like it was from the factory.

oeldisplay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx
thanx for the info people, but i do have a si.

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That helps, but the hard part is not the FI conversion, it's everything else. I have pics of my build here, they may or may not help you....

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Which axles, knuckles, hubs, and spindles did you use?

buymysoul

• Still for sale
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 Integra LSS, 87 CRX Si
I have a question, although my orignal assumption may be flawed.

Ok, a hydro B series bolts straight into a 94 civic Si, right?

So...couldn't you just use the hasport B series mounts to do this swap?

Although why you'd spend $600 in mounts to put a $300 engine in your car, I don't know....yes, yes, unles you wanted to supercharge it...or for shits and giggles...right, right biggrin.gif
-Robin

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (buymysoul @ Feb 17 2005, 05:24 PM)
Although why you'd spend $600 in mounts to put a $300 engine in your car, I don't know....yes, yes, unles you wanted to supercharge it...or for shits and giggles...right, right  biggrin.gif

The cost of the engine mounts really doesn't have anything to do with the cost of the engine. So if you want the mounts, you can have them for $600. Otherwise, you can do the alternative, make your own.