Car Falling On Its Face Again

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

I had this problem last year.  Coming out of a left 180 on the autocross course, the car falls on its face on acceleration.  It feels dead for a few seconds and then kicks in.  It's costing me time on the course.

It's ONLY on 180 degree turnarounds to the left (counterclockwise), not right sweepers, or left right 90s, or right left 90s, or slolams, or anything else.  Just the 180 degree turnarounds,

I had replaced the spark plug wires, and it seemed to help, but this weekend it was doing it again.

Any ideas?  This is on an 87 CRX Si with an 85 Si engine.  It's heavily modified but the engine is basically stock.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

How much fuel in the tank?  You could have fuel starvation as the pump pickup is momentarily left sucking air.  I regularly have this on a hard  corner when the fuel is low and the g force is high - then its time to go in a refuel, even though there is about a fifth of a tank left.

Also had blue smoke out the exhaust when I change direction from a hard left to hard right and the oil in the pan moves from being piled up one side to piling into up onto the cylinder wall of number one. Had me worried until a worked it out.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Bars84CRX

• 84 CRX, 1 owner. :D
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 67 Corvair Convertible, Royal Plum, Powerglide, 84 CRX, teg discs, weber carb, Si head, stock body otherwise, 1 owner
    Garage View Garage

Anjin makes a good point, however there should be a good delay between the turn and the 'fall on face' b/c the amount of fuel in the line. If this was a carb'd car I'd say your float level is low, too.

Since you changed plug wires and it seemed to help, then I suggest locking down those wires (coil included) b/c they might be moving and causing a grounding situation.

The easy test is to first carry a bit more fuel.

84 CRX, 1 owner, Latest mod is an Si head, Weber carb, stock bottom end/trans/body/interior.  Rough sanded exterior in prep for primer, removed and rebuilt bumpers.

67 Corvair Convertible, Royal Plum, factory power top, 2 spd Powerglide, 110 hp

03 Dodge Ram 3500 towing vehicle, Quad Cab Long Bed Dually.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

I hadn't considered that.  I usually put a few gallons in and call it good to save weight.  Maybe I need to go with at least a half tank.

It was worse on Saturday than Sunday, and I only put gas in Saturday.  It did get worse over the course of both days, though.

I'll go with a few more gallons next time.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

Fuel pump sucking air was gonna be my guess.  My only experience with this was my first carbed engine and I was running out of fuel.  But the effect was immediate.  Turning left under ful throttle will apparently empty a bowl before you can exit a corner.  It would fire back up as soon as i straightened out.  With fuel injection, I don't think the fuel in the line would matter if there is no pressure to push it through the line.  Pump loses prime, fuel rail pressure bottoms out?  Correct me if I'm wrong.