Car Died! Ahhh!

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I was going to the store in my CRX Si, and it just died out, battery light came on. Now, won't start, turns over good, turned on once for about 5 seconds. Any ideas?

Battery? Would a bad alternator do this? Clogged fuel filter? Thanks for the help guys, thats weird.

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (chrisandsarahb @ Jun 16 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to the store in my CRX Si, and it just died out, battery light came on. Now, won't start, turns over good, turned on once for about 5 seconds. Any ideas?

Battery? Would a bad alternator do this? Clogged fuel filter? Thanks for the help guys, thats weird.

Starter?

syko_tek1

check the ground on the thermostat housing it's the ground for the ecu and if loose or corroded it wont start.

crxeditsmall.jpg

b16cRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si
your fuel pump could of took a crap, saw that same type of thing on my buddies EF.

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
Weird! Here's the latest, took the battery out to have it checked out, they said it was great, not bad. Put it back in the car, tried to start it again, still turned over strong, but no start. Started looking around in the engine bay for loose wires and what not, didn't find anything. Tried to start it again, this time, fired right up! What the heck? At least I got it back home where I can now ponder what the heck that was, and will it happen again.

redrex

• de de de
  • PipPip
    • Drives: crx hf
thats a lose ground. when you where checking the wires you prob moved one of them enough that you had it where it made good contact. check your grounds
just click and your in the pics

http://www.redpepper...llery/v/redrex/

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
When looking for the loose wire, were you just visually inspecting or tugging on things? If you were tugging, it's possible something is not "loose" because they were corroded.

Maybe just systematically remove, clean, and reinstall the wires?

But it does sound like you have a ghost in the electrical system.

Edited by EuphoricBlue, 16 June 2007 - 11:12 PM.

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The same thing happend to me and it was my fuel pump going out, I would drive to the store and it wouldn't start. I would mess with stuff and then it would, I think it might be a bad groung or contact but if it does do it again try to listen for the fuel pump(left rear fender whale) to see if it is working so you can rule that out. It kicks on for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position in case you didn't know.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
Yah, I'm pretty sure I heard it whizzing when I was trying to start it, but not sure. I'll have to keep my eye on it. I have an 86 integra parts car, maybe I could pull the pump off of that if it'll fit and work.

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
my car used to do that... it was like a windows computer... i had to push down the ground, wiggle the live, and have someone turn the ignition and it would start... it ended up being the contacts...
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

redrex

• de de de
  • PipPip
    • Drives: crx hf
QUOTE (PowerWheels86 @ Jun 17 2007, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my car used to do that... it was like a windows computer... i had to push down the ground, wiggle the live, and have someone turn the ignition and it would start... it ended up being the contacts...

dame power wheels. next thing youll be doing is jumping on one foot while patting your head and rubbing your tummy. but hey what ever keeps it alive.
just click and your in the pics

http://www.redpepper...llery/v/redrex/

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
#1 - Bad Ground

#2 - Bad Fuel Pump

#3 - Fuel Pump Relay under the dash. If you don't hear the fuel pump spool up, it could be this relay.

Good Luck
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
Well, it happen to me again today. Pooped out, turned it over and over, could hear the fuel pump working, and after a while, could smell gas fumes out the tail pipe. hmmmm. Tested for spark, nothing. WEIRD! So I remembered I did a tune up about a month ago and while I was putting in new cap, rotor, etc.. I replaced the ignition module with a new one I picked up dirt cheap on Ebay. Just figured while I was there, might as well make use of it. I am thinking the new ignition module crapped out somehow. Good thing I kept the original. Slapped that baby back in, and so far so good. I guess thats a lesson learned, don't fix something that ain't broke.

Crossing fingers now that that was what the problem was.

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (redrex @ Jun 17 2007, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dame power wheels. next thing youll be doing is jumping on one foot while patting your head and rubbing your tummy. but hey what ever keeps it alive.

hahaha yeah i fixed it though... i hate having to push start my car... it looks ghetto... and doesn't make for a very good ending when you're with a date...
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
So far so good rolleyes.gif