• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
okay i know a lot of us here on RPR have swapped a D-series into our cars, one because it's cheap and two because it's easy... but i was wondering how many people went SOHC over DOHC? i'm not trying to start a flame war between which is better, i just want to know whether you took the SOHC route or the DOHC... yes i understand the difference... i'd also like to know if you think the market is more favourable to a SOHC D-series or a DOHC D-series? reason for the second question was, i was looking for some cams for a D-series and i got more single cams than double cam deals... maybe i wasn't looking hard enough...

Much Appreciation
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If your talking the EW SOHC, theres way more support for the DOHC because they have alot in common with the 88+ SOHC's.

IF your talking about the 88+ SOHC then theres more aftermarket for them than the DOHC Dseries.
Posted Image

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depends what state also, If you live in a strict smog state you have SLIM PICKINGS. Swaps are almost out of the question, and to make them legal they have to be BAR (bureau of automotive repair) certified and pass a strict visual, and load roller smog test.

People do them but they are not legal and if caught will suffer BIG TIME financially..

I prefer the good old SOHC,OEM motor ..K.I.S.S. is my motto in California.. easy to smog, easy to modify and return parts back to stock for smog etc...

IN NO SMOG STATES GO ALL OUT I SAY!!! why not...

sleepin87crx

• Surf Ninja
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx
i went the DOHC route...to be exact i went the browntop zc route...i live in cali and got it ref'd...and i just had to get a new cat and it passed smog this past week biggrin.gif
dont gotta look good just work good

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jul 31 2007, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends what state also, If you live in a strict smog state you have SLIM PICKINGS. Swaps are almost out of the question, and to make them legal they have to be BAR (bureau of automotive repair) certified and pass a strict visual, and load roller smog test.

People do them but they are not legal and if caught will suffer BIG TIME financially..

I prefer the good old SOHC,OEM motor ..K.I.S.S. is my motto in California.. easy to smog, easy to modify and return parts back to stock for smog etc...

IN NO SMOG STATES GO ALL OUT I SAY!!! why not...

okay no smog so you can go all out...

DeivionCRX it would be like an 88 Teg DOHC because the year seems right, in comparison to a '88+ non V-tec SOHC
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think even in smog states as long as the motor you put in is the same or newer than what came originaly your ok, and of course it needs to run right.

So if youve got a 86 Si, you can use anything 86+ as long as it will pass emissions by itself, Sometimes JDM stuff makes it complicated but you just have to prove how old it is, and that it pass's emissions.
Posted Image

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
I liked my SOHC engines, but ask any DOHC owner if they regret the swap and I'd say 99% would say no regrets. My ZC passes MD emissions fine. Better in fact than the SOHC one did. Why couldn't you put a D16A1 into a CRX in a smog state? The D16A1 is a US street legal motor that passes emissions, and adheres to EPA standards set at the time. Why can't you put that in in Cali? Just curious.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
^ You can, BUT it must be refereed and B.A.R. certified to be "legal". Everything on the engine should be OEM stock or CARB certified for THAT vehicle (NO AEM GSR INTAKES modifed to fit a d16a1), You cant even have colored hoses etc.. no ghetto wiring etc.. YOU NEED MORE THAN JUST A CAT TO PASS, you need all the smog equipment hooked up from the new motor , PCV , ,CAT,evp..ETC..

on newer motors you actually need the gas tank/fuel pump.. from the vehicle you got the motor from etc..
THEN you have to pass the visual,and then the roller smog.

Engine and Tranny have to be the same year OF THE CAR or newer.. No 86 Integra motors/tranny in a 1987 crx si..

You will make MANY, MANY trips to the referee station.

Its really harder on the newer stuff like k20's in a EG/EF... but a d16a1 into a crx/civic chassis would be a breeze and very smoggable If done clean and correct...

Then you will have a plate/sticker on your doorjamb or firewall that states it is refereed and what motor etc..

ANY PICS OF THE PLATE SLEEPIN87CRX?

here is a pic of one...

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
I like the SOHC there lighter get good MPG and they make good power for being a lil motor.My EG is a SOHC and i have beatin a few DOHC teg.
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

jay_1gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Wow I hear this everytime "lighter" by what 50pounds??? LOSE WEIGHT ... lol. No but really think about it in a DOHC you have 2 intake and exhaust valve, its a stonger base to have preformance, and definatly a better motor for boost. I've got a DOHC Brown Top and I had a D15A1 befor and I woudn't go back.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
This subject goes on forever lol.

Well my argument would be money to money and labor.

I bought my 85 si for $1200

My friend also bought one for $1200

He paid $1100 for someone to swap a 89 DOHC Teg motor in it (motor plus labor)

BOTH OF THE CARS WERE BONE STOCK MODIFICATION WISE

AT THE TRACK< I ran CONSISTANT 16.0X even @ 84MPH he ran CONSISTANT 16.0X even @ 86MPH pretty much same 60ft etc with the DOHC.. almost identical runs, but he posted a higher trap every time.

Now if I put $1200 into my SOHC exhaust($100),header($200),intake(freebie),port and polish milled head($700) and a camshaft($200)
I would tear him a new asshole, and probably take some other swapped cars along the way...

BUT the DOHC has a higher HP threshold as far as rotating assemblies go and can NET more HP than a SOHC in the longrun.

NOW THE QUESTION IS IF YOU SWAP WHY NOT JUST SWAP A B-SERIES RATHER THAN 86-89 integra d16?
because its easier and cheaper right? well sticking with a SOHC is easier and cheaper to me..

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
I have a 1984 Civic S that has been converted to an Si in Los Angeles, California.

I have a modified 1985 CRX Si Engine that passes the California Smog Test easily.
I did have to get the Civic inspected by the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and the BAR installed a new Vehicle Identification Plate inside my driver's door.

I had no problems with my BAR Inspection other than HydroCarbons being a little high due to the Cam I am running.
The BAR Inspector kept complimenting me on what a clean job we did with the swap.
Everything was installed properly, and everything worked.
The BAR Inspector kept saying "It looks like your car came with this engine from the factory".

One of the main reasons I stayed with the 1.5 SOHC was that I wanted my engine to look 'stock'.
The only obvious mods to my engine are the CAI and the Header.
My stock throttle body has been bored to the max by RC Engineering, but looks stock.
I have oversized Lucas Injectors, but no one notices.
Pop my hood, and my engine doesn't look like anything special at all.

Another reason was simply economic.
I already had a Mugen Limited Slip Differential, and a Mugen 4.93 Final Drive.
I did not want to spend the big dollars for a new LSD for the 1.6 DOHC trans.
I also had the rare Mugen kit that allows the installation of an Integra Clutch and Flywheel via a modified throw out bearing at the time of the swap.

I have never had my car on a drag strip, but my drag racing friends insist that it runs a high 13/low 14 quarter mile.
It also get 30 miles per gallon at 80 to 85 miles per hour, even with the 4.93 Final Drive.
I am currently looking for a 1987 CRX HF 5th gear cluster to install in my trans.
Then I will be able to get 30 mpg at 90 to 95 mph.
Can any of the DOHC cars that run 14s or less get 30 mpg?

It is nearing time for an engine rebuild (rings and rod bearings, rebuild the cylinder head), and I have several additional parts to install when I rebuild the engine.

I currently have an adjustable cam gear, a fully centrifugal distributer, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a 1993 Civic Si Intake Manifold and Throttle Body that have been modified to fit my engine.

Low 13s on a 1.5 SOHC?

I love my Civic........

Edited by Madkore, 01 August 2007 - 02:01 PM.

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

sleepin87crx

• Surf Ninja
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx

heres the pic of mines haha sry for all the covering up didnt know wat to cover up ph34r.gif

i dont regret swapping out the sohc...and i know since i drive from the bay area back to so cal once in awhile my money was well spent...my d15 wouldnt survive

when on freeway i drive 80-85 mph...i get about 29-31mpg...for 1/4 mile time i dont know ive never taken it to the track

Edited by sleepin87crx, 01 August 2007 - 02:07 PM.

dont gotta look good just work good

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
my 87 CRX Si ran a 15.4 on a bone stock 87 d16a1. The best time the previous owner ever got with the 1.5L even with I/H/E was almost a full second slower. Theres no doubt in my mind that the 1.6L is far superior to the 1.5L.

Doing the whole swap can cost as little as $500 if you find the right donor car. And in doing so you get freebies such as larger and 4 wheel disc brakes. Its a no brainer if you ask me, unless you already have a ton of performance stuff for the 1.5L like Madkore.

For anyone considering going from a stock 1.5L to a 1.6L, DO IT, youll never regret it.

ChrisF-dude